PDA

View Full Version : gravity fed smokers

Pappy Q
04-26-2014, 02:18 AM
With these type of smokers, is it common to poke a rod or something down the charcoal chute every couple of hours to prevent the charcoal from jamming up?

Timmy Mac
04-26-2014, 04:57 AM
I have 2 stumps smoker. I never had to with briqs.

Don Marco
04-26-2014, 04:59 AM
If that smoker is well built then usually the chute gets a little wider the deeper it gets to prevent the charcoal from jamming up.

DM

eddieh70301
04-26-2014, 06:05 AM
I have a Stumps and the only time I had an issue is when I use only lump. I now mix with Stubbs and use the smaller lump pieces and have not had an issue.
When I first received the smoker I did have a bridging issue but it was my fault.
I do know some of the gravity fed smokers do have a chute that gets wider at the bottom but not sure if Stumps has started that or not.

Pappy Q
04-26-2014, 06:26 AM
I have a Stumps and the only time I had an issue is when I use only lump. I now mix with Stubbs and use the smaller lump pieces and have not had an issue.
When I first received the smoker I did have a bridging issue but it was my fault.
I do know some of the gravity fed smokers do have a chute that gets wider at the bottom but not sure if Stumps has started that or not.

Do mind saying what you were doing in the beginning to cause the bridging?

Big Mike
04-26-2014, 07:44 AM
I started off with a Stumps GF 223 (now the classic) and now I have a Stumps Platinum 5 (horizontal reverse flow). I used to use lump and I would run a rod down the chute every so often just to ensure I wasn't bridging. If you use lump, sometimes the larger pieces will stick in the chute and cause a bridge. A lot of folks who use lump will break it up into fairly even sized pieces. I didn't, I just used the rod.

A few years ago, I switched to using hardwood briquettes and haven't had an issue. There small and even size eliminate the bridges. I still run the rod every now and then but it is more to check how much charcoal is in the chute than anything.

bearohs
04-26-2014, 08:20 AM
never had mine need that, running lump on the SS-2.. In the 4 months I have had it its cooked on average twice a week.