PDA

View Full Version : OTG vs Performer Silver

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
So, after a month with my ECB, the charcoal bug has burrowed fairly deep into me... and that means it's time to add a charcoal grill to the yard.

I've always wanted a "classic" Weber kettle, but until fairly recently lived in an apartment with a wooden deck and had to have gas only.

Right now I have a charmglow four burner gas grill. There's nothing wrong with it, and I plan to still use the gasser for quick weeknight meals. That said, I don't have any real use for a gas assist charcoal grill as the new charcoal grill will only be used for more leisurely weekend cooks either for the family or small-medium get-togethers when saving time with gas assist won't matter.

I was pretty set on getting an OTG, but then I saw the performer silver on amazon. I'm going to be ordering from amazon for sure as I have a $100 gift card to use, which would make the OTG $49 and the Performer Silver $129.

Anyone have any experience with the performer silver? is it worth an extra $80 over the OTG? I'm still leaning towards the OTG considering it's only $50 after the gift card, but if anyone has any compelling reasons that I should reconsider the performer, I'm interested in hearing about it. The cost of the gold/platinum performers are out of my budget right now, and I really don't think I'd use the additional features they have, anyway.

Edit: I did search old threads before posting this - found a lot of comparisons of the OTG to the high-end performers, as well as a good thread about the performer silver, but not much comparison between these two grills specifically.

poppa smoke
01-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Keep it simple go with the one touch gold ,you will never regret it.but one is never enough I have 6

MisterChrister
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
The table comes in REALLY handy if you don't already have somewhere right next to your grill to put stuff.

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 01:34 PM
If the table was 304 stainless I'd go with it. What happens when you put something on the plastic table, accidentally, that is around say 450F?

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
The table comes in REALLY handy if you don't already have somewhere right next to your grill to put stuff.

Yeah, that's my hang up... It'll be near the gasser and the patio table, so I'm trying to figure out if that table will be $80 worth of convenience over the existing workspaces I would have within a few steps. Also, lid holder seems nice, not sure if it's any better (or worse?) than the hook on the OTG. And last the additional stability of the cart vs the tripod...

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 01:44 PM
If the table was 304 stainless I'd go with it. What happens when you put something on the plastic table, accidentally, that is around say 450F?

Doesn't really specify exactly what the material is other than "painted metal"

https://c7cf1aee0f9592118cd3-45a8e764187dff1857a6ffe8280848dc.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/uploads/images/cropped/360_310/2013_04_12_03_51_47_Performer_Silver_side.jpg

ssv3
01-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Agreed!

I was actually looking to pull the trigger on a performer silver when I came up on a barely used performer platinum for $150 with cover on CL. The ease of moving the grill around and the table are absolutely essential IMHO. When I use my PBC (barrel) for example I'll bring the performer around it to use the table to place things on. So that's at least one thing to consider.

My vote is the performer silver.

Goyo626
01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
check craigslist. Got a weber kettle with tongs, 2 charcoal baskets, a weber chiminey and a grill brush for $30-something.

bvbull200
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
You can get a lot of meat for $80. Or equipment. Or charcoal...

The OTG is what I think of when I think of a Weber. If you need a table, get something that you can easily use with all of your cooking equipment, lest you have to cart an entire grill over to your smoker just so you can use the table.

I'd get the OTG, a brisket, a rib-roast, and a few bags of your favorite charcoal.

TurkeyLeg
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I have an OTG and love it, but the hook on the lid did annoy me so I bought this:

http://store.weber.com/items/detail/1399

I also have a table with a ceramic tile top next to it for work space

Smoke Dawg
01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $60

Love it

promad
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $50.00 missing a front caster but that was just a few bucks , and it is great having the work area and the gas assist , I love it

NeoTrout
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Check CL. Tons of stuff out there. 8)

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $60

I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $50.00

Do I hear $40?

:laugh:

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
I have an OTG and love it, but the hook on the lid did annoy me so I bought this:

http://store.weber.com/items/detail/1399

I also have a table with a ceramic tile top next to it for work space

That's a pretty sweet accessory... It's $70 on amazon for some reason, but for $25 from weber, that is really cool.

MarleyMan
01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I have a Performer and I use the table A LOT. I have it set up right beside my smoker so the table gets double duty.

