PDA

View Full Version : Lenexa (KS) BBQ Battle

Jeff_in_KC
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
OK I was less than impressed with this contest. We had a blast visiting friends last night (SP, I never located you guys) but man oh man was it ever crowded! And most of the sites were on hillsides leading down to a small lake... level cook sites were pretty much non-existent. They crammed teams in right on top of each other and the crowds of people made me feel like I was being choked to death. I will never cook that contest but it was kinda fun to visit. I am definitely feeling it this morning. :roll: Two margarita jello shots, two frozen margaritas, 6-8 beers and a hurricane! Gawd make it stop hurting! LATE EDIT: Forgot the two shots of Jack...

Hey Scott, I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment that it's status has gotten to where it should be by invitation only. They had 188 teams I think it was. Several of us made the comment that we couldn't find many teams we'd ever heard of before. 90% of the teams were backyard local teams. I think if they DID try to make it an invitational, they'd suffer in the pocketbook. It was definitely a cluster-fark and getting in and out of there with those narrow pathways would be a beeyotch!

bigabyte
06-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, that's what makes that contest unique though. The fact that it's a smaller venue turns it into kind of a giant backyard event because the bigger teams with the big rigs can't fit in there. So it's a different playing field somewhat than other big events like the Royal and GAB. It's a big enough playing field however that winning it is a major accomplishment.

kcquer
06-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey Scott, I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment that it's status has gotten to where it should be by invitation only. They had 188 teams I think it was. Several of us made the comment that we couldn't find many teams we'd ever heard of before. 90% of the teams were backyard local teams

I base that on the fact that it's a Royal Invitational and Jack qualifying event.

Doorbusters
06-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Amen Jeff. You and I shared our opinions last night. Pure Cluster Fark! Not to mention trying to find my truck in "Bob's yard" after the 7-8 beers. We got out of there a little after 11 and did not get back to Blue Springs til after 1:00! Strictly a visit only contest for me, Lord help those people if and when it rains!

Jeff_in_KC
06-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I base that on the fact that it's a Royal Invitational and Jack qualifying event.

Weird how it's gained so much in status with 80 to 90% backyard type teams. Probably just the age of the contest. It's been around forever it seems. Heck, I'd heard of Lenexa BBQ Battle before I even knew there was much other than the Royal and Lenexa!

The_Kapn
06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Definitely different ways of looking at this event by different folks.
The name is known nationally, probably because of the KingsFord commercials.

Interesting observations.

TIM

NOTE TO SELF---stay off the roads around this event in the evening :lol: Party Time for many!

Jeff_in_KC
06-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Definitely different ways of looking at this event by different folks.
The name is known nationally, probably because of the KingsFord commercials.

Interesting observations.

TIM

NOTE TO SELF---stay off the roads around this event in the evening :lol: Party Time for many!

I'd forgotten about the Kingsford commercials. It's definitely the party of the year in Lenexa. I'm not kidding when I tell you that the pathways through the comp area were twice as crowded as the Royal. Practically as many people it seemed but less than half the open space.

SP
06-25-2006, 09:02 PM
We were right across from Squel. I was going to come down and say hi but I had guest and beer of my own.
I did the contest last year for the first time, I had been there many time before. I said I wasnt going to do it again because of the line. Well they made a new rule tha if you got a call you just had to send in you app and money. I got a call last year, so I did it. I told my wife im not doing it next year if I dont get a call. And for how bad my stuff was pretty sure I wasnt going to be back. I got a 2nd in the misc, so I guess ill be back. I decided to smoke trout thursday before the contest. Lucky!

Jeff_in_KC
06-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Saw you did well in misc, Clay! Congrats!

ole'e
06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Ya I cooked for another team this weekend. Not alot of the usual players maybe less than a dozen. Alot of backyard cookers. I am not sure what the draw is for doing lenexa. I had a good time and the ambassadors took care of us but other than that I am not sure.

SP
06-26-2006, 09:37 AM
3 reason why there are not alot of the major players there.
The amout of people, the backyard guys that are a wild cards, the entry process.

Ohh yea Jeff, I used Miron trick and had one of my best finished in pork in a long while.

Jeff_in_KC
06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Good deal, Clay! That worked well for us too!

SinginBob
06-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I was out there Friday--first time for me also. Similar obcservatoins to yours, Jeff--way too many people in way to tight a space!

Wayne and I agreed we're glad we didn't do this one and unless we win a free entry we don't plan on doing it!