PDA

View Full Version : How to treat sauce at a comp

McEvoy AZ
02-21-2014, 03:17 PM
I had always believed that I needed the sauce to be hot when applying it to my meats at a comp. I think the last comp I let them warm up in a smoker and put them on too early causing some of them to reduce some. I was wondering from anyone who would like to respond, how they heat their sauce up or if you even heat the sauce up. I will say I use 5 different sauces for the 4 meats in a KCBS contest. Maybe you heat some up but others sauces for the different meats are at room temp when you apply.

ckelly
02-21-2014, 03:30 PM
I heat mine up over a coleman camp stove using a mock double boiler setup.
Medium saucepan with about 2 inches of water in the bottom, metal bowl with a lip on top of that, place the sauce inside the metal bowl and whisk away until heated.

Nugetsius
02-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Room temp for all but ribs. Don't ask me why because I don't know? I just do it that way.

McEvoy AZ
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Room temp for all but ribs. Don't ask me why because I don't know? I just do it that way.

That's interesting, because ribs are glazed on the smoker usually or at least in the foil with the left over heat. I could see pulled pork have hot sauce added or any sauce added after meat has been taken from the heat needing to be hot.

midwest_kc
02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
We usually use warmed up sauce on all but ribs, though after they're sauced we put the ribs back on the pit. We warm them up just in a pan on the cooker a little before they're needed. Also, sitting it on the fire box can work too if space is a concern (and it's not insulated).

MikeJ65
02-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I make a redneck steam warmer from a crockpot and plastic cambro container.

Rich Parker
02-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I use a couple of small crockpots. One I just dump sauce in and another filled with water and I put a jar of sauce in it.

Big Mike
02-21-2014, 08:10 PM
I warm mine up in small foil pans in the smoker. I do not get it hot per se, just warm.

Theresa B
02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
I heat sauces for all meats on a Coleman camp stove.

57borntorun
02-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Forgive my intrusion but would`nt the thicken ingredients of the sauce, I-E corn syrup or surfactants play a major role and the time element as to which they are applied with respect to their reduction through heat on the protein.In other words are you referring to a tomato based sauce or otherwise and their level of concentration so it sticks to the protein without burning and yet remaining flavorful.Most corn syrup based sauces can chemically remain stable throughout a multitude of temperature changes but then through evaporation (moisture loss)they clearly become thicker and more gooey.With surfactants it`s less prevalent and takes longer with heat to break down under the same circumstances all things relative.

gettinbasted
02-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Forgive my intrusion but would`nt the thicken ingredients of the sauce, I-E corn syrup or surfactants play a major role and the time element as to which they are applied with respect to their reduction through heat on the protein.In other words are you referring to a tomato based sauce or otherwise and their level of concentration so it sticks to the protein without burning and yet remaining flavorful.Most corn syrup based sauces can chemically remain stable throughout a multitude of temperature changes but then through evaporation (moisture loss)they clearly become thicker and more gooey.With surfactants it`s less prevalent and takes longer with heat to break down under the same circumstances all things relative.

Yep.

BB-Kuhn
02-22-2014, 05:52 AM
My sauce doesn't have anything that will thicken it up, and it has no non perishables so I just pull it out of the cooler as I get on site and let it come up to room/ambient temp as the day goes on in a tub. Ribs and chicken get sauced and back on the pit, for brisket and pork I put a little in a stainless 1/2 qt saucepan and toss it in a smoker for 15 min to warm it up.

wjwheeler
02-22-2014, 08:38 AM
We heat sauce on an induction portable cooktop. We have a generator, if power is an issue.

buttburnersbbq
02-22-2014, 04:04 PM
I heat mine up over a coleman camp stove using a mock double boiler setup.
Medium saucepan with about 2 inches of water in the bottom, metal bowl with a lip on top of that, place the sauce inside the metal bowl and whisk away until heated.

We do the same and works good

Podge
02-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I just heat mine up on the stove.

Jack Daniels
02-22-2014, 09:06 PM
We warm our sauces so we aren't putting cold sauce on the food. It's definitely not boiling or even steaming hot; just very warm.

Gowan
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Ow! Ow! You're hurting my brain, brother.

I'm just a BBQ man, that sounds too much like chemistry class for a dummy like me.

ITBFQ
02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I give mine a gentle warming either sitting on the lid of my UDS, when the weather allows, or very indirect on my kettle.

chickenchoker
02-24-2014, 07:23 AM
we use a propane turkey burner for lighting chimneys, cooking breakfast and coffee and for heating sauces. we heat all sauces

Spydermike72
02-24-2014, 09:08 AM
We use the small foil pans (loaf pans) and cover them with foil and put them in the cooker about an hour or 2 before use to get them to warm up, they are hot but not boiling....

Lake Dogs
02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
coleman camp stoves (plural); 5 burners total. The sauce is very hot when applied.

cpw
02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
If I'm using the Lang, I put the sauces in loaf pans and place them in the warmer box for a couple of hours. With the Superior, I use a little butane burner and warm the sauce up with that. Very hot, but not boiling.