PDA

View Full Version : Ist Babybacks .... fairly pleased, but ....

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 07:27 PM
..... something was just not quite there yet. 3.29 lbs, 19.5 in long, cut in half, SpiceWine Hen-N-Hog rub (I treated as sugar-based). Lump, small pecan prunings, several blocks of cherry. Kept dome temp below 300*F for most of the cook, but it got windy and it got to 350*F for a bit. 3.5 hrs then into foil with SpiceWine Smokin' Cracker BBQ sauce, sealed and back in for one hour.

Smoke was apparent, pleasant, not strong or bitter. I hope you can see something in these few pics which tip you off to things I can't spot yet. The cross section pic is of both half-racks .... I slathered one with mustard after some rub and more rub before cooking. The other just had plenty of rub. I think you can see which one has the mustard.

I can sure use some thoughts for next time.

T_B

bbqjoe
05-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Definitely looks like it got too hot.

Bill-Chicago
05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Definitely looks like it got too hot.

Same thought here Joe

Unless its the pic, the cross section shows no "pink" smoke reaction. Too hot, sealed the meat, is a definite possibility

Kevin
05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Agree with the above. The sugar bruned.

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
..... this time. My only alternative right now is a Maverick Redi-Chek but I wasn't sure how to place it (given so much bone in the ribs). I think I could have avoided the heat issue with proper and continuous temp moniotring.

How do you Brethren monitor babyback temps? I was also trying to avoid opening the lid after the smoke phase got going.

T_B

Kevin
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
No one hammers anyone here except in humorous banter. Put the temp probe through a tater and lay it on the grates, not touching any metal.

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 07:50 PM
... but could not recall the potato part ..... duuhhh. I can't wait for next time and better temp control ..... I hope I'm correct shooting for something near (but not in excess of) 275*F.

Regards,
T_B

Bill-Chicago
05-26-2006, 08:07 PM
and lay it on the grates, not touching any metal.

Kevin, not picking nits, but wonder why you specify not to touch metal?

I always lay the probe onto the grate, or use 2 shelve grates to hold the probe exactly between 2 levels.

Think about it.

The temperature chamber is 230. The maximum temperature of the grate has to be 230 as well, cuz bringing the pit up to temps, means the grates too. The grates can NOT be higher than 230, can it?, because the grates themselves cannot Produce heat.

Does that sound right?

And Q_Egg, don't shoot for 275, shoot for 235.

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I will definitely change my targets and monitor at the grate level.

Thanks,
T_B

Kevin
05-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Kevin, not picking nits, but wonder why you specify not to touch metal?

I always lay the probe onto the grate, or use 2 shelve grates to hold the probe exactly between 2 levels.

Think about it.

The temperature chamber is 230. The maximum temperature of the grate has to be 230 as well, cuz bringing the pit up to temps, means the grates too. The grates can NOT be higher than 230, can it?, because the grates themselves cannot Produce heat.

Does that sound right?

And Q_Egg, don't shoot for 275, shoot for 235.

Willkat, I agree on the lower temp for ribs. As far as the touching metal thing, it's just been my experience that you monitor air temps rather than grate temps. But I'm drinking so I could be all askew. Still having fun though.

spicewine
05-26-2006, 08:21 PM
WOW!! Too Much Heat Brother!! I am thrilled that you are useing my product ,but Man it is temp, sensitive, Lots-O -Sugar ect. PM me and I will give you the low down on things.

Spice

Dakaty
05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Q Egg

Did you use green pecan prunings? Green wood will produce a bitter smoke coating on your meat and pit.

Just a thought..

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 08:57 PM
.... although they are not large at all in diameter(<2 in.). Some seemed very dry, but I was desperate for some smoking wood given the very limited local supply. I gathered this from the closest pecan orchard and I bet it is from this past years pruning. I will let this batch set for next year.

Regards,
Tom
T_B

Dakaty
05-26-2006, 09:07 PM
I wonder if you could speed up the seasoning process by "cooking" your wood in the oven at 225 or so degrees for a few hours? If you have a shortage of smoking wood it might be an idea. I'll bet there have been other discussions on this...

Ron_L
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree on the heat. Not only did the sugar burn, I think that the ribs cooked too fast and the flavors didn't have time to develop. I try to find racks that are around 2.5 lbs and they cook in about 5 hours at 220 - 230 degrees grate temp in my WSM. YMMV, of course :-D

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 09:27 PM
.... reaction (willkat9). My Boston Butt pics (same digicam) clearly showed the pink so I believe you are correct and the 'heat sealed the meat' ... that sounds kinda good ....

I could try drying the pecan wood .... maybe at the end of a cook as things cool down.

Thanks,
Tom
T_B

thirdeye
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Q Egg,

You were running too hot. The dome temp will be 25° to 40° higher than the grate temp. It looks like your grate is too low too. Did you use a plate setter, another heat barrier or some other set up?

I seldom use a rack and prefer to lay ribs flat. When I have a full grate I use a home-made gizmo to hold a temp probe about 2" above the ribs. I may use a little foil early in the cook to protect the edges that stick over the plate setter. You can also tent them with foil to hold more moisture while still allowing them to take smoke.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/8cd110c9.jpg

The sweet spot for me for ribs and chicken too is about even with the lid.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/194e3eb4.jpg

kcquer
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I wonder if you could speed up the seasoning process by "cooking" your wood in the oven at 225 or so degrees for a few hours? If you have a shortage of smoking wood it might be an idea. I'll bet there have been other discussions on this...

What you're suggesting is a home based approach to kiln drying the wood. Kiln drying is a very complicated process that includes controlled amounts of humidity to prevent moisture from actually being trapped in the wood, it takes days not hours.
I've never tried it so I certainly wouldn't say it couldn't be done, but knowing a bit about it, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Q_Egg
05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
.... to arrive. Grid Extender would have let me raise things up, but it is not ordered yet. Your pics help, especially the gizmo for holding the temp probe.

Thanks for these latest two Replies!

Tom B.
Q_Egg
aka tommy_bandera

thirdeye
05-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Q Egg,

I thought that might be the problem. BGE's need mass for indirect cooking. You can use a pizza stone, fire bricks or a drip pan with sand. If you are getting the plate setter and extender you can set up two levels of indirect cooking like this. 4 butts will fit with this set up. The drip pan is sitting on the plate setter, lined with foil for easy clean up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/b94dc477.jpg

A mod you might consider making is called a Sandbagger Ring. It is just a spacer that gives you more distance when cooking direct or it will support a second grate for doing over & under indirect cooks. It is the shiny ring under the grate. It is sitting on top of the fire ring. It's the cats a$$ for chicken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/00e8f14a.jpg

Bill-Chicago
05-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Good job 3I

I knew an egg owner would help him out.

Q_E, follow 3rd's advise, he knows your cooker.

My .02 was a generality.

Experimenting = tasty food stuffs!!

bbqinNC
05-27-2006, 03:32 AM
My 2 cents, way too much heat. I cook my ribs (spareribs only to date) at 200-225 for 5-6 hours. Based on the smoke ring it looks like your ribs were grilled instead of smoked.

They still look good though.:-D

Q_Egg
05-27-2006, 09:43 AM
..... from so many Brethren! These all raise my abilities significantly for the next cook. The BGE specifics are most useful and I will apply them regularly.

Many thanks,
Tom B. (Q_Egg)
aka tommy_bandera

Large Big Green Egg