PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

birgey
04-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Brethren,
My dad has been fighting cancer for several years now. About a month or 2 ago, he asked me to make him some ribs (he had gone a week or so eating very little, so I told him anything he wanted, I'd cook it). I got some baby backs, loaded 'em up with my rub, and threw em on the grill. Used charcoal and some small hickory chunks, and ran around 300 degrees.After about 3 hours, took them off, wrapped and put some apple juice and butter and just a very light dusting of more rub on them and threw them back in the smoker. Couple hours later, unwrapped and poured the melted butter/apple juice concoction on them. Kept on the grill for another hour or 2, and then put some of my sauce on them,and cooked another 20 minutes. Took em off, and they were great.
So, here's where I need help...

This past Friday, the Dr read his most recent scans and everything, and gave him 2 months :cry: . Yesterday, as we were over at my parents house, he asked me to make him some ribs again. So, this coming Saturday, I'm doing more baby backs for him. I'm telling all my family to come, as it may be the last time we're all together before he passes.
But this time, I don't want these ribs to be great. I want them to be farkin' AWESOME. Just made up a new batch of the rub I use, and still have some of my sauce left. Just picked up some cherry wood yesterday (the last time I did ribs for him, I used charcoal and a few small chunks of hickory).

What tips/tricks does the Brethren have to help me ensure that these will be the best looking and tasting ribs?

I'm also gonna do a couple of butts and maybe a couple of chickens as well...depending on how many friends/family members are gonna come.

Thanks.

Blythewood BBQ'er
04-27-2014, 12:26 PM
First off sorry for your bad news, it sounds like you already got a good method. I would stick to what you have been doin and just concentrate on enjoying the event. What do you think they were lacking? I use apple butter also when I wrap.

Blanton
04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear the circumstances around the upcoming cook. I'm sure you want it to be perfect. But there really aren't any magic tricks. The fact that you said the last ribs were great tells me they "were perfect".

We become our own work critic. I would go with what you already know and make the same great ribs

birgey
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks Blythewood BBQ'er. I'm not sure. They just weren't...perfect. Maybe a little more smoke? They were pretty tender, but I guess they could have been a little bit more.

I use apple butter in my homemade sauce. The thought of putting apple butter right onto the meat never really crossed my mind. May have to try that.

When I do start Saturday, I'll take pics and post them.

Again, thanks for your time and thoughts fellow Brethren.

Jason TQ
04-27-2014, 12:33 PM
First off sorry for your bad news, it sounds like you already got a good method. I would stick to what you have been doin and just concentrate on enjoying the event. What do you think they were lacking? I use apple butter also when I wrap.

I agree here. Keep rockin your current method as it seems to be great. Maybe do a little extra rub a the end for extra pop, but don't chage any technique.

Bigr314
04-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news.I am sure everyone will enjoy what ever you cook. Just enjoy the day. Take care.

Bludawg
04-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry for the bad news I'll keep your family in my T&P. For the Ribs if it aint broke don't fix it. I would like to know your secret of cooking BB for 3 hrs then foiling them for a few hrs then unwrapping and cooking for a few more hrs and not have bones & mush. I cook mine a 300 for 3 hrs neked and they are about perfect.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/bendtest.jpg

LMAJ
04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm with the rest of the folks - stick with what you know works - this cook isn't the one you want to be experimenting with.

Take care.

birgey
04-27-2014, 02:05 PM
I have an OKJoe Longhorn(offset stick burner). I've done some mods to it, and the temps are even throughout the entire smoking chamber. I threw the ribs on around 275-300. Smoke 3 hours, wrap 2 hours, then another hour/hour and a half unwrapped. Course, the last couple of hours my temp and dropped to about 225. Almost fell apart taking them off. Had a nice bark, and bite as well. Could eat thru them like buttah.

I guess as long as he liked the previous ones, I'll do the same this time. Maybe the cherry wood will give it a little bit better color and taste.
Again, thanks everyone.

Bludawg
04-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Ribs & cherry are the Jack & Coke of BBQ

Enrico Brandizzi
04-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry for the bad news. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

TuscaloosaQ
04-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Prayers are going out for you and your family...... What is going to make these ribs outstanding is this..... You.... your willingness to do this, the fact that you want all your family together, the blessing you have in this tough time to be with your father and your family..... Brother you have already nailed those ribs.... they will have blessings all over themmmm!!!!!!! You are a fine man.... I can tell!!!!!!!!!

grill 'em all
04-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Ribs & cherry are the Jack & Coke of BBQ

...and Sweet Seduction is the ice!

Sorry to hear about your situation.Go with what you know & they'll be great.
The 3-2-1 method is my way to roll..If I want wet ribs I'll sauce em 15 mins before pulling..A tight foil wrap & 1 hr rest wrapped in towels setting in a cooler also aids in tenderness..

I'll keep you & your family in my prayers.

God Bless

The Smoking Pig
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I have no tips for ribs, but just put your love in them while cooking and I am sure they will be fantastic.

HarrynVegas
04-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. Just stick with what you know, it sounds like it worked fine. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay string. The Brethren are with you.

birgey
04-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Prayers are going out for you and your family...... What is going to make these ribs outstanding is this..... You.... your willingness to do this, the fact that you want all your family together, the blessing you have in this tough time to be with your father and your family..... Brother you have already nailed those ribs.... they will have blessings all over themmmm!!!!!!! You are a fine man.... I can tell!!!!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ...thank you. Thank you so much.

RevZiLLa
04-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Sorry about the news. Glad your Dad has time to prepare and to enjoy some important things.

As for the best ribs ever, I think your Dad has already proclaimed yours the best ever. The only way to make them better is to smile with him. God bless