PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to Ask....But Which Grill

Smokin-Canuck
03-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I know this question has likely been asked a dozen times but I'm stuck on a decision and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Let me first say a I have a WSM 18.5" as my go-to smoker and I love it. I have a Weber Q320 as a gasser so the void currently is a charcoal grill. I have a buddy who bought my Weber Performer (Silver) - he really liked the space-saving fold down table for his small patio.

Soooooooo..........Akorn or Performer Platnium? Just remember, I have the WSM as the smoking work-horse - so although this purchase could be responsible for the odd smaller smoke, most of it's work will be grilling and high temp cooks e.g. steaks.

Personally I'm leaning towards a "crimson" Performer for the following reasons:

- bigger grill
- more versatile
- easier 2 zone setups
- Weber quality, warranty, parts availability, etc....
- the new crimson is "sexy" :becky:

Ron_L
03-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Either one would do a fine job, but I think all of your reasons to lean toward the performer are good ones. It would be very hard to regret betting the Performer.

cmwr
03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
I just used my performer today for the first time in a long time to grill 6 rib eyes and 2 t bones and I will say the performer rocks! And before I ever owned an actual smoker, I learned to smoke ribs on my performer. Nothing short of an awesome grill!

NRA4Life
03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Weber. Their customer service cannot be beaten.

Happy Hapgood
03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Weber Dude.

1911Ron
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I'd go for the Weber why well lets say i have a thing for them! :becky::becky:
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/001_zpsac10c3a2.jpg

smoke ninja
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Being from a cold climate the akorn would be fuel efficient and you have a good smoker already. ........but I can say for sure that a weber will last at least a decade, probably way longer. I'm sure the akorn will last with care but ain't nobody got time for that. So my conclusion is to build a drum.

smoke ninja
03-16-2014, 08:12 PM
If you cook a lot at one time a 26 kettle would suit your needs for that price, you just have to build a table.

jjjonz
03-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Performer Platinum ....gas assist. The best all around grill/smoker on the market and so easy to operate and clean.jmho

JazzyBadger
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
If you want to make pizzas, then the Akorn would be a good choice.
Of course you can always just buy that pizza conversion kit for a Kettle cooker as well, or build one yourself if you were so inclined.

Also I'd just like to say you shouldn't feel the need to apologize. People might ask this question a lot, but it's rarely for the exact same reasons.
Every situation is different. PLUS you're asking a bunch of people on the internet for an opinion. That's a DREAM COME TRUE!

Fatmike
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Weber def....my Akorn leaks terrible and needs a bunch of mods to get it to low and slow.

THoey1963
03-16-2014, 10:56 PM
It's not for everyone (you have to bend over), but if you turn your WSM coal grate and ring into a true basket, then attach four large eye bolts to the coal grate to be able to grab and shake the ash off with, you can then set a grill grate across the top of those eye bolts and be cooking right above the coals. I did this to my WSM 22.5" and then use my gasser for just high heat grilling like chicken.

We did some Korean ribs on ours and got a great grill cook with a nice sear.

Rusty Kettle
03-16-2014, 11:01 PM
You sold your silver? Shame on you lol only kidding. You can guess what I am going to say get the performer weber is the best. I love kettle grills.

Fwismoker
03-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Mini WSM hands down and there isn't a close second place. I smoke, grill and sear most of my meals on it.

samfsu
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I love my performer for a few reasons. Oak grilled steaks. Anything smoked that I want to do a high heat sear on after(like the wings I smoked today for an hour indirect, then spread out the coals and crisped them up). Honestly I have not used it for "smaller" smokes because I have the WSM and it is a workhorse for quality bbq. My performer has the gas assist and I use that to start the charcoal for my smokers all the time. All around great grill.

bbqgeekess
03-17-2014, 05:11 AM
Let me first say a I have a WSM 18.5" as my go-to smoker and I love it. I have a Weber Q320 as a gasser so the void currently is a charcoal grill.

I am thinking about building a fire basket for the WSM, just the right height, so that it can be used down below for smoking or between the two cooking grates for grilling/searing. (I'll replace the lower cooking grate with the more heavy duty charcoal grate from the 22.5" kettle -- which is the same size I believe.)

HarrynVegas
03-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I love my 1992 Red Performer, but if I'm just doing one or two steaks for my wife and I,I fire up some lump in the chimney over the Performer gas lighter and dump it into my Smokey Joe. Cooks great and less clean up.

aawa
03-17-2014, 08:44 AM
I say go with the kettle. Just add to your Weber collection.

