PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe ive done it... HELP

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Well, I have lived in a house with a nice back yard for the last 5 years. I have a nice patio and smoking area with lights at night. The only problem was I was living there with the now ex and now paying full rent is cutting into my fun money.

This leads me to my problem, I am signing a lease for an apartment that is near work today. The place is nice and has a pool but HAS NO AREA TO BBQ. What have I got myself into. The good news is that I am close to my best friend in Bel Air and my parents house to cook on weekends.

Going over my options for daily grilling and I am thinking an electric grill like I had in college. Not sure about indoor/outdoor options but money is less a concern as size and function need to be good.

Normally I am the one giving advice but this electric stuff is foreign. What do you guys do in apartment and town home settings? I guess I need to figure out what options I have at this point. I do have a bass pro gift card if they sell a nice electric grill. BTW don't worry about smoking, I don't usually do that during the week anyways.

Thanks!

Bludawg
03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
I'd rent another girlfriend and stay put. or move some where that you can enjoy your hobby life it to short to live on other peoples terms

insaneh
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Fun money or Q? Only you can decide. I'm with bludawg, get a roommate.

capnkrusty
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
I used a Weber Baby Q when I was living in a Apt with a small balcony.

AlwaysSmokey
03-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Electric,.... like G. Forman ...??? you poor soul.

I gotta go with the boys on this one,.. there has to be another way !!!!

Here's some electrics.:puke:
https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+grill&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivnsp&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=lWwjU_X1NaS42QXF6oDQDA&ved=0CIkBELMY

RAIDERKEVINBBQ
03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Bradley smoker light weight and electric
And you can use ase as smoker!!

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I'd rent another girlfriend and stay put. or move some where that you can enjoy your hobby life it to short to live on other peoples terms
Its more complicated than that, the house is far from work and far from my friends who I BBQ with. If I keep the house I have a far drive to work and an hour from my closest friend. Im cutting 35 mins from the drive and maybe be able to bbq more on the weekends. I am just looking for a grill during the week for chicken or burgers.

I will still smoke on the weekend but not at home.

Bludawg
03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Get you Dare I say it ah ahh Pellet Pooper

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Electric,.... like G. Forman ...??? you poor soul.

I gotta go with the boys on this one,.. there has to be another way !!!!

Here's some electrics.:puke:
https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+grill&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivnsp&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=lWwjU_X1NaS42QXF6oDQDA&ved=0CIkBELMY
Same as grilling with no gas right :doh:

Sevengoals
03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
What about a raclette?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/electric-raclette-maker/

AlwaysSmokey
03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Perhaps a OTS or somthing along the direct grill train of thought that is light enough to move wherever you need to not get in trouble with the land lords. Thats what I did long ago in the apt. days.:pray:
even a cheepy from wally world ............cringe:tape:

cmwr
03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
I am not sure if I was lucky or not but when my first wife left me, she left me with the house. I remember my bachelor days before I ever got married and you couldn't grill on the deck of my apt. How bout getting a grill or smoker and locating a lake where you can take it to and cook? You have a pickup? I am in Iowa and everyone has at least one truck lol.

Happy Hapgood
03-14-2014, 04:43 PM
If you have already signed a a lease, one of the electric vertical box smokers may be your best bet. Take the manager of the complex some good ribs and who knows, you may get a special exception. If it get's to that point you can offer to take out extra renters insurance.

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
I am not sure if I was lucky or not but when my first wife left me, she left me with the house. I remember my bachelor days before I ever got married and you couldn't grill on the deck of my apt. How bout getting a grill or smoker and locating a lake where you can take it to and cook? You have a pickup? I am in Iowa and everyone has at least one truck lol.
Im more concerned with grilling during the week, I will still have more than my fair share of smoking on the weekends. I dont have a truck but my WSM packs nicely in my coupe.

DUBBAGA
03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Congratulations (sort of, I guess, maybe) on the new living situation.

You haven't specified what size area you will have to grill outside. If it is like one of the typical SoCal apartments, you likely have a 4x6 space (or thereabouts), just enough for 2 chairs and a bicycle. Since you aren't concerned with smoking, why not channel your inner Phubar and get a WGA?

If you have NO outdoor space to grill, and it needs to be done indoors, then look no further than Amazon.com: Microwave BBQ Chicken Roaster with New Cookbooklet: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qr7zWjQ8L.@@AMEPARAM@@51qr7zWjQ8L

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Congratulations (sort of, I guess, maybe) on the new living situation.

You haven't specified what size area you will have to grill outside. If it is like one of the typical SoCal apartments, you likely have a 4x6 space (or thereabouts), just enough for 2 chairs and a bicycle. Since you aren't concerned with smoking, why not channel your inner Phubar and get a WGA?

If you have NO outdoor space to grill, and it needs to be done indoors, then look no further than Amazon.com: Microwave BBQ Chicken Roaster with New Cookbooklet: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Microwave-BBQ-Chicken-Roaster-Cookbooklet/dp/B008SEK1LS)
There is no patio (second floor) but there is a pool area I am hoping to carry the grill to where I can use it and bring it back in when I am done. I have even seen some electric indoor grills that I can use indoors.

