PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever smoked Arm roast

KC Transplant
04-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a side of beef and have never cooked an arm roast. I know it's part of the chuck so I'm wondering if I should treat it as such. I've smoked several chuck roasts.

sliding_billy
04-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I've done a bunch of them (they tend to go on sale regularly around me). Treat it just like a chuck and do pulled beef, or cook it to medium rare (either grill or smoke and reverse sear depending on the thickness) and cut very thin across the grain.

Grain Belt
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I really like cooking arm roast. I have cooked them to 200+ rested and pulled them, I have cooked them to medium rare and sliced thin like a tri- tip too. One other method I might add is smoking to 150-160 and then foiling with a little beef broth until 190, Then slicing thin and serving the slices in seasoned beef broth. I put this style on hoagie buns with onions, peppers, and provolone cheese and called it a "smoked philly." They got rave reviews at the party I served them at.

daninnewjersey
04-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Here's one way I tried which worked very well. I followed almost all of what this guy did. It's big and takes a long time but the results were really good..
Long Arm of the Roast mp4 - YouTube

Fwismoker
04-22-2014, 09:47 AM
That smoke doesn't look good ....and 200*? No thank you.

KC Transplant
04-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I smoked the arm roast, a fattie, some pork chops and beans today. Trying to maximize the cook. I cooked the roast to 160 and foiled it until it reached 200. Let it rest and sliced it thick, served with beans and cheesy potatoes. Turned out great. I'll have to post pics later. I tried something new and rubbed the roast with a horseradish sauce before adding the rub. I've rubbed pork butts with mustard, so figured it was worth a try. Turned out good. I forgot that I'd done that and was trying to figure out where the extra heat was coming from. I'll definitely be trying that again on beef.