PDA

View Full Version : Time to pull the Trigger

jpalaska
02-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Spring is in the air in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've done the research, read everything on Meathead's website, and have asked you Brethren enough newbie questions on basic cookers.
I'm going to order a Weber Genesis EP-330 and a 18.5 WSM. I think that will give me a good start for grillin and basic smokin.
I've already acquired a thermapen, Maverick ET-733, the 7 pack of SM rubs, grill brush, tongs, and a hearty appetite.

Sheesh now I need some cookers! I'm hoping to get a good deal on both cookers, propane tanks, covers, and a chimney starter for the WSM. My local Ace HW manager has already agreed to give me free assembly and delivery on the Genesis.

If you think I'm jumping off the cliff with the lemmings, let me know. I'll be in freefall in a day or two.

thanks,
JP

sushi_tampa
02-26-2014, 05:46 PM
I've got 2 18.5 wsm's and love them. That should get you going just fine smoking some briskets and ribs.

dwfisk
02-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Jump! Sounds like goo choices to me.

bwram1
02-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Wanna know what a WSM 18.5 will do?

Make you want a WSM 22.5!!! Trust me!!! :-P

Offthehook
02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a good start to me.

jpalaska
02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks bwram1, I researched what Meathead and some others have said about the 22.5 and 18.5. I don't need to smoke for large #s of people. He said it's easier to maintain a lower temp (225-250) on the 18.5. It can burn charcoal longer and consume less fuel. Am I wrong to believe that?
Thanks, I do appreciate your input.

JP

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Spring is in the air in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've done the research, read everything on Meathead's website, and have asked you Brethren enough newbie questions on basic cookers.
I'm going to order a Weber Genesis EP-330 and a 18.5 WSM. I think that will give me a good start for grillin and basic smokin.
I've already acquired a thermapen, Maverick ET-733, the 7 pack of SM rubs, grill brush, tongs, and a hearty appetite.

Sheesh now I need some cookers! I'm hoping to get a good deal on both cookers, propane tanks, covers, and a chimney starter for the WSM. My local Ace HW manager has already agreed to give me free assembly and delivery on the Genesis.

If you think I'm jumping off the cliff with the lemmings, let me know. I'll be in freefall in a day or two.

thanks,
JP

Good choices! :)

jpalaska
02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Let me ask you this: can I cook a 15-18 lb turkey in a 18.5?
Not a deal breaker, just want to know if that's feasible.

thanks,
JP

TailGateJoecom
02-26-2014, 06:29 PM

thanks,
JP

As long as you aren't constrained by money, I'd grab the 22 instead. You may not need all that room, and it may use a little more charcoal, but it is just easier to have the room even for smaller cooks. No need to have to use rib racks etc. And once you get yourself a foodsaver and realize it takes just as long to cook a few butts as it does one and you can freeze the meat for later, you will want the bigger size. It is very rare that someone buys the larger and regrets not getting the smaller one.

sliding_billy
02-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I disagree about the 18.5" benefits. While it might burn slightly longer on the same amount of fuel, I see no real difference in the temp maintenance. Also, many people (myself included) have had very good luck using a smaller charcoal ring in a 22.5" when needing less fuel. As for how much you are going to cook, it isn't just the total amount. It is the ease of putting long meats (briskets and ribs) on a rack without having to mess around with placement. It is also nice to be able to put more meat on the top rack if you want to put a drip pan on the bottom rack.

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 06:48 PM
..I researched what Meathead .. said about the 22.5 and 18.5..He said it's easier to maintain a lower temp (225-250) on the 18.5.

Read the following thread before buying into what Meathead said about the 22.5 and fuse burn :

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180647

jpalaska
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Yikes thanks bbqgeekess. I guess I need to learn something about the fuse method and minion method.:shock:

Ron_L
02-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks bwram1, I researched what Meathead and some others have said about the 22.5 and 18.5. I don't need to smoke for large #s of people. He said it's easier to maintain a lower temp (225-250) on the 18.5. It can burn charcoal longer and consume less fuel. Am I wrong to believe that?
Thanks, I do appreciate your input.

JP

Meathead is a good guy, but just because you have a web site doesn't mean that you know everything :-D He has lots of good info, but also there is a fair amount that is questionable.

Yeah, it takes more fuel to heat up the bigger WSM, but it holds lower temps just fine if that's what you want to do, but, quite a few of us here have switched to cooking hotter anyway. I prefer temps around 250 - 270 for butts, briskets and ribs. Plus, you'll find that every cooker has a temp where it just likes to run. Find that and learn to use it and your life will be much easier..

Let me ask you this: can I cook a 15-18 lb turkey in a 18.5?
Not a deal breaker, just want to know if that's feasible.

thanks,
JP

If you are cooking the bird in the traditional position a 14 lber is about the biggest on an 18.5, but you could do a bigger bird standing up, beer can style on the lower rack.

lantern
02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Yep, like ron said. If you use a vertical bird roaster/stand you can get a 25+ lb bird in the 18.5.

I think with your coming purchases you need to make friends with virtualweberbullet.com . Lots of info there. Not as much TOTAL as here, but it's a real help to new WSM owners.

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Yikes thanks bbqgeekess. I guess I need to learn something about the fuse method and minion method.:shock:

Well minion method is the what airtight vertical charcoal fired smokers use. (UDS, WSM, Mini WSM, etc..) So you'll learn this regardless.

It's the fuse method that I was getting at and Meathead saying it is needed to maintain heat in 22.5" WSM. The snake/fuse burn method --aka ring of fire-- is typically used for weber kettles not WSM. I am saying most here believe that Meathead is not correct in saying the 22.5" needs snake/fuse burn.

jpalaska
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Yep, like ron said. If you use a vertical bird roaster/stand you can get a 25+ lb bird in the 18.5.

I think with your coming purchases you need to make friends with virtualweberbullet.com . Lots of info there. Not as much TOTAL as here, but it's a real help to new WSM owners.

Looks like a terrific site.
Thanks neighbor!
JP

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I cooked a spatchcocked/butterflied 12 pound turkey for thanksgiving in 18.5" UDS with no problems. (Same grate dimensions as 18.5 WSM). Btw, when you do a turkey in the WSM, try it with the water pan pulled out at least once :) It'll give it that pit/grilled fat vapory flavor if you like it.. and will be a more of a direct cook for crispier skin.

Pyle's BBQ
02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Nothing like jumping in the deep end. Hope to see some great pron soon.

grantw
02-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I cant help ya with the gas grill i dont have any, but i have a 14.5, 18.5, 22.5 you can fit alot of food in all of them for what they are, this weekend i did 2 full racks of st,louis cut spares on the top rack and 8 thighs on the bottom rack of the 14.5, i have done 10 racks of baby backs in the 18.5(if you roll the ribs and put a skewer through them you fit alot on any wsm) the 22 i put 2 briskets on the top rack and 2 butts on the bottom. I cant say to buy one more than the other because myself i am very pleased with all 3 its mostly how much food you want to cook