PDA

View Full Version : UDS advantages?

Grimulf
05-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Whats the advantages of a UDS compared to a wsm? I'm getting a drum for a UDS for free, so i want to know if it's worth building one...

Ron_L
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
If you have the tools and skills, why not? A 22.5" WSM and a UDS are about the same cook space and can be used in the same ways, but a UDS can be cheaper (especially if you don't have to buy tools) and can be customized to meet your own needs.

Fwismoker
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
1) Cost and satisfaction you built it

2) customize it to how you want it to look like and cook like. I went with a kit because it looks sharp, cooks hot.

3) Cook directly over the coals gives your food added flavor... No water pan!

4) No door on a standard UDS and no need for one. It's more air tight.

Look up Big Poppa Drum kit because they're set up to easily grill and sear also because the basket has two levels it can sit at. Can't go wrong with it and if you want to customize your own drum you can ala cart the parts.

ebijack
05-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Just take a look at the UDS thread, but short version, cheaper to build, easier to control temps, a bit more roomif the racks are placed right. For me easier to clean just to name a few. But ALOT of folks love their WSM's.

flyingbassman5
05-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Advantage number 1..... Fully customized to your needs! :grin:

But really, you can build it how ever you want to. Specific advantage over a WSM: cheaper, more space if you use a weber lid and do three racks, longer burn/cook time if you build a big enough charcoal basket, custom paint aside from Weber's gloss black...just to name a few.

Some consider the "no water pan" feature an advantage too if you chose to go that route.

bwsawman
05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes, it is worth building one...at least it was for me.

First advantage is the much lower cost...leaving $$ for meat, sauce, rubs, tools, etc.

Second advantage is YOU get to build it! I really enjoyed making it how I wanted it. I read the whole UDS thread to get all the ideas and tips.

I'm sure others will chime in with other advantages but this is more than enough reason to build one.

So, I guess you have to decide if you like building things (and have a few hours) or if the extra money spent is worth it to be able to cook right after taking it out of the box.

Enjoy!

P.S. Ugly Drums Look Cool!

ShencoSmoke
05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Here is a short story that explains why. I built a uds this winter, since then I have bought 6 drums for friends who saw and tasted food from mine. Bottom line is they make great food.

deguerre
05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
3) Cook directly over the coals gives your food added flavor... No water pan!

Remove water pan. Problem solved. It's what I do. :becky: But, I still think it's probably easier to maintain temps in a UDS from what I've read.

sbramm
05-01-2014, 07:44 PM
had both and both are great.

but.....

once I built my first UDS I sold my WSM. I like the efficiency and ability to modify that the UDS has.

want a water smoker? check
want over coals? check
want a cold smoker? check
want hot and fast? check

plus, you have a free drum. you're 80% done right there!

Bludawg
05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
It's all abuot the money fer me of course When I built my drum hter was no such thing as a 22.5 WSM but that is irrelevant. I can build a working drum that is a BBQ machine for less than 100.00 and that is using a NEW drum so that leaves 200 and change for beer & meat. That is what I cal a NO Brainer!

Teleking
05-01-2014, 08:33 PM
If your patient and have the resources I built one for zero . Zero $$$ with a domed lid all from the transfer station. Only took a year to get parts.

Beentown
05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
UDS's are so efficient and cook great food. The also have a second kind of cool....you built it yourself and most others will never expect the, to cook such great food.

J-Rod
05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Because uds' are awesome. That's it. There nothin like watching people chow your grub while talking about how "they can't believe it came out of an oil drum".

ShencoSmoke
05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
If your patient and have the resources I built one for zero . Zero $$$ with a domed lid all from the transfer station. Only took a year to get parts.

Didn't Johnny cash sing a song about that?

AaronPo
05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
I'll add that temp control can't get much easier, follow the minion method and set it and forget it!!

Click for minion method (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1682070&postcount=1)

42BBQ
05-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Simpler to cook with, no need to reload coals, more efficient.

JamieK
05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I love my UDS, never cooked on a WSM, really enjoyed building and customizing my UDS, and has the ability to cook a alot of food over a long time, and produces great food.

Eggtastico
05-02-2014, 02:11 AM
its the satisfaction of something you built to cook in. A bit of a conversation piece for people who have never seen one before as well & no 2 UDS are the same.

+ you get to play with power tools
Drills, Jigsaws, Sabre Saw, Welding machine... dont have them? gives you an excuse to buy them :D

kds9547
05-02-2014, 02:25 AM
U can make a UDS as U as u want to if you're into U. Nothing u can do to make the WSM U. That's the only advantage of a UDS.

KC Transplant
05-04-2014, 01:34 AM
What's better than a smoker you built yourself that is totally customizable? I built one last year because everyone raved about them. Also because it was reasonably priced and I could paint it how I wanted it. Also I loved the kinda redneck vibe of making a smoker from a barrel. I ended up with a rock solid smoker that out cooks a lot of high dollar set ups. Everybody loves the food and is stunned when they see what I smoked it in. Plus I ended up making a few more and selling them to people at work after they tried my food.

dodis
05-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Didn't Johnny cash sing a song about that?

Yep! Just build your UDS like a Caddilac! :laugh:

Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time (1976) - YouTube