PDA

View Full Version : Help! Keeping temperature on a UDS

russianthony
02-06-2014, 01:14 AM
Hello All,

Well I've been trying to smoke some chuck and bottom round roast for a stew..

I was trying to do something close to this:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180806

Anyways... For about 3-4 hours I'm having trouble maintaining even 225-230!!

I am very new to smoking and especially to a UDS. I've probably only smoked 5 briskets in my life, one pork butt, and some chicken. They have all turned out well says all my friends in family so i thought i might attempt something more complex.

The only problem is I can't figure out why I am not getting enough heat.

I reused some charcoal/wood chunks from the last time, used the minion method to light half a chimney full of regular charcoal, once the paper was done burning and the bottom and the coals were hot and a little smokey i went to transfer, then added this to the middle of some older lump + wood chunks. I let it get a little smokey for 1-2 minutes then i laid it in the bottom of my UDS about 1-2 in off the bottom (at least i thought). After the 3 or 4 hours of trying to get the temperature straight, I noticed that the clay pot feet in the bottom of my UDS had knocked over and the fire basket probably wasn't elevated off the bottom at all. (I am getting someone to weld an ash catcher and 3' legs) I think this might have contributed to the lack of heat because not enough air getting to the fire basket. This whole time I was having the hardest time in the world to maintain even 225, luckily my chuck didn't dry out. My UDS would get up to 225, then start dropping down, to the 180s.. I only have on exhaust (3/4 in elbow) as it is because the lid to my UDS lets out enough smoke for 1-2 extra exhaust. I am trying to find a weber lid or a lid clamp to help better seal the lid.

Later in the night, after adjusting the elevation on the fire basket, and making sure the coals/chunks are nice and smokey before I put it in the bottom - my UDS was maintaining temp a lot better.

The weather was also in the 30s-40s tonight, so i feel that might have contributed to the problem.

Also I think drilling one more air intake hole - I currently have 3 - 3/4 in nipple for air intake.. I took off the elbows/pipes after I was having trouble keeping heat.

Can someone please walk me through the correct way of starting up your coal/chunks in a fire basket to where I don't have to struggle to maintain heat.

Thanks for any pointers guys:wink:

mikemci
02-06-2014, 01:38 AM
You need a bigger exhaust. The drum can't breathe. If you are going to use those 3/4" nipples like the one I see on your lid, you will need 2 or 3 more, spaced equally around the lid. That should fix your problem.

Fishin4bass723
02-06-2014, 01:44 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1682070&postcount=1 try this way since I have done it this way never had an issue chasing temps again.

Fishin4bass723
02-06-2014, 01:51 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109339 or this one

ebijack
02-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Like mentioned you do need more exhaust, 6 to 8 3/4 holes is typical or one 2in hole.
For your fire basket, get 3-3 inch long 3/8's bolts, 6 nuts and 6 washers to make legs for your basket, just use the double nuts to attach to the grate and let the basket stand on the head of the bolts.
What are those openings on the sides of your basket? looks like your going to be letting the coals fall out the sides and you won't be able to fill the basket it up.
I find I prefer using starter cubes to all the other methods I do, even my weed burner. Fill your basket with coals and wood chunks, put 1/2 of a cube in for low and slow, a full cube if your doing 300 or above. Light the cube, put a couple pieces of lump over the cube, set the basket down into the drum, add your grates, vents open/lid off for around 20 minutes while your getting your meat ready, go back and put your lid on full open. You should be up to temp in another few minutes then adjust temp as required.
Using the starter cube I can set my basket into the drum without the need for my welding gloves.
Lots of ways to do it!

ajstrider
02-06-2014, 05:13 AM
Like previous responses, your number one issue is not enough exhaust. If the hot air can't escape then fresh air to stoke the fire can't get in. Once you get a proper exhause setup you will probably notice less lid leakage. And then your basket needs some legs to get it up off the bottom to make room for ash to gather on the bottom and help air flow up and through the basket.

SmittyJonz
02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Drill a 2 1/4"'hole dead center on lid and use 4" tall 2" dia pipe nipple and couple. 2" conduit nuts. And get 3-4" Long Stainless Steel 1/4" bolts and washers nuts etc for basket feet/legs.

Bludawg
02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
You need more and UNRESTRICTED exhaust: Lose the Elbow and drill 7 more 3/4" holes OR use the 2" bung if you have one no such thing as TO much exhaust. then more exhaust you have the more draw you have and the hotter it will run because you are pulling more air.
Also you need to get the basket off the bottom. You should wait longer to let the chimney burn until you see NO Visible Smoke. Once you dump it in the basket let it go until you see no visible smoke before putting on the lid. A Weber top is not magic or necessary nor is a perfect sealing lid( No such thing as to much exhaust)

J-Rod
02-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Been running this setup for years now- One 1-1/2" intake on a riser, one 2"x6" exhaust stack. No problem hitting and maintaining 350. Sounds like you need more flow, and practice lighting your coals. You'll get a feel for how many to light for your target temp. Everything has a learning curve.

Shagdog
02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
It doesn't sound like you let your coals get hot enough before adding them to the barrel. Your coals (in the chimney)should be completely ashed over before adding them to your fire basket. If you only added just lit coals, I'm surprised you can get to 225. Your elbows are restricting airflow as well. And not enough exhaust..

If you need that thing working right now -

Take the lid off and give your fire some air for a few minutes, let your fire grow a bit.