It will be temporary, I had to leave my dog with my parents as well so I am having to give up some.

bbqbull
03-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Normally the Fire Dept has jurisdiction on fire codes or laws. Apt. managers have no say. When I split and stayed in a dang blasted apt building for a year we had wood decks. No open flames permitted. Gas grill only with a 2# cylinder.
I bought a Cookshack 008. Worked like a charm in with our bad winters here.
Now I live in the country and can pretty much do what I wish.

plakers
03-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Don't let the purists ruin it for you. My last apartment, okay almost 18 yrs ago, had small deck but grills of any kind not allowed.

Nothing wrong with George, whatever size you need. Does pork and burgers just fine. Doesn't really make a nice steak as I remember. Wife uses a big family size one when the weather is real crappy, did it more when the kids were much younger and she didn't want to go outside.

And my smoked pulled pork is a very tasty treat but my mom made it in a crock pot with a bottle of Kraft, maybe even some liquid smoke. Still better than those tubs of BBQ meats they sell in the grocery store. Nothing like walking in the door to the smell of dinner having simmered for the last 8 hours(that's how my mom made chili too).

What I liked best was minimal cleanup and my sides are a ton less elaborate if its just for me.

Sammy_Shuford
03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Amazon.com: Ronco ST5000PLGEN Showtime Rotisserie Platinum Edition: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G1YPGVQ1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41G1YPGVQ1L

Offthehook
03-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Amazon.com: Ronco ST5000PLGEN Showtime Rotisserie Platinum Edition: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/ST5000PLGEN-Showtime-Rotisserie-Platinum-Edition/dp/B00004RFQL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394844389&sr=8-1&keywords=ron+popeil+rotisserie)

That's cold :-(

No other electric grill users?

mikemci
03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
What about a hibachi on the stove top with the vent hood on and a window cracked?? Might work. Maybe a co detector just to be safe, but the open window should solve that.

RevZiLLa
03-15-2014, 01:03 AM
You may need to use the broiler in your oven for steaks. At least you have places to do your smoking on the weekends

Rusty Kettle
03-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Weber Q comes in electric version try that. I am lucky I never lived in an apartment I bought a house when I got married to my wife when we were done with school and I stayed with my parents when I went to school.

DUBBAGA
03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Personally I haven't been a fan of George, as it seems to steam the meat as opposed to grilling it. Don't hate on the showtime, it produces some really good food!!!

+1 for RevZiLLa on using the broiler. Possibly combine that with starting the cook in a blazing hot cast iron grill pan, and then finishing under the broiler?

Brian in Maine
03-15-2014, 08:47 AM
I moved into an apartment last June, and have still not solved this problem. I tried an electric grill on the balcony, and took it back after one steak. It's been a long winter, and getting near time for me to visit one of my WSMs and make some ribs.

rookiedad
03-15-2014, 09:04 AM
i've solved your problem! get one of these and take your grilling on the road!!!
Amazon.com: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DD5S9G0VL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DD5S9G0VL
maybe you have some nice beaches and parks where you live that you can get to!

Offthehook
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
i've solved your problem! get one of these and take your grilling on the road!!!
Amazon.com: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1394892105&sr=1-1&keywords=weber+go+anywhere+grill)
maybe you have some nice beaches and parks where you live that you can get to!

The road isn't the problem, it's the daily 1 or 2 person grilling meals I do during the week.

DUBBAGA
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
This unit is similar to one that I had when I first moved out on my own. The reviews are good, and I liked that the food was raised above the heating element. Mine was difficult to clean, but the reviews for this one indicate that it might not be too tedious

Amazon.com: Livart LV-982 Electric Barbecue Grill, Orange: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XYWAfGmZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51XYWAfGmZL

bbqgeekess
03-16-2014, 11:09 AM
I feel for you, I just got my first home a few months back.. my last apartment had no place to BBQ except for behind the tail of my car--it sucked. Always worried someone might run off with it (my Mini WSM).

hedge
03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Infrared would be a good option.

Bludawg
03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
The road isn't the problem, it's the daily 1 or 2 person grilling meals I do during the week.
I recommend a Vacuum sealer I cook for 1 or 2 so a Packer or a Butt lasts awhile.

Offthehook
03-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I purchased this grill from amazon this morning because of the good reviews of high heat. When it gets here ill do a full report.

Amazon.com: Char-Broil TRU Infrared Electric Patio Bistro 180 Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Vc1By33BL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Vc1By33BL

Happy Hapgood
03-17-2014, 08:20 PM
If that rig is anything like my Char-Broil oil less turkey fryer, it make Great food. It's the olny way I'll do birds but it will do alot more. Infrared = Good.

Offthehook
03-18-2014, 09:54 AM
If that rig is anything like my Char-Broil oil less turkey fryer, it make Great food. It's the olny way I'll do birds but it will do alot more. Infrared = Good.
Thats good that you like it, Ive had great luck with my Char-broil infrared gas grill even though its different technology.

Most of the time I cook steaks in a cast iron pan with butter anyways. I cook a lot of chicken so I think this will be the key.

Teleking
03-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I recommend a Vacuum sealer I cook for 1 or 2 so a Packer or a Butt lasts awhile.

Yep. Just cook more on the weekends and eat leftovers during the week.