PDA

View Full Version : Im sure this one has been beat to death but...

tcv21
05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
For those of you that have stick burners, how many use lump or just plain charcoal to start and get a base for your fire? Im a bit OCD and stick to using wood only and use a weed burner to get it started. Im not against trying the other method but I guess you can say that I am a bit superstitious when it comes to smoking my 'q.

jlane
05-16-2014, 01:48 PM
I use a chimney of charcoal to get things going then add a few sticks. Probably takes longer then using a weed burner but that gives me time to prep the rest of the cook.

Bigr314
05-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I am new to a stick burner. The first few times I tried to use charcoal as a base. Now I do as you do. I only use splits and a weed burner. It seems to work better of me and easier. Plus a lot less ash.

oldbill
05-16-2014, 01:54 PM
I use a chimney of lump and a few splits to start the fire and then maintain it with wood from there on out.
You get a quicker fire with a weed burner and kindling but the lump charcoal gives you an instant coal bed and that is the important thing in reaching and maintaining temps.:-D

QDoc
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
My stick burner is a Lang 84. I follow Ben's directions but building a big fire in the beginning and bringing the temp up to 300 so I can wash and steam it clean. Then I develop a large coal bed, and gradually close the doors and dampers to my cooking range. I have modified my door by adding an additional vent. and after starting I use this intake vent only, pushing my coal forward and adding sticks in the back to burn backwards toward the intake vent.
ala Minion. When I add a new log I add it at right angle to the cooking chamber and use it to push the coals forward.
Rarely will I add a stick directly on top of the coals. Only if I've let my coal bed get too low.

Yendor
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I tried to use just wood on my last 2 cooks and it wasn't as much fun, there is nothing like that instant coal bed from a chimney of lump.

BBQ Bandit
05-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong using charcoal to warm things up.***

***the only exception; no matchlight/pre-soaked fuel with lighter fluid.

Drake
05-16-2014, 02:42 PM
I still pretty green to the stick burning league but I have been using a chimney of charcoal to get things lit and up to temp faster. Once I dump the coals I throw the splits right on top of them.

gtr
05-16-2014, 03:07 PM
I use a chimney of lump to get things started then stay with sticks for the rest of the cook.

oldbill
05-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I tried to use just wood on my last 2 cooks and it wasn't as much fun, there is nothing like that instant coal bed from a chimney of lump.Exactly!:thumb: Also, why not use charcoal to get the pit's temp up and establish the coal bed rather than burning a bunch of valuable cooking wood to achieve the same thing? That stuff can be scarce for some folks!:-D

sliding_billy
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
If I am doing a long cook, I use wood only (don't need the extra ash in the bottom of the box). I have a log lighter to get things started. For shorter cooks, I put down a bed of KBB (sometimes unlit and still use my log lighter to fire it up). It regulates the immediate temp and gets a longer 1st stick load burn (and less additional sticks needed).

Terry The Toad
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
I put in my sticks and a small pile of charcoal. I then use (gasp) lighter fluid to start it. :shock:

As I've said before, if Myron Mixon can use lighter fluid, then so can I. :becky:

polishdon
05-16-2014, 03:35 PM
I've always used charcoal to get a bed of coals going before I start putting any logs in.

Mahoney86
05-16-2014, 03:48 PM
i have done both and feel they both give the same end result. Coal bed is a coal bed whether it is from charcoal or burnt splits. Weed burner gets it qoing much faster and less wasted sticks but I have seen fireboxes get bent out of shape from heating up way too quickly compared to a gradual heat up from coals...

Bludawg
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Since Beuhla is a lil fat girl I use about 2 lbs of lump and a few splits to get her in the mood to roast my meat. If she was a long & lean amazon gal I'd stuff her box with hard wood and turn up the heat till she was smokin.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0015.jpg

oldbill
05-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Since Beuhla is a lil fat girl I use about 2 lbs of lump and a few splits to get her in the mood to roast my meat. If she was a long & lean amazon gal I'd stuff her box with hard wood and turn up the heat till she was smokin.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0015.jpg:icon_smile_tongue::icon_blush: Careful, we might end up in the woodpile with talk like that!:-D

T-doh
05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
I was using a chimney full of charcoal ontop of a chimney of unlit... The. Adding wood to that... Worked well, but my last cook I started it with um... Cough cough...lighter fluid...:shock: didn't notice anything different taste wise tho...