PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Cut Ribs Special at Aldi

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 09:54 AM
$1.99 per pound. Seems like a very good deal if they truly are fully trimmed:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2a4y9le.png

I checked a couple stores nationally and they seem to have the sell at each store.. so chances are your local Aldi has them too. I'm gonna go check these out soon!

deguerre
01-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I can get full spares from PrairieFresh at the local mom and pop for that or a few cents more. I've never trusted the meat cases at the Aldis in Memphis. Interesting to see them sell a Tyson product though. Since it IS Tyson, are they enhanced?

jafo28
01-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Checked mine in South Jersey, and they're having the same sale. Was in another store on Sunday and theirs were $3.79/lb.

Thanks for posting this!

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Well I can get full spares cheaper than the Aldi sale. I just figured if you wanted to cook only St. Louis cut, then you wouldn't have to pay for scrap tidbits and rib tips (although rib tips are yummy if you want that).

Stoke&Smoke
01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
All the pork I've ever seen at Aldi has been enhanced. Look close before you buy, unless you don't mind that

deguerre
01-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Well I can get full spares cheaper than the Aldi sale. I just figured if you wanted to cook only St. Louis cut, then you wouldn't have to pay for scrap tidbits and rib tips (although rib tips are yummy if you want that).

Yep. But, I usually just cook the whole slab, if I'm not cooking baby backs. Even when I want the presentation, though, I'll cook the leftovers for beans, nachos or what have you. :thumb:

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Yep. But, I usually just cook the whole slab, if I'm not cooking baby backs. Even when I want the presentation, though, I'll cook the leftovers for beans, nachos or what have you. :thumb:

Makes sense :) I bet the ones you get aren't "enhanced" either.

smoke ninja
01-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Is Aldi up to quality?
I've always thought they had inferior product.

deguerre
01-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Is Aldi up to quality?
I've always thought they had inferior product.

It really depends. Personally, I almost never go, but some of their dry goods, even though brands Americans are not familiar with, aren't bad. Since their produce outright sucks and I don't trust their meat, there is no incentive for me to visit. Also of note, at least in Memphis at the store near me, the sale stuff actually comes out on Sundays and by the time the Tuesday/Wednesday flyer comes out, everything's been picked over or already gone. Had the manager say this to me when I asked how something could sell out so quickly once.

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
It really depends. Personally, I almost never go, but some of their dry goods, even though brands Americans are not familiar with, aren't bad. Since their produce outright sucks and I don't trust their meat, there is no incentive for me to visit.

I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them. Their mayo is better than Best Foods & Helman's... and I am very picky about mayo.. Helmann's / Best Foods has always been my favorite, until now -- it's also half the cost.

deguerre
01-29-2014, 11:42 AM
I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them. Their mayo is better than Best Foods & Helman's... and I am very picky about mayo.. Helmann's / Best Foods has always been my favorite, until now -- it's also half the cost.

I understand about the mayo. For me, mayo has just GOT to be Dukes. Blue Plate in a pinch, or even Sauers which is made by the same company as Dukes. :thumb::thumb:

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I understand about the mayo. For me, mayo has just GOT to be Dukes. Blue Plate in a pinch, or even Sauers which is made by the same company as Dukes. :thumb::thumb:

I'll have to try Dukes :) Thanks. (Sorry for getting off topic.)

Btw, I've bought ribs from Aldi before and they turned out pretty tasty. They were baby backs.

deguerre
01-29-2014, 12:07 PM
I'll have to try Dukes :) Thanks. (Sorry for getting off topic.)

Btw, I've bought ribs from Aldi before and they turned out pretty tasty. They were baby backs.

Hey, it's not as if it ain't YOUR topic in the first place. :becky:

Now, back to Tyson Enhanced Ribs On Sale!

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok, so I bought one rack of ribs there at Aldi. It is in fact, enhanced... a whopping 12% too--poor waterlogged ribs!

jafo28
01-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Question from a newbie. How does the enhancement effect them?

MarleyMan
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Question from a newbie. How does the enhancement effect them?

The enhancement is a salt solution to add more moisture (and weight) to the product.

With ribs, they can end up tasting "hammy" sometimes.

Most of us also like to use our own seasonings and flavors, so many look for non-enhanced products to cook.

defence18
01-29-2014, 04:05 PM
I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them.

My father in law was in the grocery consultant business for his entire career. He says ALDI is known to have some of the highest quality canned goods. Of course my mother in law refuses to shop there because she never has a quarter for her to get a cart. Go figure.

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Of course my mother in law refuses to shop there because she never has a quarter for her to get a cart. Go figure.

