PDA

View Full Version : Tragic injury to the OTG...

IlliniQ
04-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Tonight, a very sad thing happened to my shiny red Weber. The lid slipped off the side as I apparently misjudged the tiny hook inside. It landed with a nasty sound on my driveway and a chunk of the enamel chipped off. Aside from being bummed about the blemish, I'm worried about rust with a break in the enamel. Anyone have a similar experience or any thoughts on repairs (or if that's even necessary)?

The chunk of missing enamel is about as big around as the tip of my pinky finger...

Fwismoker
04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Ouch! I'd say at minimum use some touch up model type of paint ...something that matches and will prevent rust.

THoey1963
04-24-2014, 06:46 PM
There was a thread here in the last week or two of someone doing a patch repair to their Weber lid. You might try the search to see if you can locate it.

THoey1963
04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry, it wasn't here, it was on the Virtual Weber Bullitan Board:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50653-WSM-Porcelain-Repair

HookedOnQ
04-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Is it down to bare metal? I read somewhere that the colored kettles were coated with a black porcelain coating than a thinner colored porcelain coating over that. Not sure how true it is but I have a blue kettle with a few chips and it appears to still have a coating on it even with the chips

martyleach
04-24-2014, 11:11 PM
That's a real bummer. Whatever you put on will have to be high temp paint. See if you can get a matching enamel at your auto parts store. Either exhaust paint or the even higher temp caliper paint. It need to be cured so follow the instructions.

IlliniQ
04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I took another look at it this morning in the light, and I think it may not have penetrated the black enamel underneath, so it may not be as big of a problem as I thought - other than the fact that it bums me out that an almost brand new grill had a ding in it.

I did also shoot an email to weber customer service for their thoughts. For now I'm leaving it alone, but if I end up doing anything to fix it, I'll post an update with results.

Drunk Monkey
04-25-2014, 10:07 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo_262d5f_11 89382.jpg

IlliniQ
04-28-2014, 11:53 AM
As promised, update on the problem. Reached out to Weber and told them about my bonehead move. They responded with in 48 hours offering a one-time courtesy replacement of my lid. The replacement is just the lid, so they told me I'll have to use the handle and thermometer from the chipped lid, but I will have a new dome fed-exed to me in a few days.

I'd heard on this forum how amazing Weber customer service was, but I really didn't expect this at all. I figured they might have some tips on a product to seal the lid or something like that. Can't even explain the relief that they're replacing my lid.

Just thought I'd share this with you all to reinforce the Weber love! :love:

Fwismoker
04-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Keep the chipped one and repair it so you can have a good lid for a UDS!

IlliniQ
04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Keep the chipped one and repair it so you can have a good lid for a UDS!

Already dreaming of pairing it with a black drum for a Blackhawks UDS... :thumb: