PDA

View Full Version : smoking a corned beef

smoke ninja
03-10-2014, 09:01 AM
I've read a few a few threads about it and corned beef is on sale for st pattys day so I'm gonna do it. I'll call it pastrami, close enough for me.

Soak the meat in water for a day, rub with pepper and corriander, smoke til done.

Sound about right?

c farmer
03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Pretty much. Some people steam, I don't. I wrap in foil at 150 IT with beef broth till probe tender.

Fwismoker
03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
I just smoke nekkid and let it go til probe tender and could go to (195+ IT) (not all smokers can get away with this)....all of mine tend to keep meats moist. This last corned beef after slicing i did steam the slices which really tenderized them. I bought a cheap steamer and it works great for veggies...and now i know for corned beef as well.

NivekD
03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Pretty much how I do it. Change the soaking water two or three times during the soak. I take mine to about 195º, wrap in foil then in the fridge. Slice it up the next day when it's cold. MMMM, Pastrami!

I eat it cold or sometimes wrap in a wet paper towel and nuke for 30 seconds or so to warm it.

smoke ninja
03-10-2014, 10:06 AM
I just smoke nekkid and let it go til probe tender and could go to (195+ IT) (not all smokers can get away with this)....all of mine tend to keep meats moist. This last corned beef after slicing i did steam the slices which really tenderized them. I bought a cheap steamer and it works great for veggies...and now i know for corned beef as well.

Lately I've been letting all meat ride in the smoker.

So you let it cool, slice, steam when serving?

Fwismoker
03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Lately I've been letting all meat ride in the smoker.

So you let it cool, slice, steam when serving? Yep it slices better after cooling and just steam for a reheat and more tenderizing.

smoke ninja
03-10-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm soaking it in fresh water now. 24 hrs with 2 changes sound good?

mcyork28
03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Is coriander and pepper a standard rub for pastrami? I have one in the fridge and was going to do the same thing.

landarc
03-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I do 48 hours, mine has been soaking since Sunday, I will pull tomorrow morning and rub with a black pepper heavy, no salt rub, in the chill chest until Weds morning.

smoke ninja
03-10-2014, 12:14 PM
No salt? Still plenty in the meat?

No rush, I can soak an extra day. This is my first go at this and it will probably end in me curing my own.

Ninja pack lunch often while on mission. Last year I started making my own sliced turkey, roast beef, ect. This is the next logical step.

legendaryhog
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Is coriander and pepper a standard rub for pastrami? I have one in the fridge and was going to do the same thing.

Yes, yes it is. Yum. Cure your own in the future. So, so, so, much better than the store-bought corn beef. Super easy and you don't have to pay for the 25% brine weight from the pre-brined corn beefs. Also, you control the salt content, so if you aren't into the super-salty (as the store ones tend to be) you can back the salt off in your own brine.

smoke ninja
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
It's been soaking for a day now, I've change the water several times. It's pretty clear now. It was low sodium to start and may not be able to wait. Must.... have...... patience.....

vern cash
03-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Interesting,am going to try this!

Meat Burner
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Go to the members page and click on Thirdeye. He has a website full of outstanding recipes and pastrami is one that is excellent. It takes a few days but is the real deal. Good luck.

Big George's BBQ
03-11-2014, 03:34 PM
+ 1 on thirdeye His blog is an excellent resource I have made awesome pastrami from it He gives you a couple of ways to finish it with great pics too

MS2SB
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
I've cured my own twice now. The soak out is key! The first pastrami I made tasted like a salt lick. One other piece of advice I would give that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Once the soak out is complete, pat it good and dry and let it sit in the fridge uncovered overnight. This will help to equalize the brine as well as provide a nice little pellicle for smoking.

Flyin Pig
03-11-2014, 04:02 PM
+1 on what everyone is saying. Reviewed Thirdeye's info and did my first one last week. Excellent results - bought another corned beef brisket yesterday since it was on sale and will be doing this again soon.

smoke ninja
03-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks, read thirdeye s blog good stuff, bookmarked it.

Gonna do this tomorrow. It should come out good if I cook it like a brisket? Just minus the salt? Steam the slices to reheat?

bbqgeekess
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I've read a few a few threads about it and corned beef is on sale for st pattys day so I'm gonna do it. I'll call it pastrami, close enough for me.

Soak the meat in water for a day, rub with pepper and corriander, smoke til done.

Sound about right?

