PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!! A lot of $$$$$$!!!

JohnDeereSmoker
04-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Just returned from Sam's tonight with around 83 lbs. of brisket and 30 racks of baby backs..... Talk about price shock!!! With a few other things I ended up leaving around $800 there!:shock: Planning on doing some for family at Easter and then the majority will be for my parent's anniversary coming up in a couple weeks.... Oh well... I will have fun!!!! Any quick tips to try on brisket or the babies????

Cris

bbqgeekess
04-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if by this summer gas is $5 a gallon, brisket packers are $4 a pound and pork butts are $3 a pound. And due to those meats being to expensive the demand for chicken will go up and then they will be like $1.50 a pound for whole fryers instead of $1.

Meat has doubled in price in the past 5 years I swear.. yet inflation over those years is what around 15% max? I don't get it.

Are we exporting a lot of meat compared to 10 years ago?

Smoke & Beers
04-09-2014, 07:23 AM
JohnDeere... what was the price you paid for the packers per pound?

early mornin' smokin'
04-09-2014, 08:32 AM
i pay around $4/lb for CAB packers, and I buy quantities in the 100's of lbs

Bludawg
04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if by this summer gas is $5 a gallon, brisket packers are $4 a pound and pork butts are $3 a pound. And due to those meats being to expensive the demand for chicken will go up and then they will be like $1.50 a pound for whole fryers instead of $1.

Meat has doubled in price in the past 5 years I swear.. yet inflation over those years is what around 15% max? I don't get it.

Are we exporting a lot of meat compared to 10 years ago?It's already begun. Fryers have been 1.47 lb here for the last 2 months up from .88 lb

jhuyser
04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
WOW have to start smoking Tofu and veggies. hhhmmmmm little beef broth in a block of tofu smoked low and slow, would prob taste like brisket.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT:clap2:

peeps
04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
WOW have to start smoking Tofu and veggies. hhhmmmmm little beef broth in a block of tofu smoked low and slow, would prob taste like brisket.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT:clap2:PM 16Adams for tips! He's a pro at smoking non-meat "meats" :wink:

Haveuseen1?
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I always fine it crazy at how location has such a price impact.

We buy CAB briskets here at SAMS for Less than 3.00 a pound. I think they were 2.89/lb last weekend. That is buying one, I am not sure what or if there is a case price.

At least I think they are CAB. They are the Excel brand, and they say Angus on there.

mattdean1003
04-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I work at a Dollar General Market now and I'm super impressed with our meat and prices. The sirloin steaks are incredible and the chicken drumsticks are always like 2.49 for a 6 pack. It saves me from having to run somewhere and pick more up when I can just buy it there and be done with it, along with 1 or 2 of the main rubs that I use. We have some pretty quality meat but if I want a ribeye, I'm going up to the little gas station/market up the road from them. They have steaks that are borderline prime marbling for really, really good prices, and their Boston butts are always 1.49 a pound. I believe all of their meat is hand trimmed and sent in.

TroyA65
04-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Hey it's family....I'd charge them at the door!!!:twisted:

smokeymeatsweats
04-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Here's a couple reads linking some of the causes http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Wallet-Takes-a-Bite-at-the-Barbecue-254646851.html#

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-resources/hot-topics/livestock-theft/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/11/widespread-pig-virus-threatens-to-bump-pork-prices/

Offthehook
04-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Made it to the headlines today

rdstoll
04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Was at a Heinen's tonight and they had Tri-tip for $9.99/lb!

landarc
04-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Wow, those prices seem pretty good for out here.

Prices are going up due to a lack of production, the production loss is well documented and pretty across the board. Drought, pig virus, very cold and long winter, animal kills due to snow and feed prices. All of it is a perfect storm for prices.

That being said, America has a weight and metabolic problem, and we could all eat more vegetables.

early mornin' smokin'
04-10-2014, 09:01 AM
just checked my bill, CAB brisket was $3.15 this week

pwa
04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Were are right at $3/lb packer CAB when bought by the case

DanB
04-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi All Was at Restaurant Depot today..Talk about sticker shock they had CAB briskets for $3.99, last time maybe a month ago they were $3.10:crazy:
They used also sell IBP briskets for much less then CAB ones, couldn't find any IBP briskets today.
Also all, they had today were Smithfield ribs,spares n baby backs no IBP ribs at all either.
Pork Butt prices didn't seem that bad.
DanB

GrillsGoneWild
04-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi All Was at Restaurant Depot today..Talk about sticker shock they had CAB briskets for $3.99, last time maybe a month ago they were $3.10:crazy:
They used also sell IBP briskets for much less then CAB ones, couldn't find any IBP briskets today.
Also all, they had today were Smithfield ribs,spares n baby backs no IBP ribs at all either.
Pork Butt prices didn't seem that bad.
DanB

I was at RD yesterday and it was probably the first time I didn't walk out with at least 1 brisket. Prices are really high. Albertson's will have their Choice Briskets on sale this weekend for $1.99/lb with $10 purchase. I'll grocery shop and split up the purchase to get a couple of briskets at a minimum. I'm looking at some of these deals as a way to stock up the freezer because prices aren't going to come down anytime soon. However, I did get a couple of packages of their babybacks because the wife likes them and they were $2.99/lb.