PDA

View Full Version : All wood-minion method stickburner trial

ButtBurner
05-11-2014, 03:17 PM
As promised I did try this after Matadorbaits thread on this subject

I packed the El Dorado as full as I could with large splits. Larger than I would ever use.

Poured a mini chimney of lump on top though the hole in the bottom of the smoker chamber

Just let it rip. After about an hour of white smoke and low temps it got up to about 300 and the smoke was blue.

But a lot of smoke, which did concern me

On goes the pork

About 2 hours in I laid 2 more larger than normal splits on the tuning plate which sits above the square firebox opening to get them good and hot

Went about 4 hours and temps started to droop.

still quite a bit of wood in it so I stirred it around a bit and it went back up.

after another hour or so, it started to droop again, so I put one of the hot as heck splits in it

Went for another 2 hours or so, then I put the last one in to finish it up.

The temp did spike one time to almost 400, I opened the smoke chamber door a few times to cool it, and also the side door that this pit has.

then it settled back down and ran almost rock solid at 300 the rest of the cook

I would not recommend this on other pits, I just wanted to try it on this one and I was very suprised how well it did work, and the food was not overly smoky like I was expecting it to be.

A few pics, including an old one showing the firebox hole I poured the lump into.

TXM489
05-11-2014, 03:59 PM
might have to give that a try

Pitmaster T
05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I did something about as silly...like you... for science....

STOKER TEST V (part a): A WHOLE MESS OF WOOD - YouTube

Part One

STOKER TEST V (part b): A WHOLE MESS OF WOOD AND A STOKER - YouTube
Part Two

Pitmaster T
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
LOL.... took me 2:20 to get useable smoke....

this looks like before I FULLY committed to the Hot and Fast temp of 275. Mostly......................................... cuz I got tired of ****ing with my gaskets and using the stoker... LOL Joke.

ButtBurner
05-12-2014, 07:00 AM
LOL

you can joke about it, but i was really suprised how well it works.

With this pit, it usually requires a really small hot fire with the location of the firebox directly below the cook chamber.

But having such a small fire means I have to pay more attention to it since it doesnt burn very long before needing more wood.

With this method, it seems to work well with this cooker.

Also I re read my post and it actually went about 3 more hours before adding wood, not the 2 hours I stated