Soak then slice and fry and test salt. Soak more if needed. If not salty enough add salt in the rub. I like to use 3 parts coriander seed, 2 parts black pepper corns, and 1 part garlic powder.

bbqgeekess
03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
yes, i like more coriander seed than pepper

landarc
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
I do no salt in rub largely due to my having cut back years ago. When I eat out, that is a different story, but, most of my home cooking is lower in sodium, so the corned beef is plenty salty without adding more.

Here is my corned beef, resting in it's rub, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, with a small cutting board and a 1/2 pound of water on top.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/crnbfprss_zps3c43adeb.jpg
This lightly presses the corned beef point I bought. More closely mimics what a pastrami is meant to be, which is pressed cured meat. Tomorrow, at some point, I will smoke this.

smoke ninja
03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I do no salt in rub largely due to my having cut back years ago. When I eat out, that is a different story, but, most of my home cooking is lower in sodium, so the corned beef is plenty salty without adding more.

Here is my corned beef, resting in it's rub, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, with a small cutting board and a 1/2 pound of water on top.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/crnbfprss_zps3c43adeb.jpg
This lightly presses the corned beef point I bought. More closely mimics what a pastrami is meant to be, which is pressed cured meat. Tomorrow, at some point, I will smoke this.

Pressed? How long? What's that have to do with it?

I didn't start this with a plan and will take it where it goes.

landarc
03-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Pressing just overnight. To a large degree, it has nothing to do with it. But, one of the theoretical origins of pastrami was that it was made by curing, and then dry pressing by rolling the meat, and this left the meat with a more consistent texture and shape. Easier and safer to wind dry.

smoke ninja
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
^^^^Wind dry? Your making it worse.

Should I prep and cook the way I would do a brisket less the salt?

I need to read a book on the history of cured meat

landarc
03-11-2014, 11:24 PM
I use the magic wind I find in the refrigerator.

I find it keeps the meat cold, and allows it to dry up just fine. You could hang it from your tent pole, when you are herding sheep in the Hungarian mountains, but, that is a lot of trouble and cost

SmittyJonz
03-11-2014, 11:33 PM
What if you just want Corn Beef? :shock:

landarc
03-11-2014, 11:42 PM
What if you just want Corn Beef? :shock:
I used to ask why the 'Half & Half' sandwich when I went to the various Jewish delis out here. The guys would always look at me like I was nuts, then say pastrami is smoked, corned beef is boiled, they taste different. In their minds, you can't have smoked corned beef.

SmittyJonz
03-11-2014, 11:50 PM
I think Im going with Corned Beef n Cabbage n Taters- havnt had it in YEARS.....my Mom used to make it Purty Darn Good.

smoke ninja
03-11-2014, 11:59 PM
I hate to ask a dumb question.

Why do I have to soak the salt out of pastrami, but not corned beef?

landarc
03-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Because corned beef is best super salty.

Or because you are boiling it, so the salt comes out and seasons the veggies in the water

smoke ninja
03-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Ohhh I thought it was the magic wind that took care of that.

SmittyJonz
03-12-2014, 12:07 AM
What Is Corned Beef Brisket - GrateTV - YouTube

smoke ninja
03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Sliced up my pastrami this morning. Taste pretty good. I haven't had a lot of pastrami so I have little frame of reference but I like it and that's enough for me. I've seen it at the deli for up to $10 lbs, I paid $2/lbs for the raw corned beef so even after cooking loss and fuel cost I'm still way ahead.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20140312_200855_zps0tffollt.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20140312_200855_zps0tffollt.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20140313_085310_zpsq5rfkyfl.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20140313_085310_zpsq5rfkyfl.jpg.html)

Thanks to all for the help. Now people will think I know how to make pastrami, even though I'm just winging it. That's the lesson to be learned. Just try it, we'll help get you through it if we can.

NivekD
03-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Looks like you nailed it...mine will be on the smoker in a few.:thumb:

Garyclaw
03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Looks great, ninja!! How long was it in the smoke?

smoke ninja
03-13-2014, 01:25 PM
I smoked the 4+lbs flat in the wsm for about 8 hrs @ 300. I started at 250 for the first hour and dropped the temp after the stall. I haven't wrapped brisket in over 3 months.

Big George's BBQ
03-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Very nice You will be hooked For the final piece I put mine in a pan on a aluminum foil ring to raise it. Then pour in beer Cover it tightly with foil and put it back on the grill This gives it a wet texture I dont have a pressure cooker so I cant do what thirdeye does