PDA

View Full Version : my first brisket need advice

JCQuick
02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Well the wife was kind enough to do the shopping for the big game fest tomorrow. I wanted to try my hand at brisket. Since she was going to costco I asked her to get one. What she brought is a Flat cut :?: is this going to cook faster? this thing looks like a giant steak :doh:
Any suggestions on how to procede

smoke ninja
02-01-2014, 06:25 PM
How big, what are you cooking on.?

JCQuick
02-01-2014, 06:28 PM
its 5.5 lbs and its a propane smoke hollow smoker I'm just getting my feet wet on this smoking thing

smoke ninja
02-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Just keep it simple and add things/steps later. No bbq pitmasters stuff.
First cook at like 275. If you miss your target temp this allows for cushion. 225 minus 25* equals no good. Rub it. Smoke it. When barks sets up, about 3 hrs, wrap in butchers paper (foil). Cook until probe tender. Rest on counter about an hour still wrapped. Unwrap and slice when cool enough. I had trouble with flats for the longest.

JCQuick
02-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Thank you smoke I post up how i do

Curtc
02-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Thank you smoke I post up how i do

Brisket is my favorite thing to cook (Time Consuming) but so worth it, I rub it with Fresh Ground Pepper/ Kosher Salt a tad of Montreal Steak Seasoning and worhcestersire, let sit over nt. Cook low and slow 225-230 wrap in foil tightly with some beef broth when internal temp hits 165, when Internal Temp hits 180 plus start probing it should go in like butter, put on counter and let it rest till internal temp hits 150, wrap and put in cooler for 2-4 hours wrapped in towels, ( Pre heat cooler with hot water first) remove and slice. Slices dry out so slice as needed!!

Just found that this is a (fool proof method) remember there is no cooking time set in croncrete, every cook will be different. get a remote therm to monitor temps!!! Good LUCK

crb478
02-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Most times people under cook brisket instead of over cooking it. Under cooked it will be tough and slice well. Moderately over cooked it will still be moist, be tender, but will try to fall apart when slicing, so err on the side of overcooking. Its for eating not competition. Cook until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.

JCQuick
02-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Thamks guys I'm more of a well done type around here so I'm going to get started here shorly will post up progress

SigSauerNY
02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Just keep it moist, those 1st cut flats are bone dry and without moisture or fat its gonna a be dried out. Covering with bacon also helps with adding fat

JCQuick
02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
here it is I used the monterey steak as a rub. I have used it on my grill before and liked so i said why not . Going to put some ABT's and moink balls on too :mrgreen: this is my 4th time every smoking but so far i'm digging it :mrgreen:

smoke ninja
02-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Remember wrap the flat once bark is good then don't pull it until probe tender in the thick part.
Many people give up early. Hold out and you'll be rewarded.

JCQuick
02-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Remember wrap the flat once bark is good then don't pull it until probe tender in the thick part.
Many people give up early. Hold out and you'll be rewarded.

yeah just now hitting the 3 hr mark I want more bark :becky: but its close to getting wrapped

daninnewjersey
02-02-2014, 03:06 PM
this is my 4th time every smoking but so far i'm digging it :mrgreen:

I got news for you....it's only going to get better....

FatCoyote
02-02-2014, 03:13 PM
smoke ninja said it about right, however I would use foil on your first cook and would only add to his guidance in that when you wrap it add a little liquid (beer, stock, whatever you like) as flat tends to be a bit dry if not kept moist. Also, wrap it when it hits 145-160 degrees or so and let it ride until it hits 195.

If you have spare bacon, I like to lay it on-top of flats when they are wrapped, but that is just me and Ill probably be shot for saying that by a fellow Texan teammate.

BevoBurn96
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Applying bacon improves practically everything. :thumb:

JCQuick
02-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Sorry it took so long to update but after dinner and the big game then Monday here I am. :doh: here's the run down smoke at 225-250 (some times a bit higher) for 5 hours then wraped in foil for about 2 hours then let it sit for an hour. no I didn't do the wrap in towel cooler trick yet :decision: The first 2 pics are before wrap and after wrap oh wraped at 170* and it was 195* when I pulled it.

Anyway I used a lot of suggestion from here to do this thank you all for responding. And remember I'm just trying this out but in did see more smoked stuff in the future .
The details I used mustard just to hold the rub on and I used montery steak seasoning for that, yeah call me nuts but I've use it on steak before and liked it :mrgreen: . .
heres some pics remember its my 4th smoke ever :grin: I also did some moinks and ABT's my 2nd try on those :doh:

Ag76
02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Looks like a good job to me.