PDA

View Full Version : Burn Ban App for Phone or Puter?

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Every so often there are burn bans in Oklahoma. I am sure there are in other states as well in USA.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a phone app, computer app, web site, dashboard widget etc, where you simply punch in your zip code and it tells you whether or not you can BBQ.

Thanks.

peeps
02-26-2014, 06:05 AM
This was noted on a Denton County burn ban article...

Charcoal or gas patio grills and smokers are allowed provided they have a complete and fully enclosed lid utilized at all times and that the area 5 feet around them is clear of vegetation and combustibles.

SmokinOkie
02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Just visit this page, bookmark it:

http://www.forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-information

TroyA65
02-26-2014, 07:54 AM
This was noted on a Denton County burn ban article...

I agree with Peeps. Whenever we've had burn bans it was for fireworks, bonfires, patio fires, etc..."open" fires. Anything enclosed was ok.

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Well darn, there is a burn ban in Tulsa county as of 2 days ago.

http://i57.tinypic.com/24glf6t.png

"This burn ban shall not apply to gas or electric grilling over non-flammable surfaces"

I wonder if my pellet pooper would be ok since it is electric and has a non-flammable surface. If so, then I found a reason to keep my pellet smoker!

SmokinOkie
02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Well darn, there is a burn ban in Tulsa county as of 2 days ago.

I wonder if my pellet pooper would be ok since it is electric and has a non-flammable surface. If so, then I found a reason to keep my pellet smoker!

When I checked with them previously, they said it was okay because it was "enclosed". Key is as long as you invited the neighbors over if they see any smoke, who'll report you :becky:

wjwheeler
02-26-2014, 06:18 PM
First guns now smokers. Wow.......:shock:

bbqgeekess
02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
..Key is as long as you invited the neighbors over if they see any smoke, who'll report you :becky:

LMAO! They might blackmail me! "Give me BBQ or else!"

okiej
02-26-2014, 07:05 PM
These burn bans are the reason I bought a gas grill a couple years ago. Constant bans it seemed in Payne county. Last year was better and I never used it. I am afraid this year is going to be a lot of bans again. I may have to learn to smoke with a gas grill yet.

Shagdog
02-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Did you check the app store?

chicagokp
02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
What's a puter? If it's burning, you should get that checked. Seriously though, as others have said, you local county issuing any burn bans should have info and recommend to you that you should cook indoors or use propane (and watch it at all times). Smokey the Bear and the Guv'ment ain't happy if you start fires.

buccaneer
02-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Down here they send up smoke signals if there is a fire ban.
Or maybe thats the arsenists....

bbqgeekess
02-27-2014, 10:18 PM
I talked to Oklahoma Forestry today.. they told me to contact the Tulsa Board of Commissioners to work out an exception for my pellet smoker.. it appears they might have overlooked these cookers.. they aren't that common compared to propane and charcoal.

peeps
02-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Just keep your garden hose on with a spray nozzle attached with it in close proximity to your cooking station and use your dang cooker. You can even spray down a 10' perimeter or so with water if it makes you feel better.

They aren't looking for rogue BBQ'ers during burn bans...

bbqgeekess
02-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Puter is a computer.

chicagokp
02-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Just keep your garden hose on with a spray nozzle attached with it in close proximity to your cooking station and use your dang cooker. You can even spray down a 10' perimeter or so with water if it makes you feel better.

They aren't looking for rogue BBQ'ers during burn bans...

Agreed. When I have burned brush piles in the past, wetting everything down does wonders.