If you want the OTG you can buy a side table that is removeable later down the road if you decide you need the table

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7413-Kettle-Charcoal-Grills/dp/B000WEPHKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391026401&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+side+table

deguerre
01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
The only downside to the OTG is the leg assembly. They CAN come out when moving if you aren't careful. It's never happened to me with my OTS but only because I haven't had a case of the stupids in that particular circumstance yet. That said, I also got a 50 dollar Performer Platinum off of CL. I've never used the gas assist, not even once, in four years. I HAVE used both the OTS and the performer at the same time though, so having more than one kettle is always good. Looking at the size of the table on the silver, I'm not sure it's actually worth the extra considering you already have a decent work space.

sliding_billy
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I have an OTG, but I would love the Performer. I got my OTG for cheep on CL, so that's the one I have.

ajstrider
01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
It can be hard to figure out just how much money to spend on one of these Weber grills, I mean you have to draw the line somewhere right? But also consider the length of the investment, these things last for decades. But be careful, you may find yourself wanting a Performer Gold or Platinum in the future, so maybe an OTG is a good way to start.

deguerre
01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Then again, the Performer makes a MOST excellent base for the Cajun Bandit conversion kit...

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/clscoreandcajunbandit.jpg?t=1299196051

Which is what I have. :becky:

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
It can be hard to figure out just how much money to spend on one of these Weber grills, I mean you have to draw the line somewhere right? But also consider the length of the investment, these things last for decades. But be careful, you may find yourself wanting a Performer Gold or Platinum in the future, so maybe an OTG is a good way to start.

I think this is probably the answer that makes the most sense for me. If I start with the OTG, I'm only shelling out $49 right now, and then if (more likely when) I want a second grill, I can go for a performer gold/platinum. I'm not sure the benefits of the performer silver really warrant the extra cash right now, and if I'm going to upgrade/add on in the future, I can always go all out for one of the big boy performers...

MrGreenJeans
01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
I have the Performer Silver and I find the shelf very handy especially when I cook larger pieces of meat. It folds down when I put the grill away as well. The locking casters make the grill sturdy and I make use of the underneath storage for a few things.I think the OTG is probably the better value but over the life of the grill, the price difference looks even smaller.

BBQ-Ant
01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
If you're cooking for a few people, you may want to consider a 26" OTG. Lots of grilling real estate. If I had to buy a new OTG again, that's the way I'd go. But looking for a performer, even an SS one, on CL is always a good option.

bbqwilly
01-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Im with the craigslist guys. There are ridiculous deals out there everyday, you just have to find them.

Good luck

deguerre
01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Ask yourself this Jason. If your children are old enough to assist you, which one would be better for them to use that would also fulfil your own requirements? If they're interested in cooking that is.

IlliniQ
01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Ask yourself this Jason. If your children are old enough to assist you, which one would be better for them to use that would also fulfil your own requirements? If they're interested in cooking that is.

That's a good point. The little man is only 2 now, so for a while the only participation he has with grilling is learning about the dangers of fire, hot grills, etc. But, he definitely does enjoy being around when I cook and "helping" :biggrin1:

I think if he starts getting into grilling with me as he grows up, I might consider a little smokey joe or something similar that would be easier for him to work with height-wise, but I hadn't really thought much about his participation in this decision (other than the fact that the performer silver table is about face-high for a two year old with a sharp steel corner... :shocked:)

smoke ninja
01-29-2014, 05:36 PM
If your handy spend $50 one otg and use the 80 left over to build a work table with storage.

deguerre
01-29-2014, 06:50 PM
... I hadn't really thought much about his participation in this decision (other than the fact that the performer silver table is about face-high for a two year old with a sharp steel corner... :shocked:)

Now that is a legitimate concern! What if YOU have to move very quickly (Flare up or something) and don't have time to check exactly where he is (If he's with you) before you react...

Goyo626
01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/fuo/4295452585.html

Tons of good stuff on craigslist. Usually in good shape people try to use them once or twice and learn that it takes time, patience, and skill to use charcoal and find it easier to get rid of it.

ssv3
01-29-2014, 08:26 PM
CL is a your friend. You can pocket the amazon cash for now or use it for something else, accessories and such.

Just to give you an idea here is list of my Weber loot from CL. I paid a total of $250 for:

Almost new Performer platinum 2010 with cover $150

Almost new Weber smokey joe 2011 used ONCE (Free)

Brand new in box 88 Weber Smokey Joe $20

Brand new in box 93 Weber Go Anywhere $20

Used but in real good shape Weber OTG with Weber charcoal chimney for $60