PDA

View Full Version : Finally tracked down Tri Tip in the UK

Eggtastico
05-17-2014, 10:43 AM
My brothers partner's uncle is Butcher (I kept forgetting) and he knows exactly the cut I want for a trip tip from what I showed him.
To confuse matters, he calls it a point end! he said its a cut he recommends & comes from the Sirloin/Rump base.

It can also be known as a point steak - but each butcher can call it anything

unzippy
05-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Useful to know, how did you rate it compared to ribeye?

Titch
05-18-2014, 04:45 AM
I will be interested in what you think.
The cut I get called Tri Tip from Costco here underwhelms me a lot:noidea:
I have followed a lot of recipes here.
maybe our beef is too young or lean . no idea.
What are you going to do with yours.?

ShadowDriver
05-18-2014, 05:47 AM
UnZippy,

For grilling, I'd easily place a ribeye over tri-tip. Ribeye is just about my favorite cut of steak for general grilling.

loco_engr
05-18-2014, 05:48 AM
Might as well try hanger steak (aka Butchers Steak) !
That is the cut butchers took home with them, there is a reason for that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanger_steak
HTH

Brontoburger
05-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Might as well try hanger steak (aka Butchers Steak) !
That is the cut butchers took home with them, there is a reason for that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanger_steak
HTH

Good to know. Can't be any worse than the Flat Iron steak I had recently at a high end restaurant. Tasted great, but chewchewchewchewchewchewchewchewchewchew! Not overdone either. I thought I was back in France! (They do their beef VERY rare and chewy.)

CharredApron
05-18-2014, 06:13 AM
Good to know. Can't be any worse than the Flat Iron steak I had recently at a high end restaurant. Tasted great, but chewchewchewchewchewchewchewchewchewchew! Not overdone either. I thought I was back in France! (They do their beef VERY rare and chewy.)
I love my Onglet, and they are chewy because they are so lean, no fat, grass fed, and not grain finished. The same as a grass fed Hanger steak in the States.

Eggtastico
05-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Ribeye is my favourite cut.
I am picking the tri tip up thursday, ready for the bank holiday.

Now i know where it is found (the triangular base of a uk rump) i can try the slaughterhouse butcher i normally get my meat from.

aawa
05-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Ribeyes are my favorite steaks hand down for grilling.

Tri Tip I wouldn't consider it in the same group as a steak. I would put it in a group with london broils, bottom rounds roasts, etc for Roast beef. You can cook it at 135 degrees internal temp and cut against the grain and it is nice and tender and good flavor. Or you can let it go till the connective tissues break down and the meat becomes nice and tender. I like tri-tip, but it isn't my go to cut of beef.

Eggtastico
05-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I just want to give it a try. £10 a kg, so it is a cheap cut compared to a decent steak