PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 chicken for comp?

buttburnersbbq
02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
We have a comp in May that requires to cook 1/2 chicken for turn in. We are use to KCBS rules and we usually cook thighs for turn in. 1/2 chickens is new to us. I have a few questions.

First is how is cooking the 1/2 chicken as a whole with white and dark meat together? Is there some trick so the white meat dose not over cook and dry out compare to the dark meat?

How do you make up you box? Just one 1/2 chicken in the box?

Rules are confusing as it states that there has to be enough for 6 judges but judges are not to pull meat apart. Well cooking 1/2 chickens , 6 - 1/2 are not going to fit in the box.

Any feed back is well appreciated.

hedge
02-15-2014, 08:04 PM
I would assume you take pieces of white and dark for the box. Ie 6 chunks of breast meat

BigBellyBBQ
02-16-2014, 10:04 AM
just make sure you double read how they want it turned in, make sure you have fresh chicken, NEVER frozen..it will be fine..smoked or grilled or both, take off at 155/165 and slice into serving pieces.

buttburnersbbq
02-16-2014, 10:14 AM
just make sure you double read how they want it turned in, make sure you have fresh chicken, NEVER frozen..it will be fine..smoked or grilled or both, take off at 155/165 and slice into serving pieces.

Thanks for the advice

sknabnoj
02-16-2014, 11:08 AM
No rules on the chicken having to be fully jointed? I did a comp last year that said the turned in half chicken had to be fully jointed, enough for 6 judges. Basically, they said just don't turn in a half cornish hen.

bbq.tom
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I'd try to get more information from the sanctioning organization concerning the rules for the chicken turn in and also try to contact other teams who cook within this sanctioning organization.

You are in NC, is this a NCBA event or SBN?

buttburnersbbq
02-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd try to get more information from the sanctioning organization concerning the rules for the chicken turn in and also try to contact other teams who cook within this sanctioning organization.

You are in NC, is this a NCBA event or SBN?

This comp is sanctioned fro the NC BBQ Association ( new associated just getting established this year) . I am trying to get more info on rules and judging.

bbq.tom
02-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Contact Alex Ranucci for more information. He is one if the founders/BOD for the NCBA.

I'll be at the NCBA "cooking & judging" training coming up on March 15th at Mac's Speed Shop in Charlotte. That would be the BEST place to get information DIRECTLY relating to what NCBA will be looking for at their competitions.

Good luck. Hope to see you there.

JS-TX
02-17-2014, 10:59 AM
As far as cooking a 1/2 chicken I definitely would brine and/or inject both dark and white meat to get some flavor/moisture in there. I would also cook about 325*-375* with the breast facing away from your heat source. As soon as all juices run clear it's done.. temps could vary though, so definitely practice and see what works for you.

Candy Sue
02-18-2014, 10:25 AM
If you turn it in whole, I wouldn't worry about moisture in the breast so much. Losing moisture is more an after cutting thing.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
02-18-2014, 09:00 PM
It needs to be cut for the judges and wouldn't do all the same. Some sliced and some pulled or something like that.

bbq.tom
02-19-2014, 07:52 AM
All these are great suggestions; however, to truly know what NCBA is looking for in the boxes I'd highly suggest going to the NCBA "cooking and judging" training class!