This was my collection. I have since passed the 2 OTG and 1 mini to friends getting into the bbq hobby. I also added another performer.
http://i.imgur.com/sfH3OeZ.jpg

Ozric
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I would definitely go with the Weber Performer Platinum for a few reasons:

1) full disclosure (I have one, and love it)
2) gas-assist lighting (for both charcoal chimneys and Thunderdome's Vortex)
3) I like have a bag of charcoal stored at the grill
4) the side tray is quite large, stable; very usable
5) the storage rack underneath is also quite usable
6) throw the stupid timer away; useless :lol:

What's a Vortex? Here's a link to page 2 on Thunderdome's BBQ blog (http://thunderdomebbq.com/page/2). Scroll down for a few posts with plenty of photos of the Vortex in use. Those photos show the prototype version (the one I bought for $20). The current shipping version is made from stainless steel and has flat, smooth edges all around.

I do a lot of sous vide cooking, with a final sear at the end. The Weber kettle/Vortex combo is perfect for that. I leave the Vortex with partially used charcoal in place. When I next need a sear, I sweep the ashes out of the kettle, add some fresh charcoal to the top of the Vortex, fire up the gas assist (no chimney required; the Vortex serves that purpose) and let 'er rip will the meat is coming up to temp in the sous vide.

When I'm ready to eat, I pull the meat from the sous vide, pat it dry, and give it a 1 minute sear on each side over the Vortex. I immediately shut the vents on the kettle to retain as much useful charcoal as possible. This turns out to be a pretty efficient use of fuel.

bwram1
03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Nothing beats a Weber!

THoey1963
03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
I am thinking about building a fire basket for the WSM, just the right height, so that it can be used down below for smoking or between the two cooking grates for grilling/searing. (I'll replace the lower cooking grate with the more heavy duty charcoal grate from the 22.5" kettle -- which is the same size I believe.)

Not trying to dissuade you from that idea, but say you did it. To char grill, you'd do the following:

Remove dome.
Remove barrel.
Remove basket.
Replace barrel.
Remove grates.
Set basket and start fire.
Replace grates.
Cook.
Put it all back...

The way I built my basket with the eye bolts, I just:

Remove the dome.
Remove the barrel.
Start fire.
Set grate on top of eye bolts.
Cook.

Seems like a lot less work and less chance of getting ash all in your barrel.

IlliniQ
03-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I second (nineteenth?) the Weber vote...and agree with your opinion about the crimson, great looking finish!

BB-Kuhn
03-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Akorn is a really nice grill, but it's not like you'll ever regret buying a weber kettle grill.

newpower
03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
I have both the Akorn and several Webers. I use the Akorn far more than the Webers. That being said I love to cook on the Weber but the Akorn can do the same with more control. True I have done a lot of mods to the akorn ( thanks Jim Setzler) but it is my goto grill for most cooks.

Smokin-Canuck
03-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks to all that responded. I think if I did not have WSM i.e. needed something for long low and slow cooks the decision would be harder. However I've decided the Performer wins.

I chose to ask the question here and not over at the Weber board thinking I'd get a more "unbiased" opinion here - it seems however that Weber is held in just as high regard here.

Thanks again.

deguerre
03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Well then. I was going to say I have both too, and would still recommend the Weber for durability if nothing else. The Akorn has weathered well, but I don't think it will last as long as the Performer will.

smoke ninja
03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
We're a bunch of Web heads.

Friedturkeyspam
03-17-2014, 03:19 PM
I recently bought a 26.76" Weber and absolutely love it. I've had the 22.5" variety for years and got this new one off Ebay for $219 delivered. It has changed the way I cook steaks by building a fire on one side of it and putting the meat on the other side with the air vent above it. It works great for small smoking projects like a dozen brats etc.
It does eat up some real estate but I wished I'd done it twenty years ago.

Good luck

HankB
03-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I recently bought a 26.76" Weber and absolutely love it. Love mine too. I can do 10 lb of chicken leg quarters indirect at one time. :-D

OTOH I cooked on my 18 WSM today and used the Performer to light the charcoal chimney and then later to set a tray of meat and other stuff on while tending the smoker. Last Friday I cooked Friday's dinner on it consisting of grilled shrimp, peppers, zucchini, broccoli and onions mostly at the same time.

NB: I'm biased in favor of Webers. :becky:

bbqgeekess
03-17-2014, 11:56 PM
The way I built my basket with the eye bolts, I just:

Remove the dome.
Remove the barrel.
Start fire.
Set grate on top of eye bolts.
Cook.

Seems like a lot less work and less chance of getting ash all in your barrel.

Trying to follow this. You grill/sear right on teh base of your wsm.. but why the eyebolts? Doesn't the grate sit down there without them.. I never tried. I know you have to get this little lid hooks to hold the dim hood on and in place.

But you have to bend over to grill that way right. I guess it would be okay if I used a chair.

SmokinM
03-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Save the extra coin and get the OTG 22.5 over the performer.

Ron_L
03-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I chose to ask the question here and not over at the Weber board thinking I'd get a more "unbiased" opinion here - it seems however that Weber is held in just as high regard here.

Weber makes some great products and lots of us own and enjoy using them!

Congrats on your decision!