PDA

View Full Version : My buddy painted the inside of his drum!

cmwr
04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
My bud Brian sent me a pic text today. He finally had his UDS going and was seasoning it. I had to drive up and hang with him a bit. During conversation he said he had painted the inside of his drum as well as out with black high temp BBQ paint in a rattle can. I told him he was not supposed to paint the inside! What to do then though so we just let her burn in really good. He rubbed veg oil all over the inside. Is there anything he needs to worry about or will this be safe? I don't think he was too worried about it but I don't want anyone getting sick.

Fwismoker
04-06-2014, 07:34 PM
LOL...my powder coaters accidentally did the inside of one i had done but i had them sand blast it out....just didn't want to take any chances.

At minimum i'd run a load of lump at full bore with the lid cracked....let that thing get as hot as possible. Personally i'd at least wire brush it out with a angle grinder or drill but that's me.

cmwr
04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
LOL...my powder coaters accidentally did the inside of one i had done but i had them sand blast it out....just didn't want to take any chances.

At minimum i'd run a load of lump at full bore with the lid cracked....let that thing get as hot as possible. Personally i'd at least wire brush it out with a angle grinder or drill but that's me.

Is it going to be hazardous or just make food taste bad? Kind of weird though as it is high temp paint it should survive the internal temps anyways?

SmittyJonz
04-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I dunno - seems like a cpl high temp seasoning runs oughta take of it?

N8man
04-06-2014, 07:42 PM
That's a bad thing.....really bad....

Fwismoker
04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Is it going to be hazardous or just make food taste bad? Kind of weird though as it is high temp paint it should survive the internal temps anyways?
Considering there isn't a manufacturer anywhere that paints the inside of their smokers that's telling imo.

If he's "dead" set on leaving it i'd cure the crap out of it. I don't think it's about heat ratings but what chemical bi products might be released into the smoke and food.

cmwr
04-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I just texted him and he said him and the boys were eating steaks cooked on it right now and if they get sick then he agreed lol.

Fwismoker
04-06-2014, 07:59 PM
I just texted him and he said him and the boys were eating steaks cooked on it right now and if they get sick then he agreed lol. Getting sick doesn't have to mean get sick right away, it could be a long term poisoning....not smart on his part but oh well.

cmwr
04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I am offering to clean it out with my grinder and wire wheel this week sometime if he doesn't care. He has agreed to grind the inside out. He thinks it is a good idea.

Theboz1419
04-06-2014, 08:17 PM
One thing I do know about Hi-temp Paint, when you get it above 400 it starts to stink. I smelled my paint after 3 years of use yesterday when I did Paella on it and the temp was up to 450.....Its Nasty