PDA

View Full Version : Do you mist your meat?

revkab
03-23-2014, 06:21 PM
OK, next ridiculous question. There are those who spray or mist their cooks periodically with all sorts of concoctions - water, apple juice, special brew filtered through their grandma's old stockings, etc. I have heard all sorts of ideas such as adding extra flavor (I thought that's what rubs were for), or adding extra moisture (I thought that what low and slow was all about. So how about YOUR thoughts? Should I spray down my cooks (Large offset cooker) or go naked? Personally, I lean towards going naked, rather than opening the pit and losing precious heat, but would this add moisture?

IamMadMan
03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
I use apple juice toward the end, not to add flavor, not to moisten, but to give a nice sheen to the meat for presentation.

http://post11.org/Pictures/butt.JPG

Fwismoker
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
No need ever for any reason. Contrary to what is put out there it doesn't add moisture, add to bark (plenty of moisture in the meat for that). Oh it does add to cooking time. :biggrin1:

I hate using the old worn out saying but if you're lookin you ....

thirdeye
03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SBs1f.jpg

I spray..... pork gets a mix of apple juice, wooster and seasoned salt. Brisket gets a mix of water, wooster and a little oil.

Dreggs
03-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Not I

BobBrisket
03-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Depends. I'm on the other unpopular way of thinking. Spraying, mopping spritzing can add lots of flavor. I like to use concentrates with sugars and heavy flavors to creat another layer of flavor on the bark.
Moisture-no.
Extended cooking time - yes.
Extra layer do flavor-YES!

The key....go with a thick mop. Thick enough and concentrated enough so you only gotta do it once or twice. I do agree, if you are looking, ya ain't cooking.

^^^^^^I'm with Thirdeye. Course he don't know nothing bout Q or flavors er nuthin! Look at those butts he posted. They look hideous! :becky:

mwilson6
03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Nope.

mikemci
03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!!!! NEVER for ANY reason!!! K.I.S.S. always.

pjtexas1
03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
I stopped a while back and now my cook times are shorter.:-D

smoke ninja
03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
They can add flavor, they can help bark, I don't do it.......unless I'm on the old school block pit that's more open pit style direct heat.

Zin
03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
The only time i really mist is to control bark texture. Every piece of meat is different some need spritzing some do not.

HarrynVegas
03-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Nope

BobBrisket
03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Everyone is in such a rush these days with this hot and fast BS! What's another 10, 15 minutes to your cook time. Most of ya spend more than that drinking beer!

Ain't nothing wrong with it if you do it and have the time to do it. A good, thick flavorful mop or spray adds a lil somethin, somethin.

Just my .02

What do I know any way...............................:wacko: I think you all are missing out!

Rusty Kettle
03-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Well maybe I try it sometime just to see what happens never hurts to try

BBQchef33
03-23-2014, 11:11 PM
for some reason, I only mop or spray on my stick burners, not the drums or ceramics, and never on the pellet cooker.. i thin k it definatly does add more depth of flavors.

for briskets i make a mop of coke, franks redhot, a little black coffee and chopped garlic.

butts is vinegar(or pickle juice) and 7up and some rub.

dont know why.. just do..

retired trucker
03-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Well maybe I try it sometime just to see what happens never hurts to try

++1 ^^^
Good thinking there R K! We need to be more flexible to find new flavors and tastes with our cooking, otherwise everything would be the same ole same and there would be no new discoveries. Of course that does not apply to trying out brockly. No one should ever have to try them little shrunken tree trunks if they don't want to. I don't care what my wife and daughter says. I ain't eating them!:frusty:

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

retired trucker
03-23-2014, 11:23 PM
for some reason, I only mop or spray on my stick burners, not the drums or ceramics, and never on the pellet cooker.. i thin k it definatly does add more depth of flavors.

for briskets i make a mop of coke, franks redhot, a little black coffee and chopped garlic.

butts is vinegar(or pickle juice) and 7up and some rub.

dont know why.. just do..

Have you ever tried Dr. Pepper as a seasoning or marinade?

Omar

BBQchef33
03-23-2014, 11:42 PM
yes, use it interchangeably with coke on brisket.

Look up Dr. pepper marinade.. the recipe is somewhere in the archives.

retired trucker
03-23-2014, 11:51 PM
yes, use it interchangeably with coke on brisket.

Look up Dr. pepper marinade.. the recipe is somewhere in the archives.

Your experience with the Dr. Pepper marinade is the basis of my above post. It is too late to look it up and read it again, as I do have to get up an function tomorrow!
Besides the wife is asleep and I don't want to wake her up with me laughing hysterically this late at night.

Omar

BBQchef33
03-24-2014, 12:27 AM
ohhhh.. you read Farking fwooooshhhhh....!!! i was going to go find that but it didnt have the recipe in it.. :)

here...let me help.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7211

grillinguy247
03-24-2014, 12:59 AM
I always try different ways because I get bored with the same old thing. I don't believe in finding one way and then thinking that's the only way to cook. Depending if I am to busy or not dictates if I Spritz, cook hot n fast, low n slow, injected etc... I have learned to just go with the flow.