PDA

View Full Version : Need some side ideas please

FISHJR58
05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
There are probably a ton of threads about this topic but I will give it a shot anyways... I love grillin meat and smokin but whenever I have company over, I have no idea what to make for sides... I am lookin for something I can enjoy as well as my friends and family but I am stuck in a rutt... Any suggestions brethren?? I'm not a big fan of coleslaw but most people come over askin for it... I just need a lil push from all of yall because I trust my brethren...

ssv3
05-16-2014, 08:18 PM
I share your pain brotha! I usually tell my company smoked/grilled meats and beer/liquor on me and sides on you. It's never an issue for obvious reasons:-D

I'm single so aint no time or willingness to be making salads or sides etc.

oldbill
05-16-2014, 08:45 PM
There are probably a ton of threads about this topic but I will give it a shot anyways... I love grillin meat and smokin but whenever I have company over, I have no idea what to make for sides... I am lookin for something I can enjoy as well as my friends and family but I am stuck in a rutt... Any suggestions brethren?? I'm not a big fan of coleslaw but most people come over askin for it... I just need a lil push from all of yall because I trust my brethren... I like to make sour cream potatoes. Make mashed potatoes as you normally would, then add sour cream and crumbled fried bacon and stir them into the potatoes. Spread the mixture into a casserole dish, cover with shredded cheddar cheese and bake in a 350 oven until the cheese is melted.
I like to serve it with fresh chives on top.:-D

toymaster
05-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Do you want side dishes that you cook on the grill or in the oven?

Dadeo719
05-16-2014, 09:18 PM

That's what I was going to ask. If you got room on your grill/smoker then you could do a pan of beans while everything is cooking they are the easiest I think. You could always do some ABTs or stuffed mushrooms on the grill to. The old camping stand by of diced potatoes, onions, and peppers with EVOO butter and seasoning all wrapped in foil is always a big hit. Pan of corn pudding is easy. Mac n cheese is a two step process of having to boil the noodles then put in oven/grill. I guess I just look at what I would order if I was out then think of how I could remake it on the smoker. Hope this helps

FISHJR58
05-16-2014, 09:35 PM

I can do either... I got a couple of grills I can use or just walk 20 feet to my oven or stove...

THoey1963
05-16-2014, 10:06 PM
I usually like something cold, like a pasta salad, with my BBQ. I make a spicy Ranch, bacon, avocado, and cheese pasta salad. Goes well with my BBQ which is usually a little on the spicy side.

JazzyBadger
05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Really like double stuffed zucchini, mashed cauliflower, jalapeno poppers/A.B.T.'s, smoked cabbage, I LOVE coleslaw so that's hard for me to relate to.
You can always go for some classic potato salad. I've been getting into fried jicama as well lately. Broccoli with butter and cheese is simple, but deeelicious. There's cornbread of course, and then the potential with beans are endless. You can make bean salads, a thousand variations of baked beans, refried pinto/black beans, on and on and on with beans. One of my favorite things to do was place a big ol' pot o' beans underneath whatever I was smoking, and letting the drippings enhance the beans.

As others have mentioned you can go the route of pasta as well, I love pasta but don't eat it anymore. Pasta salads and Mac N' Cheese were some definite favorites.
You can roast some zucchini right on the grill, slice them in half down the middle, hit them with some butter and rub, and it tastes freaking gooood.

Love roasting eggplant on the grill then making baba ganoush, you can dip all sorts of stuff into that. I used to make flatbread to dip it into, but these days it's just veggies. Still delicious in either event. Broccoli and cucumber slices are the favorites for dipping into the baba.

toymaster
05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
That's what I was going to ask. If you got room on your grill/smoker then you could do a pan of beans while everything is cooking they are the easiest I think. You could always do some ABTs or stuffed mushrooms on the grill to. The old camping stand by of diced potatoes, onions, and peppers with EVOO butter and seasoning all wrapped in foil is always a big hit. Pan of corn pudding is easy. Mac n cheese is a two step process of having to boil the noodles then put in oven/grill. I guess I just look at what I would order if I was out then think of how I could remake it on the smoker. Hope this helps

Dadeo got to most of them before I did. My latest sides are deviled eggs (I'm bringing them back!) and potato bombs. You can also do a veggie packet (sliced red onion, sliced red bell pepper, baby portobello mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic, chopped fresh basil, 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste wrapped in aluminum foil - good with beef). Been playing with a flatbread when I have enough time to make it in advance.

