PDA

View Full Version : What does Whole Hog taste like?

tb80
03-22-2014, 12:45 PM
I would love to do a whole hog, but don't have the necessary equipment at this time. Just out of curiosity, does a whole hog taste any different that when the individual parts are cooked?

For example, do the ribs on a whole hog taste the same as regular spare ribs as long as you use the same seasoning? Same question with regards to the tenderloin, shoulder, hams, etc...?

If it tastes different, how is it different?

Bludawg
03-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Pork chops or chicken:roll:
cheapest way to cook a hawg
Hot to Build a Pit BBQ for $250 - YouTube

smoke ninja
03-22-2014, 01:16 PM
You can cook a hog on a pile of blocks. Don't be scared

lantern
03-22-2014, 02:14 PM
It does taste different. And how much depends on how it's cooked and served.

The skin makes for a milder smoke flavor, but the amount of fat brings a new texture and flavor as well. If it's served "pig pickin'" style you'll get varying levels of smoke depending where you pick from, but in the end it'll come across like roast pork with a smoky awesome in the background that ya just can't replicate.

Now if the hog is split and cooked over coals cavity down then flipped to finish on the back, it'll have that semi-grilled caramelized flavor to the outer pieces to go with the roasted goodness deeper inside.

Here's where it gets fun. CHOPPING the whole thing up into one big pile of pig nirvana. If you do it this way there's just nothing like it. All the parts mix together to form something ya just can't get out of just a picnic or butt.

To me, the perfect mix of this is to start the hog cavity down over coals and finish on its back and THEN chop and mix all the meat together. I prefer this with a splash of vinegar and red pepper while being mixed and I can make enough sammiches of this stuff till I pass out.

wjwheeler
03-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Imagine the best pork you've ever eaten and multiply that times 100.

cowgirl
03-22-2014, 03:16 PM
What Lantern said. ^^^

I notice the difference in flavor between the underground pit, my block pit and my horizontal wood burner. All come out a bit different but tasty. They're all good.

CharredApron
03-22-2014, 03:30 PM
As Nike say's " Just Do it! " My friends always say to me " Take pictures when your on your vacation" I do but I don't share them. If you really want to experience something, Do It for yourself! It is not difficult to produce a great whole hog using numerous methods. The only problem is to have enough people on hand to help you eat one. IMHO there is nothing like cooking a whole animal regardless of what species it is. A spatchcocked chicken, a whole fish, a lamb, rabbit, but a pig is the top of the food chain for me. All parts are edible. There is a difference for me in cooking anything whole. It is also important for me to respect the animal that has given it's life for me. It is my duty to honor it by preparing it to the best of my ability.

Hawg Father of Seoul
03-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Pretty much like shoulder... if you cook the shoulder with the skin on. There are enough muscles in a shoulder to provide a variety of textures. If your shoulders aren't as good as your whole hog... try harder.

BUT, if you want to impress the boss, neighbors, Jones, ect......

Whole hog baby!!!

Hawg Father of Seoul
03-22-2014, 03:47 PM
As Nike say's " Just Do it! " My friends always say to me " Take pictures when your on your vacation" I do but I don't share them. If you really want to experience something, Do It for yourself! It is not difficult to produce a great whole hog using numerous methods. The only problem is to have enough people on hand to help you eat one. IMHO there is nothing like cooking a whole animal regardless of what species it is. A spatchcocked chicken, a whole fish, a lamb, rabbit, but a pig is the top of the food chain for me. All parts are edible. There is a difference for me in cooking anything whole. It is also important for me to respect the animal that has given it's life for me. It is my duty to honor it by preparing it to the best of my ability.

Absolutely. My comp food tastes different from the "norm" for this very reason. If I can do better and not "molest" the animal, I will.

gtr
03-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I've done a few whole pigs racer style in my offset. I was surprised at the amount of smoke flavor I got - it was pretty mild, but more than I figured due to the fact that it had skin on and could only penetrate through the cavity. The meat is very tender and juicy - I think the skin helps with this. It's a relatively inefficient cook yield-wise, but the fun of a pig roast is undeniable - people love it and it's pretty much a guaranteed great party. We do 'em a couple times a year and really enjoy it. Plus you get a bunch of bones to make a really nice stock. We may or may not have a pig skull or 2 as decoration as well.

ssv3
03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
If Awesome had a taste, a whole hog would be it. What the guys and gals said above.

SmokinAussie
03-22-2014, 04:55 PM
No idea... I've never been able to fit a whole hog in my mouth!:shock:

Fwismoker
03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Like Summertime

aquablue22
03-22-2014, 05:46 PM
What Lantern said. ^^^

I notice the difference in flavor between the underground pit, my block pit and my horizontal wood burner. All come out a bit different but tasty. They're all good.

I am on this side of this camp, nothing any better, when you combine all the meat from a pig you get a bit of each, loin, ribs, butts, shoulder, SKIN, etc. You can do one without a pit, follow Lantern of Cowgirls plan, it works and works well! Good luck, worth every minute!

tb80
03-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will have to try to figure out how to do one. Sounds like fun and tasy.