PDA

View Full Version : Need new briquettes recommend a brand

Rusty Kettle
03-09-2014, 11:48 AM
I use Kingsford blue bag but the ash is choking my fires in colder weather in the summer no issue but I want a good consistent briquette for winter that has lower ash problems as it is becoming a problem. So any recommendations? Briquettes only no interest in lump for my kettles.

padge31
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Give Stubbs a try. It doesn't produce a lot of ash.

BB-Kuhn
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
What about the kingsford competition briquettes? They're supposed to ash less, have a hotter burn, etc. basically it's made to act a bit more like lump but with briquette consistency.

bookie
03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Stubbs :thumb:

Sjpatg
03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Stubbs , that is all

Shinka
03-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Been using Royal Oak commercial size briqs for several years. They are about 1.5 the size of ordinary briqs but work fine in larger units.

Mo-Dave
03-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Switch to lump. Pros: Hotter fire, lot less ash, better taste. Cons: Does not last as long.
Dave

USMC
03-09-2014, 12:18 PM
I've had good luck with Stubb's. I only use Kingsford when nothing else is available. I wasn't interested in lump either for the longest time, then I was tired having issues with choking. I switched to lump completely and didn't get long enough burn times. I now use a mixture of lump and briquettes and solved both issues, works great and haven't looked back.

Mo-Dave
03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Thats the ticket. ^^^^^
Dave

ssv3
03-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Stubbs FTW.

Rusty Kettle
03-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I've had good luck with Stubb's. I only use Kingsford when nothing else is available. I wasn't interested in lump either for the longest time, then I was tired having issues with choking. I switched to lump completely and didn't get long enough burn times. I now use a mixture of lump and briquettes and solved both issues, works great and haven't looked back.

I was wondering if a mix would be good I might give that a try

ajstrider
03-09-2014, 01:07 PM
I started out using KBB like most everyone else. It is readily available and cost effective. I am one of those people who can "taste the KBB" unfortunately. Stubb's claims to be all natural and is readily available here at a fairly low price, so I use it when briquettes are to be used. I would love to try Royal Oak briquettes but they don't ever seem to pop up locally. Kingsford Competition is suppose to be good but I can't find it locally and I would HATE to pay that much for charcoal every time I wanted to cook. Mostly I have moved on to lump, which I prefer Royal Oak lump. I get plenty of cook time on my 22.5" WSM with a ring full of lump for long cooks. And of course my BGE only gets fed lump. I thought Stubb's produced a lower ash than KBB, and then I tried lump which produces so little ash that Stubb's seems like a lot now.

In the end, my first recommendation would be Stubb's for your question but you should really try some Royal Oak lump. Stubb's can be bought at Lowes here and Royal Oak lump at Wal Mart.

El Ropo
03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Look for store brand "ridge" charcoal. It will be basically the same as royal oak briqs. I've been using several different store brands of this stuff and am happy with it. Performance wise, it's about the same as kingsford, but with no kingsford "off" flavors. Ash production is similar, but I've never compared the two.

Just a tip on ash buildup. If you have clearance under your fire grate, just knock the ash off and it will drop down, allowing air to reach the remaining coals. My routine when doing a longish cook on my kettle is to knock on the side of the kettle a few times to make the ash drop, then use the sweeper a couple times to ensure the intakes are clear. I've done dozens of 6 hour plus cooks on my OTS, and never had a reason to change my brand of briqs when using the store branded RO ridge briqs. Plus they are about half the cost of KFB or RO briqs.

plakers
03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I've been using both WallyWorld, made in USA Chefs Choice, but I think the ash is about the same. Bigger briquettes, though, and no off tastes. Way cheaper per pound, too. I've always meant to document my price per cook because I think they burn faster but are still cheaper overall.

Lots of people like Stubbs but it burns hotter than KBB and food comes out darker, more off tastes, not smokey but charred, too much coal taste even though its supposed to be all natural.

Guess you gotta ask but try them all, one bag at a time and find one to your liking.

Ive tried the Kingsford comp brand and like them but don't really see much difference except price.

Rusty Kettle
03-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Look for store brand "ridge" charcoal. It will be basically the same as royal oak briqs. I've been using several different store brands of this stuff and am happy with it. Performance wise, it's about the same as kingsford, but with no kingsford "off" flavors. Ash production is similar, but I've never compared the two.

Just a tip on ash buildup. If you have clearance under your fire grate, just knock the ash off and it will drop down, allowing air to reach the remaining coals. My routine when doing a longish cook on my kettle is to knock on the side of the kettle a few times to make the ash drop, then use the sweeper a couple times to ensure the intakes are clear. I've done dozens of 6 hour plus cooks on my OTS, and never had a reason to change my brand of briqs when using the store branded RO ridge briqs. Plus they are about half the cost of KFB or RO briqs. normally knocking the ash works now I think it may be I hit a second stall it's driving me crazy lol

Firefighter
03-09-2014, 05:25 PM
I've been using Stubbs my last few cooks and I really like it. Steady temp and fairly low ash. I bought it at Wal mart for like $7.96 for a 15lb bag.

DjPorkchop
03-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Give Stubbs a try. It doesn't produce a lot of ash.

I agree. I used Stubbs a few days ago and the ash was minimal at best. It burned for a good while and as hot as I needed it to.

mikemci
03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Mixture of Stubbs briquette/RO lump works best in my UDS.

stonebelly
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Im glad i found this thread. i have been wondering the best briquets cause my new smoker just doesn't work well with lump

shagnasty
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I use stubbs or royal oak. Both do well.

Okie Sawbones
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I'll +20 the Stubbs. I bought some on sale just to try, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.

dano
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
If you really want briqs. you can't go wrong with Humphrey's. All natural with no junk in them....burn really clean.

smoke ninja
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
If kbb works for you most of the time (it does for me) add a some lump to reduce ash. I still have to to my own test with Stubbs and RO vs Kingsford to see if there is significantly less ash.

Don't worry summer is almost here.

BruceB
03-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Stubbs or Royal Oak Chef's Select from Do It Best hardware stores.

Red Valley BBQ
04-06-2014, 10:54 PM
If you are dead set on briquettes, Humphrey's. But you should at least try lump, it's all I use in my smokers. I've been very happy with the burn time and temp.

Oldhoss
04-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Up here in Canada I can get Nature's Grilling briquettes at WalMart and Canadian Tire. Better taste, lower ash, same burn time and heat as Kingsford Blue. Tried the Competition stuff but found it very smokey when igniting so I would never use it in a cooker unlit...be afraid of contaminating the food I would.

ButtBurner
04-07-2014, 06:14 AM
another good briq I have not seen metioned is Trader Joes

made by rancher

BBQR
04-07-2014, 09:01 AM
http://miva.mainehost.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=wicked&Category_Code=bl

gtr
04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
another good briq I have not seen metioned is Trader Joes

made by rancher

Great stuff - my go-to briq.

Doug S.
04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
royal oak chef's select from do it best hardware stores.

x2 ^^^^^^