PDA

View Full Version : CL score/I am one dumb farker.

charrederhead
03-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Thankfully, I am one LUCKY dumb farker.

Found a CL listing for a 2010 Platinum grill- this model:

Amazon.com: Weber 1361001 Platinum One-Touch 22-1/2-Inch Kettle Grill, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41r2C1gMQWL.@@AMEPARAM@@41r2C1gMQWL

The original owners bought it last year but are moving to San Diego (nice!) because of his new job- brewing at Stone Brewing Co. (awesome!).

A little weather info is necessary...there is a big ocean storm to the east. The only effects here are cold and major wind. :rolleyes:

Windy as heck, and cold...I get the grill loaded on the pickup and put it against the cab, wheels perpendicular to the truck bed, and strap it in. Did I say it was really windy?

Ok, going down the rural road, 40MPH, all is well, got another score, gonna share it w/ the Brethren, la-di-da-di-di...meanwhile the wind is quite gusty. One gust actually moved the side mirror in toward the door about 2 inches...la-di-da-di-di-di....almost home...why is the guy behind me flashing his lights and waving me over???? Unmarked arm of the law?? Was I speeding?? Wtfark?

I pull over, he pulls over then gets out and approaches. No uniform or anything. I roll down the window- "Your grill lid flew off and hit my car".

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

I walk toward his SUV, feeling like a complete dipstick, expecting to see a cracked windshield or headlight or dented hood. He goes around to the passenger side and points to the bottom of the fender, behind the tire, to show me a very minor ding and scratch, worthy of an angry shopping cart. He said he made an evasive maneuver to avoid the flying saucer.

He was cool about the whole thing. We exchanged contact info (ironically he lives in the town where I bought the grill) and I asked how far back did the lid come off. He said "about half a mile".

I went back looking for one seriously dinged lid but guess what! I couldn't find it anywhere. :confused: I only had about 30 minutes of spare time to search.

Anyway, the point is, I'm experienced at hauling things in a pickup truck, tying things down, double-checking loads, etc etc, and for some !@#$%! reason, I left that lid on the kettle. Potential danger.

Kicked myself for a couple of hours....I think I'm over it. :tsk::tsk::tsk:
:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

The lids to these Platinums are unique in that they have that big "front" handle and the vent is centered, not offset like usual.

I have plenty of regular 22.5" lids and they fit fine. For $70 I can get a GEN-U-INE Platinum lid from the fine folks at Weber.

So boys and girls, please don't be stupid like me. :-D

Always secure the load! :clap2:

Pyle's BBQ
03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
As soon as you mentioned the wind and secured load. I knew you forgot the lid. Great score though.

peeps
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Damn, man! That sucks! Better the $70 lid fee then the unsecured load ticket, eh?

Beef
03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
That is a bummer. Thanks for the lesson!

buccaneer
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Whenever someone says "about a (insert measurement here ) " you know it has a 10,000% margin of error every time.

Great score, and you almost had a story on how you took out a SUV with a weber lid too!

Guando
03-27-2014, 05:26 AM
That sucks. Still a good score though. It was horribly windy here yesterday and way too farking cold.

jonboy
03-27-2014, 05:37 AM
So you are saying the officer left the evidence at the scene of the crime or he bagged and tagged your lid?
It seems if he was going to chase you down at least he would have grabbed the lid...
maybe i am missing something here.:roll:
jon

sliding_billy
03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Glad nothing terrible happened.

NickTheGreat
03-27-2014, 06:53 AM
As soon as you mentioned the wind and secured load. I knew you forgot the lid. Great score though.

Same here. Glad it didn't turn out any worse :pray:

dwfisk
03-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Oh, it could be worse.

I used to buy hay (+/-900 pound round roles), have a guy barn store them and pick them up one at a time in a smaller trailer with sturdy 16" side rails. Hay guy says I'm only going a couple miles, no reason to strap the hay. You can see where this is headed; stopped for a cross road, round bale rolled forward, jumped the side rail and bashed the back of my vintage Bronco; $2,500 damage. Needless to say I'm now pretty anal about securing my loads.

Glad your experience worked out OK.

ITBFQ
03-27-2014, 07:33 AM
The same thing happened to me in February. I forgot to strap the lid down to the grill I was hauling home from a competition. Got home... no lid! No one flagged me down or anything. It was around 5 on a Sunday evening on the area expressways, so traffic was light. I had that cheapo thermos grill for over 10 years anyway. Just replaced it with a OTS I got for $20 on CL. I'll be more careful with what I haul from now on, too.