PDA

View Full Version : What is BBQ, ???

Titch
05-14-2014, 06:10 AM
What is BBQ, got asked this on an Aussie site,
Seeing as this is a forum with Multi country members.
What is BBQ, ???

sliding_billy
05-14-2014, 06:28 AM
:popcorn: So as not to cause too many arguments, meat... cooked... outdoors. Have at it crock pot crackpots. :-D

smoke ninja
05-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Let's all go to a bbq.
Give me a plate of that bbq
I'm gonna bbq some ribs
I made hot dogs on my bbq

Event, food, cooking method, cooking apparatus

:noidea:

5string
05-14-2014, 06:57 AM
I like to BBQ BBQ on my BBQ when I have friends over for a BBQ.
And in some places even a grill is called a BBQ.

captndan
05-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Big Bad Question

dwfisk
05-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Big Bad Question

IDK, bet there are gonna be some interesting answers like

Boil ribs, put in an oven pan, cover in sauce, foil tightly and put into the oven until fallng apart tender :shock:

AussieMatt
05-14-2014, 07:54 AM
meat... cooked... outdoors.

Have to go with Billy on this one.

But, you know what we call BBQ back home...that's grilling here.

Each to his own.

16Adams
05-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Anything cooked in one of these is BBQ. Once cooked in one of these it can be warmed and reheated in any vessel and is still BBQ. Anything cooked in a hole in the dirt is BBQ as well. BBQ may include grilled or smoked. It's a regional term, no doubt. Others will argue their term successfully. So be it. I either grill or smoke-and call it all Q.

When I lived in Louisiana Cajun BBQ shrimp from Pascal Manales was unfarknbelievable good. It's boiled-and amazing.

DaveAlvarado
05-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Food cooked with fire at 225-325F.

delarob
05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Food cooked low and slow. High heat is grilling. (High and dry is baking. Food-wise)

charrederhead
05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
BBQ is food I love to smell, cook, and eat.

Phubar
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Event, food, cooking method, cooking apparatus.

Nuff said...

Kathy's Smokin'
05-14-2014, 09:00 AM
In Canada BBQing is grilling. Anything sold to grill on is called a BBQ and anything cooked on it is BBQ'd food. If you talk to the average Canadian where I live in Ontario, they will not understand the term 'BBQ' as low 'n' slow or smoking. If you want to tell the average Canadian you cooked something outside low and slow you have to say you smoked it. Toronto, Ontario, is a large, multi-cultural metropolis but has little representation of southern US culture, food and cooking. It's been growing the last few years, though, and southern BBQ chains are popping up in smaller cities like Guelph. Kamados are now being carried and sold outside of specialty BBQ stores.

Q Junkie
05-14-2014, 09:05 AM
I'ts a noun a verb and an adjective.

Just be careful to not dangle your participle in the BBQ.

va_connoisseur
05-14-2014, 09:25 AM
BBQ is a generalized term for cooking outside over fire made from propane, wood, charcoal or some combination of the three.

BBQ has 2 sub-categories: grilling and smoking.

Grilling is high heat, short duration with the food in close proximity to the heat source.

Smoking is low heat, long duration with the food a significant distance from the heat source.

BBQ requires good friends/family, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and leisure time to fully enjoy.

Lake Dogs
05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
In Canada BBQing is grilling. Anything sold to grill on is called a BBQ and anything cooked on it is BBQ'd food. If you talk to the average Canadian where I live in Ontario, they will not understand the term 'BBQ' as low 'n' slow or smoking. If you want to tell the average Canadian you cooked something outside low and slow you have to say you smoked it. Toronto, Ontario, is a large, multi-cultural metropolis but has little representation of southern US culture, food and cooking. It's been growing the last few years, though, and southern BBQ chains are popping up in smaller cities like Guelph. Kamados are now being carried and sold outside of specialty BBQ stores.

Exactly. Most people around the US (and apparently Canada too) mis-use the term barbecue (or BBQ) to encompass most everything associated with cooking outdoors on a grill.

In reality, BBQ (the act of BBQing) is cooking meat over smoke, usually between the temps of 220 and 300 (give or take on both), and usually not directly over the heat source (although some very good smokers are set up this way). Product is BBQ, whether ribs, or pulled pork, pulled beef, brisket, mutton, etc. This cooking style was created to take particularly tough & fatty cuts of meat, render all the fat slowly, and end up with a very tender piece of meat. Cooking hotter directly over heat will not render the fat and leaves the meat tough, and chewey.

Then there's grilling. Pretty much it's everything outside that isn't BBQing. Usually the temps are much higher (sometimes 500 or more), more often directly over flames or the heat source. Doesn't have to involve smoke (plenty of gas only grills). Product more often is steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, tri-tip, chicken, vegetables, fish, sausage, etc. This cooking style is best used with better cuts of meat where there is no particular desire to render the fats and the product often is cooked medium rare (except chicken and fish of course).

