PDA

View Full Version : Pork butt finished unwrapped.

scott3705
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM
I saw a video where common interest bbq said something about pulling meat out of foil and finishing unwrapped to reset the bark. Anyone do anything like this? If so what temp are you taking from the foil?

saseekutz
03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I just tried something like this with a brisket last weekend. I took my meat out at 180°, wrapped at 165. The bark came out much better compared to when I foil to finish. With a bit more experimenting it could be a way I wrap more often

scott3705
03-09-2014, 07:31 AM
I just tried something like this with a brisket last weekend. I took my meat out at 180°, wrapped at 165. The bark came out much better compared to when I foil to finish. With a bit more experimenting it could be a way I wrap more often

I was thinking of trying somewhere between 180-185 or just after I know I'm through the stall. Got too lazy to try it yesterday. Also saw a suggestion to put I back on after the rest period. Not sure about that though.

JazzyBadger
03-09-2014, 07:44 AM
I used to do that back in my foiling days, but I've been wrapping with butcher paper for about the past... year and a half, two years maybe. Bark doesn't get to the mushy level that foil did, so I don't even worry about it these days.

meinbmw
03-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I wrapped a butt in BP yesterday ... actually two layers. The outer layer of BP got very dry almost to the point of crumbling. Any change of catching fire? I was at 275 degrees.

The inner layer was nice and pliable as it was soaking up the juices.

I used to do that back in my foiling days, but I've been wrapping with butcher paper for about the past... year and a half, two years maybe. Bark doesn't get to the mushy level that foil did, so I don't even worry about it these days.

JazzyBadger
03-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I wrapped a butt in BP yesterday ... actually two layers. The outer layer of BP got very dry almost to the point of crumbling. Any change of catching fire? I was at 275 degrees.

The inner layer was nice and pliable as it was soaking up the juices.

Never had butcher paper catch on fire for me, but I don't typically do two layers either. What I'll do is pulled out two sheets and then wrap one end of the sheet to the other by folding them. Just make a 90º crease which opposes each other, and then I connect the seams. That allows me to have one single layer wrapped across the brisket/butt.
I don't like doubling up on the paper because I want smoke to penetrate through as best it can.

smoke ninja
03-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Have ya'll ever noticed a drop in IT after you unwrapped and returned to pit? I noticed something I like this back when I tried this.

JazzyBadger
03-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Have ya'll ever noticed a drop in IT after you unwrapped and returned to pit? I noticed something I like this back when I tried this.

I haven't, but I don't have temp probes, or go by temp whatsoever really.
I imagine if you're foiling and unwrapping it'd make sense that the temp would drop because the steam that's trapped with the meat is allowed to escape.

lissaannjon
03-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Ive only had my uds built a short time but it seems like everytime i pull my probe to wrap and then reinsert it mine jumps 10 degrees. I cant figure out why but I know there is no way its rising that much in the 5 minutes its off the uds getting wrapped.:confused::confused: