PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk spiral ham..

Offthehook
04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
So my family decided beach camping was more fun than Easter dinner this year. Now normally I would join them but I am sailing on Saturday and cant make it back up north in time.

My friends decided to do a dinner and I was going to do 2 spiral hams from Costco. 1 in the oven and one on the WSM and wanted to know if anyone has warmed up these pre cooked hams on a smoker before. Any tips?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Offthehook
04-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I looked but I just noticed someone else beat me to it. Good replies too.

bbqbull
04-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Found this on About.com today. Great information here IMHO. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

http://bbq.about.com/od/ham/ss/aa120608a.htm

IamMadMan
04-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Spiral hams can dry out if cooked too long. I pan the cooked spiral ham in apple cider/juice and warm very slowly in the smoker (200°) until the it hits 136°. During the tented rest it will climb over 140° which is the USDA safe serving temperature for cooked ham.

I apply the smoke in the beginning but then turn to just a heating process after an hour.

Niloc
04-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Tin pan with about a half inch of apple or pineapple juice, flat side down. Rubbed/drizzled with melted brown sugar and butter and spritzed with pineapple juice. Smoked it about 4 hours at 200-225 on Christmas 2013. Turned out amazing, don't think I'll ever put it in the oven again.