PDA

View Full Version : Aged Meat

TERCH
03-23-2014, 11:22 PM
2 questions for you-

1. How long do you age your briskets for? I keep them in the fridge in the cryovac for 3 weeks but hear some do it even longer.

2. How long will spare ribs stay good when refridgerated and sealed in the cryovac?

Thanks!

retired trucker
03-23-2014, 11:42 PM
For the briskets, it depends on the date on the package, but 3 or four weeks should be safe if kept in the mid to upper 30's.

For the spare's, I would be hesitance to leave them for any length of time just in the fridge unless they were vacuum sealed, and in the cyrovac is not vacuum sealed. Check for bad odor when taken out of the package and then rinsed good in cold water. If they have a bad odor, then I personally would not cook them. YMMV

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

TERCH
03-24-2014, 11:28 AM
The Spares have been in the fridge for 7 days. They are from restaurant depot and are still in the cryovac. I wasn't able to cook them when I wanted and hate to let them go to waste. Should i cook em tonght or let 'em go?

Ron_L
03-24-2014, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't let those spares go any longer. You don't know how long they were sitting at RD. Open try cryo and if they have an off smell give them a good rinse. If the smell is still there then I would get rid of them.

For briskets, I usually go 40 days past the pack date, but you have to know the pack date to go that long. The date codes at RD are the day that they print the price label and that could be a couple of days past the pack date or it could be longer.

Cayman1
03-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Open the ribs, rinse, then smell. Trust me, if they are bad you will know it. I normally age 40-50 days on brisket but have had one go bad in that time. Don't know why, but no doubt about it when I opened it.

LongTong
03-24-2014, 04:07 PM
For the Brisket, 4 to 6 weeks is OK after the pack date which is not necessarily the date on the label. Pork needs to used with a few days...