PDA

View Full Version : First annoying BGE trait...

ajstrider
02-16-2014, 09:20 AM
I have had my XL BGE for about a month now, and I realize it is a bad time of the year to be cooking. The dang thing keeps getting frozen shut on me. I have a cover on it and it stays outside. I have to keep using my torch to light it from the bottom to get it to open. While I am on my soapbox, I also dislike the silly two piece exhaust idea, where I have to put the ceramic piece on there to shut it down because the vent doesn't close up well enough. I fixed this by getting the Smokeware stainless steel cap and am very happy with it. It is easy to throttle and blocks the rain out.

But it is putting out some good food and is a miser on charcoal.

mcyork28
02-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I have the SS cap from smokenware for my Saffire kamAdo. It's. a much better design than what originally shipped with the cooker. I have seen people place wine corks in the lid so it won't freeze shut.

16Adams
02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I thought you were going to say it's annoying that "it's Green and not black"

Don Marco
02-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Put some Parchment Paper on the gaskets, that will prevent the grill from freezing shut.

DM

Drake
02-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Haven't had a problem with freezing shut. But it hasn't been cold enough to have to wear a jacket the whole day yet.

And I have always used the cast daisy wheel to shut it down. I have never had a problem with that.