Ron_L
05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Here is a pretty good thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158034

There are more out there. There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this site.

jeffreywp1
05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
If you are smoking, smoked baked beans hands down!

BASSER
05-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Corn caserole is really good with bbq.

saseekutz
05-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Baked beans of course, my other main sides are Vermont Cheddar Mac and cheese or potato salad. All easy to make too.

jjrkegler
05-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Looks like BBQ sides are covered, though you could add a mayo-free potato salad with fresh herbs and lemon (epicurious.com) or smoked mozzarella, basil, sun-dried tomato and oil pasta salad.

For grilling steaks:
- grilled asparagus and bell peppers in olive oil (basic but tasty)
- butternut squash on the grill with butter, brown sugar and bourbon in the "well", then mix in when soft
- grilled corn on the cob (no husk); coat in oil and cover in a a chile/lime rub (I use Wild Tree), best corn I've ever had
- how about the classic wedge salad? iceberg wedge with bacon bits, bleu cheese crumbles and french dressing.
- twice baked potatoes
- brussel sprouts, quartered, saute in olive oil and fresh lemon juice until carmelized

JazzyBadger
05-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Then there's always grilled pineapple chunks, homemade onion rings, homemade french fries, just plain ol' grilled onions on the side are an awesome side for me from time to time.

Look around your produce aisle, and get inspired. There's gobs of stuff that taste great. Cheese stuffed grilled mature portobello mushrooms. You can even throw in some marinara sauce and it's like a little mushroom pizza for a side dish. I really enjoy those for snack foods.

16Adams
05-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Flatbreads (or tortillas) with three choices of toppings -olive tapenade, Parmesan spinach artichoke dip and a green chile salsa. It's basically another finger food like ribs and it is fruits and veggies.

16Adams
05-17-2014, 01:56 AM
I share your pain brotha! I usually tell my company smoked/grilled meats and beer/liquor on me and sides on you. It's never an issue for obvious reasons:-D

Should be nominated for Post Of The Week award

Rafael
05-17-2014, 04:14 AM
I like to make a grilled corn salad with smoked bacon chopped up tomato,red onion,balsamic vinegar and the wife makes a mean coleslaw.

wksisnlaw
05-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Good ol home fries are always a hit a my house with my smoked beef. Simply wash and cube some red skinned potatoes - skins on, microwave until almost tender. In a skillet saute them with some sweet onions, salt and pepper. Can even be done a day ahead and wrapped in foil. The day of put your foil packet on the grill or in the oven to reheat. " Eazy Peezy"

Smokesignalsfromtx
05-17-2014, 09:16 AM
OMG!! You gotta try this one!

Get 3-4 yellow squash, Couple of zucchini, and a package of fresh mushrooms (I prefer the sliced).

Slice up squash and zucchini 1/4" slices. Place everything on a large sheet of foil and season with garlic salt, salt, and pepper, then pour about 1/2 bottle of zesty Italian dressing on it and seal it up. Make sure it's sealed good (double wrapped) and place on the grill until done. This is an amazing side with steaks! Guaranteed hit every time!

aawa
05-17-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm single and when I invite people over for a bbq dinner, I make all the sides from scratch. Most of the time I feel one of my sides is the star of the show and not the bbq (although my friends disagree)

aawa
05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Some sides that rock and don't take a lot of time to make.

Simple tomato and cucumber salad with goat cheese salad.
Cheesy jalapeno cornbread
Roll some asparagus in olive oil and lightly coat in sugar and grill. Toss with a little bit of soy sauce
Panko and Parmesean coated roasted asparagus (put the asparagus in a flour dredge, then egg wash, then roll in a mixture of panko and parmesean and throw indirect on the grill @350+ till panko and parmesean are brown)
Smoked onions (smoke the onion till it softens up. slice the ends off and remove the outter layer, put in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and throw in the pit till they are nice and tender)
Tropical Slaw - Same premise as coleslaw with cabbage and carrots, add thinly sliced onions and finely diced mangos. Slaw dressing is a mixture of mayo, mustard, and vinegar(that is infused with tarragon)
Kale chips
Sweet potato fries
Old bay roasted potatos
Grilled sourdogh bread
Grilled texas toast
Strawberry, almond sliver, feta cheese and spinach salad with a strawberry vinegarette