She can ask for a quarter from the clerk up front--I have upon occasion. They assume you'll return the quarter but don't keep track--I always return it of course :)

motoeric
01-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I like Aldi for somethings and can't stand them for others. Canned goods seem to be good. Chocolate is imported from Germany and the snacks (chips, salsa) are good. Their goat cheese is really good and crazy cheap.

I'm a little concerned about their meat (although I haven't tried any) and their produce isn't any better or cheaper than other places around here.

In general, I'm sort of enamored with the place. They are clean, well run and organized. They usually have at least 3 upc symbols on their products to help speed up check out. I've never been on their lines for more than 3 minutes.

For the person that was asking about 'enhanced' ribs, I've only used them once and I used a rub w/out salt. They came out fine.

Eric

popeye
01-29-2014, 06:48 PM
I shop at aldi and buy the can goods . As far as meat i get it at other places . i'm just picky.(and i always care a couple of quarters (in case some one needs it ).

deguerre
01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
In general, I'm sort of enamored with the place. They are clean, well run and organized. They usually have at least 3 upc symbols on their products to help speed up check out. I've never been on their lines for more than 3 minutes.

For the person that was asking about 'enhanced' ribs, I've only used them once and I used a rub w/out salt. They came out fine.

Eric
You should visit the one on Summer Avenue in the 38122...:shock:

Shinka
01-29-2014, 07:07 PM
I never shopped Aldi's but when I was at a Trader Joe's in TN, the manager told me they were the same company. Love Trader Joe's!

motoeric
01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
I never shopped Aldi's but when I was at a Trader Joe's in TN, the manager told me they were the same company. Love Trader Joe's!

They have the same origins, but different companies. Aldi's was owned by two brothers and they are HUGE in Europe (especially in Germany). They had a disagreement and split the company into Aldi north and Aldi south. Aldi north opened Trader Joe's in the US and Aldi south opened Aldi's here.

Eric

c farmer
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I just found 2 locations within 30 miles of me. I will have to check them out.

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 09:36 PM
I just found 2 locations within 30 miles of me. I will have to check them out.

Some things I get regularly from Aldi, that are better deals than any other store I shop at :

$1 spices (about 10 different ones, large jars)
89 cent per can of whole or crushed tomatoes
89 cent hamburger buns (8) (better than the walmart ones for $1.29)
.... (and they don't stick to the bottom of the package like walmart ones do)
99 cent soft taco flour tortillas ($1.89 at walmart for great value brand)
$1.29 burrito sized flour tortillas (just over $2 at walmart for gv brand)
3 lb bag of yellow onions $1.69
bags of shredded sharp cheddar and shredded mozerella (better prices than walmart)
milk ($3.50/gallon tastes better than the watery Sams milk), eggs (1dozen for $1.59 today) & butter
fruits on sale (e.g. 4 lb bag of oranges for $1.50)
carrots, celery, avocados, broccoli, cabbage, roma tomatoes
3 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless for $5.98
Mayonaise (better than helman's/best foods imo at half the price)
ketchup is affordable and good.. i get that too.
green olives for like $1.19 a jar (compare to $1.49 at walmart)
dry dog food -- dog seems to like it and it's affordable
they have butterball turkeys there year round, frozen, for $1.19 a pound.

These are just some highlights, I get other stuff. They also have much more there that I don't buy--I don't buy much processed foods.

Drunk Monkey
01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Aldi has great values. I have no specifics for you but we always seam to walk out of there with 2 bulging bags for less than $30. Having said that our meat comes from Costco.

bbqgeekess
01-29-2014, 10:08 PM
I am finding the best meat deals from Sam's , fresh , non-enhanced, very inexpensive by the case. I am sure Costco is as good, just there is no Costco here in Tulsa.

I don't get many meats from Aldi.

Oh, another good deal at Aldi: 1 pound of beef franks for $2.49 (compared to walmart's $3.49 for a pound of ball park beef franks)

Bob in St. Louis
01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
As a bachelor, some quarter century ago, I quit buying food from Aldi once the income started rolling in. Tired of Ramin[sp] noodles, and cheap, bland no-name brands, I found the joys of buying "real" food, from "real" places.

Although, the "real" place I shop at now, still sells meat that is "enhanced with up to 15% of a flavor enhancement".

So when I take the time, effort, and passion to cook something for my family, I go straight to the butcher to buy meat straight from the animal. No prior packaging and injection of cryptic sounding "enhancements" for me.

smoke ninja
01-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Everyone complains about enhanced, but many people enhance their own meat by brining and injecting.

