PDA

View Full Version : First Weber Smoking Experience

Hdhead
05-04-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm new here. Looks like a great forum. So, I smoked some ribs yesterday on the Weber using the indirect, pan with water under the ribs method. Monitored the temperature closely and was able to control between 220-240. Thought it would be done in 4 hours, but checked meat temp with thermapen and was only 135. Since it was close to dinner time opened the air flow and finished them off with a hot temperature. When removed from Weber the meat temp was 165. So they were delicious and moist, but not fall off the bone tender probably because I didn't get the temp to the 180 range.

Anyway, what is the best method, temperatures, etc. to get the ribs done in a 4 hour timeframe? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron_L
05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Lots of questions...

What type of ribs (I assume pork). Baby back? Full slab spares? St. Louis trimmed spares?

How big were the racks?

That all matters.

I try to get baby backs that are around 2.5 lbs per rack and cook them at 260-ish. They are usually done in 4 1/2 hours if I don't foil and about 4 hours if I do foil. St. Louis trimmed spares in the same size range usually take about 1/2 hour longer.

Forget about the meat temperature. There isn't enough meat on ribs to get a reliable reading. It your probe is off by 1/8" the temp could change by quite a bit. Most folks here use the bend test to see if the ribs are done. Pick up the rack from one end and it should bend easily and the bark will start to crack. You can also use a toothpick between the bones and when it goes in with no resistance then they are done.

Hdhead
05-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Lots of questions...

What type of ribs (I assume pork). Baby back? Full slab spares? St. Louis trimmed spares?

How big were the racks?

That all matters.

I try to get baby backs that are around 2.5 lbs per rack and cook them at 260-ish. They are usually done in 4 1/2 hours if I don't foil and about 4 hours if I do foil. St. Louis trimmed spares in the same size range usually take about 1/2 hour longer.

Forget about the meat temperature. There isn't enough meat on ribs to get a reliable reading. It your probe is off by 1/8" the temp could change by quite a bit. Most folks here use the bend test to see if the ribs are done. Pick up the rack from one end and it should bend easily and the bark will start to crack. You can also use a toothpick between the bones and when it goes in with no resistance then they are done.

Thanks for the reply, they were pork and was about 4 pounds, St Louis trim. I'm thinking should step the temp up to 260 like you do.

Bludawg
05-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I do my Bonz at 275-300 on the grate indirect no water pan St' Louis Trim 3.5-4 hrs until they pass the bend test I have never temped a rib in my life. Back Bonz take 3-3.5 hrs Full spares 4-4.5 hrs
The bend test.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/bendtest.jpg

dadsr4
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
At those temps, they were not done. If you were taking the grill temp anywhere but at grill level, your cooking temps were lower. 250 degrees at grill level for SL spares takes at least 5 hours for bite through.