All of those sides take 15-20mins to prep. The cooking can be done on the pit, a grill, or in the oven. The salads are items you can make in no time and people will be impressed because it isn't the same regular boring house style salad.

bshm
05-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Green beans, no cream of mushroom or anything but just plain buttered salted sautéed green bean beans left bright green, sometimes with garlic if I feel like it. Another of my personal favorites is deviled eggs, you can top with bacon or a tiny piece of anchovy, or those bright green Spanish olives, or whatever sounds good. I like to make at least some of them hot with some Trinidad scorpion sauce. Another is yellow squash casserole, again no cream of whatever soup but I do like to smoosh the squash and make it creamy with eggs that don't separate like if you leave the slices. Another is just a pot of greens, whatever you like turnip, collard, chard, spinach, mustard, or kale.

bshm
05-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Dadeo got to most of them before I did. My latest sides are deviled eggs (I'm bringing them back!) and potato bombs. You can also do a veggie packet (sliced red onion, sliced red bell pepper, baby portobello mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic, chopped fresh basil, 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste wrapped in aluminum foil - good with beef). Been playing with a flatbread when I have enough time to make it in advance.

Deviled eggs are seriously underrated, you can do so much with them.

JazzyBadger
05-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Deviled eggs are seriously underrated, you can do so much with them.

Add some guacamole into the egg yolks and blend together, hit the eggs with some rub. Ohhh man. One of my favorites.

bshm
05-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Add some guacamole into the egg yolks and blend together, hit the eggs with some rub. Ohhh man. One of my favorites.

The sky's the limit, a little fish sauce in the mix, pinch of wasabi, topped with a piece of good chorizo...

I loves me some deviled eggs!

columbia1
05-17-2014, 10:35 AM
We have been on a bacon wrapped asparagus kick lately. Easy to do, just coat the Asparagus with a little EVOO and sprinkle some rub on, wrap with one piece of bacon and cook(on the BBQ) until the bacon is slightly crispy.

http://elliottwavetrendsandcharts.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/catering-04-12-2014-084-300x225.jpg

qman
05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Cheese grits.
In all my bbq cooking, this has always been most peoples favorite side.

Mo-Dave
05-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Simple stuff, corn on the cob is cheap, and everyone likes that on the grill or boiled, I like to sprinkle some onion soup mix on it after brushing with melted butter then wrap in foil and roast.

Cucumber salad, cut up onions, green pepper, tomatoes and cucumbers into bite size, put in a mix of cider vinegar, tamed down with some water, sugar, salt, pepper, maybe some red pepper flakes, garlic powder, sometime I will add some Italian salad dressing. Sorry no recipe I just do it to taste, its simple but everyone loves it. Don't make it to sweet, needs to have a little kick from the vinegar.

Fried potatoes, cut potatoes in to bite size chunks, with cut up onions, celery, green pepper, and chopped up some bacon to lay on top, season with pepper, salt, or seasoning salt, with a dash of garlic power. Some call this campfire packs, so you can make individual foil pouches and lay the bacon on top before closing or put it in a larger foil pan again with the bacon on top, cover with foil, cook on grill.

Corn bread , easy pezy. Dress it up by making it a Mexicali, confetti style, or cheese.

Cauliflower cut up tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic power, or some rub, toss in foil pan cover with foil cook on grill, its done quick.
Dave

Eggtastico
05-17-2014, 12:55 PM
we also share it out.. someone BBQ's others bring everything else.. salad, bread, pasta, etc.

PappaOscar
05-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Bacon wrapped water chestnuts. Warm up some bbq sauce to dip it in. Yum.

columbia1
05-17-2014, 03:03 PM
This post has turned into a very nice informative post, enough that I booked marked it for new ideas, Kudos everyone!!

Richard_
05-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Pioneer Woman au gratin potatoes , really easy , cooked them on my weber gasser while I had a tri tip cooking on the Traeger