PDA

View Full Version : Practice run

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Decided to do a little run for my first kcbs event. Did some chicken and it came out so good that we ate it all before taking any pics. Still have 2 butts on and 2 racks

The_Kapn
06-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Lookin' good Steve.
I really like the color on that top butt right now :lol:

TIM

thunter
06-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Looking mighty mighty tasty! I wish I could give it a taste test too! :)

nmayeux
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks good! Keep taking pics so we can see how things progress!

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Ribs are done butts are still at 180

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Lookin' good Steve.
I really like the color on that top butt right now :lol:

TIM

The top butt has dizzy pig on it the one on the bottom is injected(my first time ever injecting) with my own rub

MilitantSquatter
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Looking good Steve.... I guess the Smokemaster pickup is treating you well..

Sawdustguy
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Looking very good Steve.

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Looking good Steve.... I guess the Smokemaster pickup is treating you well..

Not exactly, i finished the ribs on the wsm. I never had an offset and i dont have any wood so i have been using lump. It sucks! I have to get some lumber over here it needs attention every 45 to 60 min. My WSM on the other hand cooked today for 12 hours straight at 225 with no temp change at all on one load. The smokemaster is nice in that it has a large cooking surface and easily accesible. I gotta get used to it

The ribs came out great. The butt that was injected sucked! It was mushy and tasted like crap. The other one with no injection and dizzy pig rub was good, i would of liked it better with my own rub though. I didnt thinh the dizzy pig had much flavor. I know its probably gonna hurt me in competitions to cook to my taste but i dont care. They dont like it to bad

BrooklynQ
06-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks real good steve, but as a judge - the ribs look very dark.

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
The pics are from my camera phone they are that dark in person but they are dark. Its my sauce. why would that matter in comp?

BrooklynQ
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Apppearence my friend. They could be interupted as burnt. Hard to tell from the picture.

kcquer
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
My camera darkens the appearance of my Q too. Still appearance (feeding the eye) is a HUGE step toward convincing a judge that it's going to taste good before they have that bite.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12937&highlight=perfect

Have a look at the 180 ribs from the '03 Royal.

Sledneck
06-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Apppearence my friend. They could be interupted as burnt. Hard to tell from the picture.

their is not a single spec of black on them, screw the judges what do they know, wait....im a judge.

djmarko
06-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Steve, unless you plan on serving the pictures to the judges I wouldn't worry about it.

Sawdustguy
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
If your smoker is like my Lang you will still have to put a stick or two an hour to keep up the temperatures. It's a labor of love or the price we pay for low and slow.

rbsnwngs
06-05-2006, 06:58 PM
cook for yourself not the judges if you win great if not oh well

The_Kapn
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Whether judging or just recreational eating--I see two different kinds of "black" bark/crust.
Hard to describe, but one is just "cooked" and has a shine and just appears, well, black. No big deal.
The other black looks like charcoal--YUCKY- and does appear to be burnt.
Other than judging-I peel off the YUCKY appearing stuff and give it a try. The "other" type of black coating- I just eat it all, no problem.

While judging, I eat it as presented and score it accordingly.
If it is the YUCKY looking version, it will not earn top scores for presentation.
Taste is taste and I score as it falls there.

Cooking, both for comp and recreational, I try to stay away from black bark/crust. Not always possible, but a fun attempt and gives me a goal.
No big deal to me.

Probably confusing, but not my first time at that :lol:

TIM

MilitantSquatter
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Sled,

Sorry you were not so pleased with the results.. go with the gut and use the flavors you like best. If it's you're own rub even better.

I sent you a PM with a wood source I located in Nassau County but have not used yet as I still have a lot of wood from Prianti Farms in Dix Hills where Phil recommended some of us LIFO's go...

You may get a little extra help by picking up a few firebricks to put in the bottom of the cooking chamber to help retain some heat. I bought some at Jetmore in Wantagh for $20. 4 bricks per box. About 4" x 2" x 9". I then saw them for $17 as the Ace True Value in Bellmore. Same brand.

Sledneck
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
cook for yourself not the judges if you win great if not oh well

Im not going to grill kings to place in the comp, i am going to see if i can out drink you :biggrin: :biggrin:

BrooklynQ
06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Im not going to grill kings to place in the comp, i am going to see if i can out drink you :biggrin: :biggrin:

The children - Think of the Children!

Sledneck
06-05-2006, 09:55 PM
The children - Think of the Children!

Who do you think gets me my drinks!:biggrin:

BrooklynQ
06-05-2006, 10:45 PM
SledNeck - check this out over on the other forum about rib color in comp (http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/messages/501517.html)s.

Not saying I agree, but some more judges thoughts.

rbsnwngs
06-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Good luck trying
i'll have the doctors standing by

djmarko
06-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Sled,

Sorry you were not so pleased with the results.. go with the gut and use the flavors you like best. If it's you're own rub even better.

I sent you a PM with a wood source I located in Nassau County but have not used yet as I still have a lot of wood from Prianti Farms in Dix Hills where Phil recommended some of us LIFO's go...

You may get a little extra help by picking up a few firebricks to put in the bottom of the cooking chamber to help retain some heat. I bought some at Jetmore in Wantagh for $20. 4 bricks per box. About 4" x 2" x 9". I then saw them for $17 as the Ace True Value in Bellmore. Same brand.
Vinny, can you share that source for wood you have in Nassau? I need a place to get some wood.

BrooklynQ
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Vinny, can you share that source for wood you have in Nassau? I need a place to get some wood.

If only this was woodpile!

MilitantSquatter
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey now !!!Yeah BQ... it could have gotten ugly real quick !!!

Rich,

I was at Friendly Farms Market (formerly Fruggies Farm) on Merrick Ave. in East Meadow, just north of the SS Parkway.

Noticed a very large pile of cut wood logs on the land that was never there before.. New owners as part of the agreement of the sale are allowing the former owner to store and sell wood on the property as he has a tree trimming business. $100 for a half cord, $175 for a full cord or they can charge by whatever you want.

The woman owner did not know too much about the wood varieties as she just acts as the seller. I also noticed a second pile in a different location. I am assuming one was seasoned. She gave me the business card of the guy who has the tree trimming business if I had specific questions. I have not called yet to see if he has specific woods or would be available to come by one day before I buy.

I still have a pile of wood from Prianti Farms in Dix Hills that Phil told us about so I've been putting it off. Prianti was very good too but this place is literally a mile from my house which is convenient and may be less for a delivery if I wanted a cord delivered. Not sure what Prianti charges for the same amount.

Good Luck... If you stop in or call them before I do, let me know how it goes