PDA

View Full Version : Even more UDS questions = Fun times!

Qbert60
04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Good morning all!

Questions as follows:

1. I have a BBQ Guru DigiQDX2 with a 10 CFM fan. I recently built a new UDS and utilized the curu to keep a temp of 325* cooking a brisket. It did a great job at that. I know there is a fan splitter the Guru sells to be able to hook up 2 fans, but has anyone used the 2nd fan for another pit? i.e. another UDS? Not sure if the DIGIQ can do 2 read outs.

2. I plan on cooking on the drop down gate on my new enclosed trailer. The gate is made from wood and the wood is exposed. If I put the little 2" metal casters on the bottom of the UDS, will that help in preventing any burning/scorching of the deck?

3. Can anyone speak on the reliability of the BPS temp gauge? Certainly looks cool, but we all functionality as well. I am concerned the probe isn't long enough. If not the BPS temp gauge, can anyone recommend a reliable one?

4. Can anyone explain if there is a difference in airflow if the intakes are extended upwards. I am a husky fella, so bending down can be rather tedious.

5. Diffuser. My basket sits about 13" off the bottom of my drum. I used to use a pizza pan that I wired to the bottom of the cooking grate that hung about 5 inches below it. It seemed to do the job well. Would it make sense to take a normal cooking grate and place it just above the basket with a terracotta plate, so even with a flat lid, I can have more then 1 cooking grate available? thus having even cooking temps? Make sense?

Now, before anyone goes into the "UDS's are set it and forget pits" I know, just trying to get more versatility out of them. Thanks!

Fwismoker
04-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Good morning all!

Questions as follows:

1. I have a BBQ Guru DigiQDX2 with a 10 CFM fan. I recently built a new UDS and utilized the curu to keep a temp of 325* cooking a brisket. It did a great job at that. I know there is a fan splitter the Guru sells to be able to hook up 2 fans, but has anyone used the 2nd fan for another pit? i.e. another UDS? Not sure if the DIGIQ can do 2 read outs.

2. I plan on cooking on the drop down gate on my new enclosed trailer. The gate is made from wood and the wood is exposed. If I put the little 2" metal casters on the bottom of the UDS, will that help in preventing any burning/scorching of the deck?[/CMine doesn't get that hot on the bottom but it isn't a bad idea.OLOR]

3. Can anyone speak on the reliability of the BPS temp gauge? Certainly looks cool, but we all functionality as well. I am concerned the probe isn't long enough. If not the BPS temp gauge, can anyone recommend a reliable one?[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The BPS gauge is very accurate. I like River Country also.

4. Can anyone explain if there is a difference in airflow if the intakes are extended upwards. I am a husky fella, so bending down can be rather tedious. They look nice but i wouldn't use them unless you make them bigger than 3/4 and you still need nipples on the bottom.Riser intakes cut down your airflow.

5. Diffuser. My basket sits about 13" off the bottom of my drum. I used to use a pizza pan that I wired to the bottom of the cooking grate that hung about 5 inches below it. It seemed to do the job well. Would it make sense to take a normal cooking grate and place it just above the basket with a terracotta plate, so even with a flat lid, I can have more then 1 cooking grate available? thus having even cooking temps? Make sense? IMO you take away the purpose of the UDS blocking all the drippings. Try a holy pizza pan with 1/2 - 3/4 inch holes drilled in it to even out temps.

Now, before anyone goes into the "UDS's are set it and forget pits" I know, just trying to get more versatility out of them. Thanks!very much set it and forget it imo

Qbert60
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
very much set it and forget it imo

Since you have a BPS cooker, can you shed some light on #3?

TexasRT
04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
The DigiQDX2 is capable of alternating displays between pit and food temps. It is not able to control two separate pit temps at the same time. You would use the splitter for the DigiQDX2 if your F/B was large enough that you would need two fans on one pit.

Bludawg
04-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I have been cooking on a UDS for 7 yrs once I dial it in to a temp (15 min) it will sit there until it runs out of fuel I run do diffuser no electrical gizmos. I cook 300 -325 most of the time or hotter. My basket is small compared to most 17X8 well packed lump will give me 16-18 hrs or 30 if I cook L&S