PDA

View Full Version : First Cook on my Weber Kettle.... Yum!!

gwknowles
05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Well, I seasoned the grill about 3 weeks ago and today finally had time to fit in a quick cook! Picked up some nice thick striploin at an amazing price and the rest is delicious history.

Marinated overnight and added some of my homemade "secret" recipe dry rub. (Yes I know you don't normally dry rub a steak but I am a newbie charcoal griller/smoker and I REALLY wanted to try out my dry rub)

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2778_zps9785a868.jpg

Was pretty happy to be grilling on a "Real" bbq instead my old gas grill...

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2779_zps652f04d9.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2788_zps96f6adfd.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2785_zps5c6e51e6.jpg

They smelt and looked so good, plus my wife was super hungry, so I forgot to take a picture of them before we ate... sorry... they were a little over done but still freak'n good!

After we finished our meal I went out to check on the grill and it was still nice and hot... then I had an idea that I had to try! I picked up some fresh pepperoni a couple days ago, so I cut it down and got out my homemade "secret" recipe bbq sauce and dry rub, got the pepperoni nice and sauced up, added a hand full of my dry rub for some extra spice and threw it on the weber.... the results?.... pure heaven!

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2792_zpsa4b709d8.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag211/graham_knowles1/IMG_2793_zps97b6b687.jpg

All I can say is life is going to be tasty for my family and friends this summer!

Smokinitup
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Awesome cook on the kettle. They are hard to beat for their versatility and the great food that you can put out with them.Thanks for sharing and happy smoking this summer!!

deguerre
05-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Ya done good, as we say in Alabama. :thumb::thumb:

sliding_billy
05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Nice looking cook. Welcome to kettle cooking.

Ron_L
05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
You look happy!

Nice job!

MisterChrister
Way to rock the kettle, now I'm hungry!

gwknowles
Ya done good, as we say in Alabama. :thumb::thumb:

My wife says she agrees with you... no sleeping on to coach for me tonight with this cook!

Jason TQ
05-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Very cool!

gwknowles
05-01-2014, 06:20 PM
You look happy!

Nice job!

Yeah I was pretty happy, for two reasons: 1. First time cooking on a real grill and 2. First grill of the season!

aks801
05-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Great job on the steaks and on your pepperoni concoction!

Congrats on getting the new Kettle, you will never be without one by choice from here on out.

J-Rod
05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
First, welcome to the forum dude. Congrats on the kettle acquisition, they're versatile Q machines. You'll love that thing man, as I always say if I could only own one cooker it'd be a kettle!

gwknowles
05-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Great job on the steaks and on your pepperoni concoction!

Congrats on getting the new Kettle, you will never be without one by choice from here on out.

Thanks... next up ribs or pork butt... I can't quite decided!

Big M1ke
05-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Kettles rule!

Fwismoker
05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Great looking kettle cook!

Just so you know you wouldn't be allowed to have a kettle on a apartment balcony here (at least where i live) so feel lucky!

aquablue22
05-01-2014, 08:59 PM
You take care of that Kettle and it will be a lifelong friend to you stomach! Nice looking steaks. Good Luck learning you Weber!

AaronPo
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM

Just so you know you wouldn't be allowed to have a kettle on a apartment balcony here (at least where i live) so feel lucky!

Same rules apply here as well, Thank god I don't live in an apartment!

You did great on your cook brotha!! You can't ever go wrong with a weber kettle, especially a OTG!!

lemur
05-02-2014, 04:00 AM

Oddly enough propane bbqs not allowed on decks here but wood\charcoal are OK.....something about propane being heavier and concerns a leaky tank would cause ploblems for downstairs peeps..

When I moved here 8 years ago, I cooked with wood exclusively and first summer or 2 every cook would result in a fire dept trunk do a slow patrol around the neighborhood. My hood has LOTS of older, wood construction multi unit buildings...some abandoned.....I thing people would smell smoke and make a call....heheh

Since finding this site Ive switched to lump and chunks of wood (free apple mostly) and have not seen a patrol in few years now.

rob

Titch
05-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Nice cook there mate:thumb: Webers are a pretty fine utensil.

SmittyJonz
05-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Well, I seasoned the grill about 3 weeks ago and today finally had time to fit in a quick cook! Picked up some nice thick striploin at an amazing price and the rest is delicious history.

Marinated overnight and added some of my homemade "secret" recipe dry rub. (Yes I know you don't normally dry rub a steak but I am a newbie charcoal griller/smoker and I REALLY wanted to try out my dry rub

Plenty of Dry Rubs for Steaks.........

MikeR
05-02-2014, 05:21 AM
All sounds good to me!:thumb: I love my kettle.

Papa Q
05-02-2014, 08:21 AM
If I'm cooking for just my immediate family...it is going to be on my Weber OTG 22.5 and you can do some amazing things with it.

Papa Q
05-02-2014, 08:24 AM
If I am cooking for just my immediate family, it will be on my Weber OTG 22.5". You can do some amazing things with it. I beet you learn to love that thing.

ModelMaker
05-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Great looking steaks and lots of good fun ahead.
Hate to be a buzzkill but you really need to get some type of non- combustable mat or surface under that grill. There are a number of horror stories about hot coals falling beneath grills and starting decks or cloth based mats on fire.
Good luck
Ed

smokainmuskoka
05-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Another hapless victim joins the fold - welcome! Your food looks great.

I'd like to know how many product design awards the Weber kettle has won over it's long history. Oh, I have internet - I'll check!

bassmaster16
05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Great cook you will love your kettle

SuburbSlicker
05-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Hate to be a buzzkill but you really need to get some type of non- combustable mat or surface under that grill. There are a number of horror stories about hot coals falling beneath grills and starting decks or cloth based mats on fire.
Good luck
Ed

As a volunteer firefighter, I'm all too aware of the risks of what you're doing -- even if your meat looks dee-lish. (Never run a bbq fire before, but done 4 turkey fryer vs. wood deck fires). They're illegal here in Virginia (bbqs of any kind and wood balconies). If they're not illegal there, do us all a favor and let us stop worrying about you and buy a $30 ABC Dry-Chem Fire Extinguisher from your local home center. And keep watching your fire -- don't be tempted to go inside and watch the game while you're cooking.

Enrico Brandizzi
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Your steaks look great from here!

Big George's BBQ
05-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Nice cooks I like the pepporoni idea

Yendor
05-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow, looks fantastic!!!! Frig that pepperoni looks good.

I need to see you fire up a Newfoundland steak on that bad boy though.

Bluebird
05-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Looks great!

Whitewookie
05-02-2014, 02:50 PM
The steaks look good and I'm gonna try that pepperoni deal.
However, something is amiss with the Weber... Hmmm... Got it. THAT THING IS TOO DAMNED CLEAN. GET IT DIRTY MAN!!!

See, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you are a relatively intelligent individual based on your choice of grills. Accordingly, I'm going to likewise assume that there is a good fire bottle just off camera and the mat is fire proof. And of course you would never leave a fire un-attended...

VR,
Harold

Fake Farmer
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Food looks great, and pepperoni is very interesting!

I'm surprised like a few others that you're able to grill at an apt complex/on wooden deck. Hope you've taken the precautions so SuburbSlicker doesn't have to come out to your place (for anything other than a good meal).

gwknowles
05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Good luck
Ed

Yes, I already have one underneath it...

gwknowles
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
The steaks look good and I'm gonna try that pepperoni deal.
However, something is amiss with the Weber... Hmmm... Got it. THAT THING IS TOO DAMNED CLEAN. GET IT DIRTY MAN!!!

See, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you are a relatively intelligent individual based on your choice of grills. Accordingly, I'm going to likewise assume that there is a good fire bottle just off camera and the mat is fire proof. And of course you would never leave a fire un-attended...

VR,
Harold

That mat is fire proof... however I need to pick up a fire extinguisher, never even thought of it until you folks suggested it. And if I leave the grill it is only for a minute to run inside and grab something.

Whitewookie
05-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Fire extinguishers are fairly cheap these days. I have one in the garage, just outside the door within easy reach. This covers the kitchen/front end od the house/garage. I also have one at the far end of the house just inside a closet door. Also one in the jeep.

I don't usually take one out back with me when grilling, but the one in the garage makes me feel good when weather forces me to grill under cover.

Basically no matter what room I'm in I can have a fire bottle or a gun in my hand quickly, so I'm covered.

VR,
Harold

cameraman
05-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Gotta love a pharker who starts experimenting from the git go. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

cowgirl
05-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Great looking steak! Your pepperoni sounds mighty tasty too!

midwest_kc
05-03-2014, 02:14 PM
That pepperoni does sound really good.

Also, don't think something is "wrong" with rubbing a steak. I do it all the time. If you can get a hold of it out there, try the Dizzy Pig canadian style steak rub. I believe it's called "Raising the Steaks" - it's great!

MJ_Tenn
05-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Love my Weber too...early Spring thru Christmas, I'm usually firing it up several times a week

Tonybel
05-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Congrats!!! I bet those steaks were delicious.