PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Joe's Highland v. Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn

vinoaddict
05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I currently use a WSM. Works nice, but thinking to purchase an offset smoker (on $500 budget). Curious if anyone knows the difference between the Oklahoma Joe's Highland and Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn smokers? Both are made by Charbroil. The Highland model is about $200 cheaper than the Longhorn. Otherwise they look the same to me.

Any reason for the price difference?
How do they smoke?
Any better alternatives?

Thanks

bimmerdad
05-07-2014, 11:56 PM
The Longhorn is a bigger smoker than the Highland (the reason for the price difference). I bought my Longhorn a little over a month ago then 2 weeks later the same store had the Highland. I think if they had both been available at the same time I would have gotten the Highland because it's not as big as the Longhorn. This was my first offset purchase and I think having the smaller smoker would make it easier to maintain heat but I could be wrong though since I'm a newbie.

Mine works fairly well but mine has leaks around the smoke box, cooking chamber and exhaust. I knew this ahead of time so I'm working on addressing these issues. I can also tell you that out of the box, all my heat goes to the top of the cooking chamber, there is a 90 degree temp deference from the top thermo reading and grate level on mine. I have ordered the Horizon Convection plate to hopefully address this as well.

Good Luck

vinoaddict
05-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks!

SmittyJonz
05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Are there Academy Sports in Fl?
If so the OvernUnder or Old Country Wrangler. Both $499

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182649

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173974

Their QC sucks so you gotta see them in person and pick the best one. Wrangler needs tuning plates and it's pretty good

thunter
05-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I will be picking up a Longhorn next week. I have done some fairly extensive homework on it, and am confident this is going to meet my needs for now. If you have a choice between the Highland and the Longhorn, I would go with the bigger one. It's better to have space you don't need, than to need space you don't have! :-D

chunkylatinlover
05-08-2014, 10:59 AM
The highland is just a little smaller. Save yourself the extra cash the 180 more square inches just doesn't justify the $200 difference. Use the extra cash to make the necessary mod's and you'll have a good smoker.

vinoaddict
05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the input!