PDA

View Full Version : New House came with this, trying to get some info.

Squallie
05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Hey everybody, my father recently purchased a house. And in the backyard is this brick grill. Ive never used one let alone seen one. I was searching for some info on the net when I ran across this site. Im curious if anybody can give me some pointers, dos/donts on this brick grill. Im currently looking for a shop to cut me some new mesh grilling surface and toss out the rusted ones.

Also he wanted to incorporate some sort of manual rotisserie rack that could sit on top of the grilling surface its self. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Fwismoker
05-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I could have some fun with that i think.

cowgirl
05-15-2014, 06:18 PM
That's an interesting grill. :cool:
Those rusted grates might be usable if burned and rubbed with oil and re-seasoned.
Looking forward to your restore. Welcome to the forum!

mchar69
05-15-2014, 06:20 PM
rusted grates might be usable
cowgirl is right, those grates are perfectly useable.
Wirebrush, spray with PAM, heat 'em up, go to town.

Squallie
05-15-2014, 06:27 PM
what are some of the cooking methods/materials you all use with these brick grills. anything I should no use in fear of damaging it? I think its pretty cool and cant wait to start to use it.

captmoby
05-15-2014, 06:44 PM
I see what might be a decent smoker there. Fire on one side and meat on the other with the lid shut. I have cooked on one similar and it worked well. Grill directly over the fire. Do you have any dampers in the chiminy and a way to close down the front a bit?

mchar69
05-15-2014, 07:53 PM
How about a top Picture? Stand up there and let us see the top,
just at the base of the chimney. What is it?

Titch
05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Every backyard in Australia use to have a grill similar to that, brilliant piece of kit,
Make a steel frame up to support a spit motor, you can also cook under a kettle lid with it
Enjoy the beast

BBQ Bandit
05-15-2014, 08:10 PM
The following thread is a few years old - yet have delectable examples of a raised rotisserie...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39669

mikemci
05-15-2014, 08:14 PM
The masonry looks to be in good shape. It appears to be lined with firebrick. As others have said, nothing wrong with that grate, 5 minutes with a wire brush and some Pam won't fix. I believe the opening in the rear is an ash clean-out. I'd put a steel door on that. I'd put a steel door on the front opening, with a damper for intake control. That thing should be a great smoker/griller! Nice score!!

PM me if you need any help with it, I live near S.A. and have welding equip.

palmtreefrb
05-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Hey everybody, my father recently purchased a house. And in the backyard is this brick grill. Ive never used one let alone seen one. I was searching for some info on the net when I ran across this site. Im curious if anybody can give me some pointers, dos/donts on this brick grill. Im currently looking for a shop to cut me some new mesh grilling surface and toss out the rusted ones.

Also he wanted to incorporate some sort of manual rotisserie rack that could sit on top of the grilling surface its self. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
I would have bought the house just because of that cooker :biggrin1:
Clean it up and season it with some post oak :thumb:

Squallie
05-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Here are the pictures from the top looking down. as well as the hole on the bottom where it looks like a door use to be.

As well as a picture of the top cover. and one of the grates. I figured id find someone local to fab up new grates (2 identical to the mesh) but with two handles and also a new cover with two handles as well.

oldbill
05-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Very cool!:thumb: That's a good setup for the old method of cooking Q by having a secondary fire and shoveling coals over to the cooker as needed! You can be a real BBQ artisan with that thing!:-D

mikemci
05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I figured id find someone local to fab up new grates (2 identical to the mesh) but with two handles and also a new cover with two handles as well.[/QUOTE]
Pm me. I would be happy to help fab. Whatever you need.

BobBrisket
05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
of the homes in this area built in the 70's and 80's had those as an option. Lots of those homes still have em, but many are falling apart. My grandfather built his own back in the day.
As other have said, the grates look like they can still be used. I recommend add a door with some venting. Another thing you can do is replace that steel lid with one that will be flush with the brick surface. That will give you some additional clearance at the meat grates.
You could have a heavier duty grate built and then build a fire on that grate and use plowing disc set up on it too. Lots of possibilities.
Congrats!

Bob

DaveAlvarado
05-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Good stuff. The general way you use that:

1. Build a fire somewhere not in that.
2. Burn wood down to coals.
3. Shovel coals in the bottom, with meat on the cooking grate. Keep the lid shut.

It's extremely old-school. Your heat management comes from where the coals are located relative to the meat and how much coals you have down there. But if you can cook on that, you can cook on anything.