Remove the elbows from your inlets, let the pipes run straight

Follow instructions from above and drill more exhaust holes.

should give your drum a lot more range in temp capabilities. And BTW, an excellent meal choice :thumb:

Fwismoker
02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Not that this is your complete problem but it DOES contribute. I'd guess 95% of UDS, WSM etc...owners make this mistake. Do not mix old charcoal with new charcoal!

A briquette only has so many BTU's and mixing old with new is giving unreliable heat.

Now i am not saying to not use the old....I use the old charcoal almost every cook but i burn it separately.

First take your basket and shake out the ash

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010983_zps6fe9ba87.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010983_zps6fe9ba87.jpg.html)

Stack the basket from most burnt to least burnt.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010984_zps10efeb2f.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010984_zps10efeb2f.jpg.html)

Lastly add new coals next to that.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010985_zps32262234.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010985_zps32262234.jpg.html)

Lighting either take out some of the side with the partial burnt and light and put it back or use something like a Weber cube or weed burner and light it right in the basket.

By burning from the partial first you will get a better initial burn and more even temps and higher temps.

Again mixing old and new won't give you the highest temps...make sense?

SmittyJonz
02-06-2014, 11:40 AM
I just shake ash out and dump new on top of old - no problems.

Fwismoker
02-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I just shake ash out and dump new on top of old - no problems. It'll cook sure but you are blending lower heat charcoal with new higher heat charcoal. I first learned that wasn't the way to go get 350*-400* in my mini mixing. Sure you can light a chimney of new and dump it in and get high heat, that's a no brainer but there isn't a need to do that.

If i used new it was never an issue but if i had a mix dumping new on old it wasn't has hot nor as consistent. .... which makes sense when you think about it.

I highly recommend trying it burning old to the new, it's the most consistent burns i've gotten...from doing both i'll never go back to dumping new on old.

russianthony
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
What are those openings on the sides of your basket? looks like your going to be letting the coals fall out the sides and you won't be able to fill the basket it up.

Those openings are just where my friend didn't finish welding the sides up with expanded metal. I have an 18 in pizza pan in the mail and once it comes in i am welding some 3" legs onto the pan for an ash catcher.

Ok so I take it i need some more exhaust on my lid.. I will add 3 more 3/4 in elbows or nipples. Also I am going put some 3 " legs on my fire basket.

Lastly I will make sure to follow everyones instructions on lighting my fire basket.

I was putting the coal from the chimney into the fire basket too early. Also I wasn't letting my fire basket get hot enough before closing the lid on my UDS.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was getting so frustrated last night trying to keep temp last night

c farmer
02-06-2014, 05:05 PM
I only had 4 ( 3/4 ) elbows for exhaust, it worked ok.

I have a total of 8 now and it is way better. I say you need 8 ( 3/4 ) elbows for exhaust.

Bludawg
02-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Those openings are just where my friend didn't finish welding the sides up with expanded metal. I have an 18 in pizza pan in the mail and once it comes in i am welding some 3" legs onto the pan for an ash catcher.

Ok so I take it i need some more exhaust on my lid.. I will add 3 more 3/4 in elbows or nipples. Also I am going put some 3 " legs on my fire basket.

Lastly I will make sure to follow everyones instructions on lighting my fire basket.

I was putting the coal from the chimney into the fire basket too early. Also I wasn't letting my fire basket get hot enough before closing the lid on my UDS.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was getting so frustrated last night trying to keep temp last night a 90 deg turn reduces air flow by 50% .750/2= .350" or about 5/16" it takes 8 .750 (3/4") holes to give you the same Area as 1 2" bung hole that you see
in 90% of all Flat lid UDS's. Why do you ask for help then act like we do not know of what we speak only to go off and do the opposite? Wal-mart has 16" steel pizza pans for 5 bucs mine is 5 yrs old and has no sighs of wearing out.

russianthony
02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
a 90 deg turn reduces air flow by 50% .750/2= .350" or about 5/16" it takes 8 .750 (3/4") holes to give you the same Area as 1 2" bung hole that you see
in 90% of all Flat lid UDS's. Why do you ask for help then act like we do not know of what we speak only to go off and do the opposite? Wal-mart has 16" steel pizza pans for 5 bucs mine is 5 yrs old and has no sighs of wearing out.

Are you talking about 90 deg turn on the exhaust will reduce air flow? So what happens if it rains? or for the air intakes on the bottom of the UDS?

I just didn't want to go buy another drill bit/hole cutter which is why I was just going to stick to the 3/4 in exhaust holes. Does it matter the placement of my 2" bunghole? I already have a handle in the middle of my lid.

thanks

Fwismoker
02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Both bends on the intake or exhaust will cut down on ease of airflow but by 50% might be subjective? ... idk

Keep the drum out of the rain if you can anyways because the rain will cool down your drum...contribute to rust etc...

ebijack
02-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Are you talking about 90 deg turn on the exhaust will reduce air flow? So what happens if it rains? or for the air intakes on the bottom of the UDS?
I just didn't want to go buy another drill bit/hole cutter which is why I was just going to stick to the 3/4 in exhaust holes. Does it matter the placement of my 2" bunghole? I already have a handle in the middle of my lid. thanks
You can drill the holes about equally spaced around the lid, or if you want, put a 2 inch exhaust hole off to one side from center. Just note, the area where the exhaust hole is does get more heated flow. But that can be an advantage a lot of times. example: cooking a turkey or brisket, you want more heat at the thickest part. Guess where you want your exhaust. You can control where your hotter spot is by rotating the lid. I do it all the time. And if you need a rain lid, pretty easy to make one out of an old metal coffee can to keep the rain out.

SmittyJonz
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Just put the lid half on.