I steer clear of them too, but then again I don't brine or inject much.

fuzzbottom
01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
They can jack up the weight,i.e. price by injecting liquid. If you read the ingrediants, you will not buy!

Yellowhair42
01-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Just bought the last one they had.Looking forward to some hammy ribs this weekend.

EverettBBQ
01-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi from KC:shock:
Just got a case of ribs from Price Chopper:mod:
St. Louis style Spare ribs
Ciro vac single ribs
14 racks, 1.95 per pound
They had real straight bones
They are frozen. :blabla::razz:
I am going to get another case tomorrow :grin::grin:

bbqgeekess
01-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi from KC:shock:
Just got a case of ribs from Price Chopper:mod:
St. Louis style Spare ribs
Ciro vac single ribs
14 racks, 1.95 per pound
They had real straight bones
They are frozen. :blabla::razz:
I am going to get another case tomorrow :grin::grin:

Nice, I assume they aren't enhanced either.

deguerre
01-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Although, the "real" place I shop at now, still sells meat that is "enhanced with up to 15% of a flavor enhancement".

"Let's Go Krogering,
Krogering,
Krogering.
Let's Go Krogering!
The Better Way To Shop!"

:thumb: :becky:

Packmanjim
01-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Funny story about Aldis, when my girls were in grade school I would often pick them up after school then swing by Aldis to pick up a few things. The girls did not want to be seen at Aldis because it was where the "poor people shopped" and they did not want to be seen there. They said we could afford to go to Walmart lol. Now that they are out on there own they love Aldis.

Bob in St. Louis
01-31-2014, 08:00 AM
HAHA !!
Kroger actually left St. Louis a couple decades ago.
But yea...."Price Chopper", "Schuncks", both sell pre packaged meat that I pay a an extra fifty cents for somebody elses definition of "flavor enhancing liquid".

At least with my flavor enhancing liquid, I know what it is. :blah:

"Let's Go Krogering,
Krogering,
Krogering.
Let's Go Krogering!
The Better Way To Shop!"

deguerre
01-31-2014, 08:17 AM
At least with my flavor enhancing liquid, I know what it is. :blah:

OK. Now that just sounds downright naughty. :shock:

:becky:

We had Schnuck's for a bit. Kroger pretty much ran them off.

ButtBurner
01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
"Let's Go Krogering,
Krogering,
Krogering.
Let's Go Krogering!
The Better Way To Shop!"

no..

the last line was

for the best of everything....including the price!!

:wink:

deguerre
01-31-2014, 09:13 AM
no..

the last line was

for the best of everything....including the price!!

:wink:

Been a looooooong time since I've heard that jingle. That WAS the end tag!

bbqgeekess
01-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Anyways, the st. louis ribs turned out fine. Didn't taste hammy :) That said, I'll be getting my next spares from Sam's. I assume they are IBP and non-enhanced. I'll buy a case of them.

ButtBurner
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Been a looooooong time since I've heard that jingle. That WAS the end tag!

no idea why I remember that

I cant remember the names of my co workers but I remember that LOL

Bob in St. Louis
01-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Yea, that was pretty bad, now that you mention it. ha ha haha!!!!!

OK. Now that just sounds downright naughty. :shock:

:becky:

We had Schnuck's for a bit. Kroger pretty much ran them off.

Yellowhair42
02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
They only had one rack left.I didn't peel the membrane.Not hammy at all.Good thing they only had one left because I would have went back and bought them all.

bbqgeekess
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
They only had one rack left.I didn't peel the membrane.Not hammy at all.Good thing they only had one left because I would have went back and bought them all.

Looks delicious! :) Mine was good too!

retired trucker
02-09-2014, 10:55 PM
If you are looking for a great place to buy Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then look at Zaycon foods. They sell wholesale to the public and their breasts average over 2 lbs each. they sell them by the case ( 40 lbs per case ) for less than $2 per pound. They have "events" at different locations around the country at different times of the year.

I just bought a case two weeks ago, and wound up putting up 17 vacuumed packs with 2 breasts in each pack. We had one last week that I cut into strips and wound up with two meals of fried chicken strips for three adults out of the 2 breasts. We also buy their link breakfast sausages in 20 lb cases. They are great tasting, and better than anything I have found at any supermarket. Those are the only things we have bought from them and will buy from them again. They have a delivery date at a location for you to pick up your order from their refrigerated delivery truck. They sell other things also. Disclaimer: I don't work for them or get paid by them, I am just a very satisfied customer. Their web site is www.zayconfoods.com You can check and see if they sell in your area.

Blessings,
Omar