Even here in the traditional BBQ deep south, many people dont know the difference.

peeps
05-14-2014, 09:37 AM
BBQ is SALMON! Period!

http://www.onlinenewsvideo.net/uploads/thumbs/7f26680e3-1.jpg

Well, at least in Georgia...

SpartaChris
05-14-2014, 09:43 AM
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/53000693/images/barbecuezany1.jpg

Lake Dogs
05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
BBQ is SALMON! Period!

http://www.onlinenewsvideo.net/uploads/thumbs/7f26680e3-1.jpg

Well, at least in Georgia...

LMAO!!! I have no idea how Myron said that with a straight face. I mean REALLY, C'MON MAN!!!!!

Funnier still, there ain't a salmon caught in Georgia probably ever. Salmon, here, come from a fish marked, shipped in from somewhere in the pacific north west...

QDoc
05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Lake Dogs explanation is spot on. Some people refer to the apparatus as a BBQ and therefore anything cooked on it is BBQ. These brethren usually have roots north of the MD line and west of Texas. I believe most cooks will understand in indoor cooking in an oven you may use the oven to bake or broil. The difference is in the temperatures you are using. You certainly wouldn't broil a cake. But there is a method for baking a filet at 275 until the internal is 125 then searing it off. Great for med rare.

Bludawg
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Depends on where your at in the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBQ

Smokesignalsfromtx
05-14-2014, 10:20 AM
http://m.dictionary.com/definition/barbecue?linkid=fp2lgd

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/BBQ

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Barbecue%20

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/barbecue_history.html

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/a/aa110197.htm

SmittyJonz
05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Lake Dogs is correct .

Many people call the event a BBQ - even when just grilling - to me that is a Cookout.

The AmazingRibs link is pretty good, SmokeSignals :thumb: even tho it says pretty much any type of cooking envolving fire is BBQ

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/barbecue_defined.html

16Adams
05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
I call this my BBQ Gun. Guess it is a low slow smok'n pistol

Bama10
05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Food cooked low and slow. High heat is grilling. (High and dry is baking. Food-wise)

I agree. IMO you don't BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs, you grill them.

frog13
05-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Have to go with Billy on this one.

But, you know what we call BBQ back home...that's grilling here.

Each to his own.This one made me laugh! My parents are in Florida and BBQ is meat cooked on a grill or pit. I lived in Ohio and they called it grilling or grilling out. Now I live in Wisconsin and they "Fry Out" or have "Frys", as in Brat Fry. No one will ask you to come over for a BBQ or cookout, they ask you over for a fryout. A lot of the places around here steam ribs, slather them in sauce and call that BBQ. That's why I am such an avid home cooker!

Q Junkie
05-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Lake Dogs is correct .

Many people call the event a BBQ - even when just grilling - to me that is a Cookout.

The AmazingRibs link is pretty good, SmokeSignals :thumb: even tho it says pretty much any type of cooking envolving fire is BBQ

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/barbecue_defined.html

Who knew J.C. was a Pit Master

Pole D
05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Pork

frog13
05-14-2014, 10:59 AM
I thought this over some more and strangely, to me at least, I only use the term BBQ for the product that comes from a low and slow cook, BBQ ribs, BBQ pork, BBQ brisket, etc. Grilled to me is just whatever it is .... steak, chicken, pork, beef, whatever, even if it has sauce. Not sure why I feel that way being from Ohio and transplanting to Wisconsin, but when I was young and traveling around the country on my motorcycle the only real BBQ (at least in my mind) existed in the south. I remember my first taste of what I called real "BBQ" in Toledo, Ohio was a parking lot vendor back in the late 80's or so called Fat Man's BBQ. When he would set up in parking lot and the ribs started coming off the pit he would sell out as fast as he could take the money. Until then all my "BBQ" experience had been in the south.

Offthehook
05-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Meat.. heat :noidea:

1buckie
05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
This is a good general description, for me:

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/barbecue

From Wedliny Domowe..........I think a lot of folks new to BBQ get "smoking" mixed up with BBQ.....which is cooking with smoke.....see aways down the page......very informative bunch at that site.......

I noticed a lot of people that do their own curing & smoking of sausages & stuff seem to have a pretty good handle on BBQ also............:grin:

toymaster
05-14-2014, 11:41 AM
U.S. Government Definition of Barbecue

Barbecued meats, such as product labeled "Beef Barbecue" or "Barbecued Pork", shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of barbecued meat shall not exceed 70 percent of the weight of the uncooked meat.

Code of federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter III, Part 319, Subpart C, 319.80, Data is current as of May 12, 2014

N8man
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Here in North Carolina (God's Country) Barbecue (pronounced bar-bee-q) traditionally is slow cooked pork, whether whole or cut parts, cooked over hardwood coals in a pit.....

