PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a drum, to build a uds.

danno79
03-15-2014, 10:01 AM
I really want to build a UDS. Does anyone know where I can get a food-grade drum. I don't want to have to worry about toxic fumes from paint, zinc oxide, etc.
P.S. Can be used, I don't want to put a whole lot of money into it, if possible.

bwsawman
03-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Check Craigslist.

I wouldn't worry about it being food grade though. Most of those have a liner that needs to be burned out anyhow. If you get a free oil barrel and burn it out it will be in the same condition as the food grade barrel after it is burned out. Many times the oil drums don't have the liner that is so hard to remove.

I know it doesn't sound good but after a roaring hot fire it will be fine. My UDS barrel I picked up from our school bus garage...it had antifreeze in it. Yes, I made sure that it burned HOT! I'm still kickin' ...never any problems.

danno79
03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks Sawman, that puts my mind at ease. So I'll check Craigslist. To get a free drum, where would I check, and why do they get rid of them?

Fwismoker
03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Yea don't worry about food grade...more a PITA than they're worth with liners.

Simple carbon steel drum and burn/wirebrush or sandblast it if it's used.

AaronPo
03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks Sawman, that puts my mind at ease. So I'll check Craigslist. To get a free drum, where would I check, and why do they get rid of them?

Metal scrap yards are always good to check, hell I put a post up on facebook and a couple of my friends had drums they were all to anxious to get rid of.

Fwismoker
03-15-2014, 10:54 AM
I got mine from a metal recycler for 5 dollars.

danno79
03-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks Guys, I will be checking all of those places, and facebook.

Carbon
03-15-2014, 11:08 AM
A reconditioned drum is always the least hassle to work with. They're painted fresh on the outside, and bare steel on the inside with some rust inhibitor which can be easily wiped clean. And the paint will hold high temps. Just assemble your hardware and you're good to go.

Bludawg
03-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Food Grade = a liner, a Liner = a nasty job;burn out, sanding/grinding. Fire purifies all an unlined drum that contained anything other than radioactive material is just fine. Get a refurbished drum they are cleaned repainted and bare steel all you have to do is build it. If a used Food Grade lined drum is 15.00 and a Refurbished one Bare steel is 35.00 I'd gladly give up the 20 extra. I pay 35.00 for refurbished open head drums with a lid & ring locally

SmittyJonz
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Try Feed N Ag Supply Stores - all of them down here sell drums $22-$28.

captndan
03-16-2014, 10:25 AM
The fast lube places usually give them away.