PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Bar-B-Q (Statesville, NC)

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2014, 08:11 PM
My daughter and I went to Carolina Bar-B-Q in Statesville, NC.. About 15-20 miles north from where we live.

http://carolinabar-b-q.com/

This is one of the NC spots listed on True Cue.org http://www.truecue.org/true-cue-nc/ that still cook with wood only heat source.. I've been trying to go to these places on the list as I can.. Several weeks ago, I did a mini-crawl in Lexington too but only got to two of them on that initial trip.

Got to Carolina Bar-B-Q at 6PM.. small place, but very clean and the server was very nice... I saw the brick pit and the woodpile on the side of the restaurant.

I ordered the large barbecue plate and daughter had a sandwich w/ mashed potatoes.

The pork was very dry... had a use quite a bit of the vinegar dip in the squeeze bottle to moisten it up. Tasted Ok but the dryness was noticeable which I was surprised at thinking Saturday evening service would have been bigger than most times.

They also serve various cobblers.. We had peach and it was delicious.

next up : Planning to go to Red Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby, NC.

landarc
02-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Looks like you get a lot of food (I realize how useless that is as a measure of quality, still...) Too bad it was dry.

N8man
02-09-2014, 08:28 PM
so sorry for your loss...

where did you go in Lexington?

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
so sorry for your loss...

where did you go in Lexington?

Thanks.. but just getting in the car w/ my 10 yr old daughter makes it fun.. I never go in with high expectations.

In Lexington, I went to Cook's BBQ and Lexington BBQ #1.... I liked Cook's a lot more.. I was planning on a third one, but I had no room left... My nemisis... sweet tea did me in...

I'll go back to Lexington in a few weeks and try two more and maybe go back to Cook's.

N8man
02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
My cousin Jimmy used to manage Cooks...good choice....

Thanks.. but just getting in the car w/ my 10 yr old daughter makes it fun.. I never go in with high expectations.

In Lexington, I went to Cook's BBQ and Lexington BBQ #1.... I liked Cook's a lot more.. I was planning on a third one, but I had no room left... My nemisis... sweet tea did me in...

I'll go back to Lexington in a few weeks and try two more and maybe go back to Cook's.

bbq.tom
02-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Can't go wrong with the hushpuppy marbles at Cooks!!!

Been a while since I was last at "Carolina Bar-B-Q" in Statesville (2008!), but my review indicated that the Q was dry at that time also. Sounds like a continual problem.

Lake Dogs
02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Looks like fun!

The traditional NC BBQ, and as I understand it, is as shown, the pulled & chopped BBQ is VERY tough to keep anything resembling moist in it. It can quickly turn to what I call "cardboard"; dry and lacking flavor...

Looks like good fries and hushpuppies!!!!

lantern
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
To make that Shelby trip a notch more interesting you should pick up some BBQ from Alston Bridges as well as Red Bridges Lodge. They are similar but definitely different enough to prefer one over the other.

bbq.tom
02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
To make that Shelby trip a notch more interesting you should pick up some BBQ from Alston Bridges as well as Red Bridges Lodge. They are similar but definitely different enough to prefer one over the other.

Definitely agree!

I much prefer "Red Bridges", but Alston isn't too bad either. Different.

gtr
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the report!

mtm29575
03-04-2014, 08:33 PM

I used to live in Shelby, years ago, and the town is divided over the two BBQ joints. I like Alston's better, but just personal preference.