PDA

View Full Version : Source for 55 Gal Drum in Houston, TX

cornbread's smoking bbq
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I want to build a UDS and thought I would ask if anybody in the Houston area knows a good source for an unlined drum?
I want to try to build my first one as cheap as possible. I've done quite a bit of research and I want to give a UDS a try.
I found one place on Craigslist, but they are closed top drums.
From what I have read, to make the build easier, I need an unlined drum.
I would assume food grade would be the best?
I'd rather not cook in something that I wasn't 100% sure had never had a chemical, fuel, etc inside at one point.
I suppose if I couldn't find an unlined drum I could always have it sandblasted for a reasonable price?

DjPorkchop
04-07-2014, 01:38 PM
You do for sure want a open top drum. Makes life much easier.

And as far as food grade goes, most food grade drums will have a liner in them. I wouldn't worry if one ever had a chemical in it or not to be honest. If you can grab a drum that had something like white oil or something like that in it, it isn't going to have a liner and a good fire will burn it clean. Providing you can burn a drum where you live. Drill the bottom holes first and light it up nice and hot for a couple hours.

caliking
04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
See this thread for some helpful info:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184646

cornbread's smoking bbq
04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys. As soon as I get this thing put together I will post some pics.
Gonna go as cheap as I can for the first one to make sure I figure out how to control the temp, etc. I'm used to an offset stick burner, so I figure there will be a learning curve.
IF I can get it tuned in I plan on making another, but I will go back and add a few bells, whistles and some paint to make them "pretty"..