PDA

View Full Version : Is Brown Kraft Paper OK For Brisket?

104timberwolf
03-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Found a small roll of butcher paper @ Hobby Lobby but its coated on one side. Really don't have a need for a huge roll of Sam's butcher paper but don't want to screw up the investment of $$$ and time.

Thanks!

Bludawg
03-07-2014, 11:29 AM
You don't want a coated paper.

104timberwolf
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
You don't want a coated paper.

Bludawg,

Is plain brown kraft paper ok?

smokainmuskoka
03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
In a pinch.

landarc
03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
If it was me, I would smell it. Personally, I don't like the brown paper, it smells bad to me, worse once it gets wet.

utahusker
03-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Found a small roll of butcher paper @ Hobby Lobby but its coated on one side. Really don't have a need for a huge roll of Sam's butcher paper but don't want to screw up the investment of $$$ and time.

Thanks!
Like BD stated, you don't want coated.

I don't have a Sam's in my town, so I asked a friend to buy me a roll in Vegas if he was going past Sams. He texted me that he bought a couple for me. I didn't read it until later that day and about shyte myself. I told him I appreciated him getting it for me, and if he was close by Sam's again he could return one.

He let me know he was joking...funny guy:becky:

Bludawg
03-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Bludawg,

Is plain brown kraft paper ok?I don't see why not I have use Brn paper grocery sack in a pinch that I cut open to make a sheet, but I aint all that Anal about food safe FDA Bull crap either however my hair has turned green and my teeth fell out so....

ButtBurner
03-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't see why not I have use Brn paper grocery sack in a pinch that I cut open to make a sheet, but I aint all that Anal about food safe FDA Bull crap either however my hair has turned green and my teeth fell out so....

no but your ears are getting quite long

you are starting to look like my Blue Tick

;)

Allnight03
03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Kraft is fine if not coated. Most coatings are wax or poly and occasionally aqueous. While okay to store food in these coatings, I wouldn't experiement with cooking.

Brown paper that smalls funky when wet probably came from a recycle mill and is made of post consumer waste (the old corrugated containers you see bundled together behind wal mart). These are mostly FDA approved, but it's a different FDA rating than that given to virgin fiber. The furnish at some recycle mills is pretty suspect and I would't use it. If you see a lot of black and white specks in the sheet, it is probably recycled board.

Smokesignalsfromtx
03-07-2014, 12:39 PM
I purchased brown (food grade) craft paper from amazon.

104timberwolf
03-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't see why not I have use Brn paper grocery sack in a pinch that I cut open to make a sheet, but I aint all that Anal about food safe FDA Bull crap either however my hair has turned green and my teeth fell out so....

I tore a piece off the roll and chewed on it a while. No unpleasant taste or odor. Going to taste even better soaked in brisket fat!