PDA

View Full Version : Smoking with Laurel Wood? Anybody?

CharredApron
03-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Starting Monday I have a landscape crew cutting a whole bunch of trees around my house. One of the most common trees are Laurel (Bay Leaf) Trees, Does anyone know if the wood is good for smoking? The leaves are used in cooking so I assume that they are safe. Just wondering what the wood is like to smoke meats with! Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Wolverine
03-08-2014, 03:51 AM
hmm hard to say,try it on pom fritzs first ,,

Maskirovka
03-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Seems to me it might have an astringent flavor.

Swine Spectator
03-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I don't see any reason not to try it.

(and feel free to send me a bag of bay leaves!)

David
The Swine Spectator

fingerlickin'
03-08-2014, 09:19 AM
As long as it's not mountain laurel.

bluetang
03-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Yeah Jed, it is a good wood to smoke with. I have some in the barn that my cuz liberated from some folks that were just gonna burn it as fire wood. They came from some felled trees on Sewall's Point. Seems there is a bunch over there. Actually has a place there called Bay Tree Lodge. I especially like it for fish.

CharredApron
03-08-2014, 10:44 AM
As long as it's not mountain laurel.
Thanks Jason, It is not mountain Laurel. I did some more research today on wikipedia and i appears that it does indeed make a good smoking wood but it is strong and should be mixed in with lighter types of wood.

CharredApron
03-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah Jed, it is a good wood to smoke with. I have some in the barn that my cuz liberated from some folks that were just gonna burn it as fire wood. They came from some felled trees on Sewall's Point. Seems there is a bunch over there. Actually has a place there called Bay Tree Lodge. I especially like it for fish.
Nice to hear, I have a bunch for sure!