PDA

View Full Version : Tying WSM 18.5" charcoal ring to grate make sense?

bbqgeekess
04-09-2014, 09:55 PM
I am used to a fire basket I can lift up and shake and set aside so I can quickly and easily empty the ash, and replace. Seems awkward with the ring separated.

Anyone else done this? I am guessing so.

Thanks.

c farmer
04-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Seems like it should work to me.

Fwismoker
04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
I agree...it's always seemed silly to me but i don't make the charcoal ring. I love just shaking out my basket and emptying out the ash. Just the other day i told peeps he needs a basket for his mini and he said he had some type of ring he can put in. It just doesn't make sense to me using a ring but i doubt Weber will ever change their system.

peeps
04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I agree...it's always seemed silly to me but i don't make the charcoal ring. I love just shaking out my basket and emptying out the ash. Just the other day i told peeps he needs a basket for his mini and he said he had some type of ring he can put in. It just doesn't make sense to me using a ring but i doubt Weber will ever change their system.Just to clarify, I had the ring attached to the charcoal grate for a while, but wanted to try a longer burn and larger load so I removed it since I haven't cut out the bottom of my mini and can't pile up the coals like your arrangement.

Fwismoker
04-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Just to clarify, I had the ring attached to the charcoal grate for a while, but wanted to try a longer burn and larger load so I removed it since I haven't cut out the bottom of my mini and can't pile up the coals like your arrangement.
Oh good, i'm glad you had it attached....so much easier. Definitely get that bottom cut out of the pot, i used the charcoal grate as a template.

bbqgeekess
04-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh good, i'm glad you had it attached....so much easier. Definitely get that bottom cut out of the pot, i used the charcoal grate as a template.

I used my fore-thumb as a gauge to measure from the edge of the tamale pot, making a bunch of dots with a sharpie--about 1 inch in--then connected them. Then I used a drill to make a hole, got the shears in there and started cutting. Then I filed it.

bbqgeekess
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I guess I am gonna tie this charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. Just wanted to know if there are any drawbacks to this that anyone has experienced--on the 18.5" WSM.

Or I could make an expanded metal ring (3/4" 9 guage) that is a bit taller since I have a shallower water pan / diffuser.

va_connoisseur
04-10-2014, 06:32 AM
I guess I am gonna tie this charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. Just wanted to know if there are any drawbacks to this that anyone has experienced--on the 18.5" WSM.

Or I could make an expanded metal ring (3/4" 9 guage) that is a bit taller since I have a shallower water pan / diffuser.

Tie it up. It makes a big difference longer cooks when knocking off ash. I have done it on my 18 and 22.

ajstrider
04-10-2014, 07:16 AM
This is a common thing to do. As long as you don't use galvanized wire tie I don't see anything wrong. I generally just put my UDS basket on the charcoal grate and use it. My basket is only six inches tall though, some people make a taller one that won't work.

ITBFQ
04-10-2014, 08:08 AM
The guy that owned my 18.5" WSM tied the ring to the grate, and it works very well for knocking ash off the coals, etc. When I made my UDS basket, I used stainless steel zip ties from Menards to fasten a few things. I've cooked dozens of times on it, and never had a problem. If I ever have to reattach the ring and grate on my WSM, that is what I will use. Here is what they look like.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mZTaWxVbOxi412kDT5IQ8cw.jpg

bbqgeekess
04-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks, those stainless steel ties: never seen or heard of them before--very handy!

ButtBurner
04-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks, those stainless steel ties: never seen or heard of them before--very handy!

dont you have hog rings and pliers?

I thought you mentioned that once

they would probably work

bbqgeekess
04-10-2014, 10:45 AM
dont you have hog rings and pliers?

I thought you mentioned that once

they would probably work

I talked about getting them but was convinced that rebar wire is fine. actually I'm just gonna use some leftover romex copper wire.

ButtBurner
04-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I talked about getting them but was convinced that rebar wire is fine. actually I'm just gonna use some leftover romex copper wire.

ok. copper may melt, I am not sure

wire coat hanger would work too

bbqgeekess
04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
ok. copper may melt, I am not sure

wire coat hanger would work too

I've used copper wire on my last two fire baskets (well because I just had extra on hand). It's been fine.

I just looked up the melting point for copper and it says 1981F.

ButtBurner
04-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I've used copper wire on my last two fire baskets (well because I just had extra on hand). It's been fine.

I just looked up the melting point for copper and it says 1981F.

thats the temp i use for hot n fast

bbqgeekess
04-10-2014, 11:23 AM
thats the temp i use for hot n fast
Giggle.

THoey1963
04-11-2014, 01:35 AM
I wired mine together on my WSM 22.5 and added some eye bolt handles. I added four handles as it also lets me do direct grilling over the coals.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182084