AussieMatt
05-14-2014, 12:33 PM
This one made me laugh! My parents are in Florida and BBQ is meat cooked on a grill or pit. I lived in Ohio and they called it grilling or grilling out. Now I live in Wisconsin and they "Fry Out" or have "Frys", as in Brat Fry. No one will ask you to come over for a BBQ or cookout, they ask you over for a fryout. A lot of the places around here steam ribs, slather them in sauce and call that BBQ. That's why I am such an avid home cooker!

frog,

I'm originally from Australia and we call grilling BBQing. I only got into "real/low n slow/etc" BBQ after moving to the States. I'd never really though about it back "home", unlike Titch and others.

Which reminds me, I still have to get some 1/8" steel plate for my grill so I can do the onions and burgers like I used to.

Matt

bbq.tom
05-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Here in North Carolina (God's Country) Barbecue (pronounced bar-bee-q) traditionally is slow cooked pork, whether whole or cut parts, cooked over hardwood coals in a pit.....

I was wondering when someone from NC was going to jump in with the true definition of BBQ! Thanks N8man!

Actually, it depends on what area of the country (world) you are in as to what the "locals" define as BBQ:

North Carolina/South Carolina = Pork
Kentucky (at least the Owensboro area) = mutton
Texas = beef (brisket)
Memphis = Pork Ribs
Growing up in Ohio, a BBQ sandwich was what we call down here in God's country a sloppy joe! Boy did I learn differently 35 years ago!!!

But I think that Hance (Lake Dogs) spelled it out the best in his post above.

N8man
05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I think I'm beginning to favor calling everything else "Pit Cooked" as in
Pit Cooked Chicken, Pit Cooked Beef, Pit Cooked Sausage....etc....
when utilizing the smokers.....

Yendor
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
If someone here in MN tells you they are bringing bbq to your gathering they mean sloppy joes, unless they are Brethren.

jpalaska
05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
BBQ oinks

Lake Dogs
05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
I think I'm beginning to favor calling everything else "Pit Cooked" as in
Pit Cooked Chicken, Pit Cooked Beef, Pit Cooked Sausage....etc....
when utilizing the smokers.....

I like it!!! TRADITIONAL BBQ is pork. Any portion of a whole hog will do.

The rest is wanna-be BBQ; so calling it "Pit Cooked" brisket, while unbelievably offensive to Texans who fancy Tony Romo, they just dont know they're wrong. They can't help it.

:grin:

<--- married to a native Texan and still alive. Her mother, my mother-in-law, now swears by my PORK BBQ and the Brunswick Stew (thanks to Saiko). They still wont give up on Tony Homo though....

Bludawg
05-14-2014, 02:47 PM
:shock:Ya mean BBQ aint meat in a Crock pot Swimmin in Kraft Orgional BBQ Sauce:faint: I feel so violated:icon_blush:

Lake Dogs
05-14-2014, 02:47 PM
:shock:Ya mean BBQ aint meat in a Crock pot Swimmin in Kraft Orgional BBQ Sauce:faint:

Go to any neighborhood party and someone will make that *stuff*.

Bludawg
05-14-2014, 02:55 PM
I have Cousin in Fl who married a Yankee Gal from Pittsburg I was visiting once and we went fishin and it was announced lunch would be ready when we got in off the water and that we where having BBQ for lunch. I was confronted with Deli ham swimmin in Ketchup in the crock pot served up on Cheap Azz HamBurger buns. Seems that is what they call Barbeque up there. Later that day I tossed him out of the boat and yelled GATOR:twisted:

Lake Dogs
05-14-2014, 03:05 PM
<-- having a tough time stopping laughing enough to actually type...

landarc
05-14-2014, 03:08 PM
BBQ is whatever two people agree it is.

If I am one of those people, then it means meat smoked over a live fire, with the intent of using time and heat to tenderize and flavor the meat.

Others might call it something else.

Yendor
05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Could always have someone serve you BBQ meatballs-Frozen meatballs with sauce consisting of grape jelly and ketchup. No, I'm not kidding. Potluck is a word that means sick day to me.

SmittyJonz
05-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Sloppy Joes?!?! Really? As in Manwhich? Browned ground beef in sauce ????
I LOVE me some Sloppy Joes but called BBQ????? :doh: :crazy:

Fwismoker
05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Meat and fire

letdasmokeroll
05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
BBQ is in my opinion a SLAB of meat cooked over anything natural..not electricity ...gas ...(or those funky gizmos that control the heat)...that being said you say BBQ in NC you're getting pulled pork and it will be AMAZING

Rondale
05-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Anything smoked low and slow is BBQ. The rest is grilled.

BuckN BBQ
05-15-2014, 10:45 AM
What is BBQ, ???

This is BBQ?

Porcine Perfection
05-15-2014, 10:53 AM
But the REAL question is how is it spelled? Barbecue or Barbeque?

oldbill
05-15-2014, 11:52 AM
What is BBQ, ??? It's the method of cooking with live fire, wether it be over a pit in the ground or a cooker constructed from steel. It doesn't really make a difference what the meat is, by definition it's all Q in some form.:-D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue