PDA

View Full Version : Dan Pearson Charcoal Chimney is Amazing!

Bilestoad
01-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Hello All:

First off let me say, I don't actively participate much in the forums but I do read them. I have been an avid Backyard Charcoal griller, smoker, cooker for many years. Recently I treated myself to one of Dan's phenomenal Charcoal Chimneys.

They are amazing! Built like a tank, holds a LOT of charcoal and best of all dumps out of the bottom. It makes it much safer. Great service from Dan and very patient.

Top notch all the way, I couldn't be happier.:mrgreen:

sliding_billy
01-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Got a link to the product?

Porcine Perfection
01-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Got a link to the product?

http://www.charcoalchimney.us/

Wneill20
01-25-2014, 11:39 AM
$119.00 :shocked: i will pass

Bludawg
01-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Weed Burner HF 19.00 tank of Propane 16.00 $66 for beer & meat

TheBill
01-25-2014, 11:55 AM
I wish I could see the product on an ipad.

Porcine Perfection
01-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I wish I could see the product on an ipad.

Right now it is only available for Android. :caked:

http://www.charcoalchimney.us/images/charcoal-chimney.jpg

joe84780
01-25-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm sure it's a great chimney but $119??? That's a healthy profit margin!

GoolsbyMD
01-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Agreed ill stick to my weed burner and a cord of wood for that price.

jamus34
01-25-2014, 01:33 PM
I'll stick to my Weber starter...does just fine for me and all I need to do is wear gloves when dumping a full chimney.

BruceB
01-25-2014, 01:38 PM
I have two Weber chimneys I bought 9 years ago for $14ea., and they still both work great.

thebbqkid
01-25-2014, 01:40 PM
ya its a good idea but ive had my webber chimney for 2 years now. its holding up just fine

smoke ninja
01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
You could buy one chimney a year for a decade and still not spend that much.
I got $50 meat probe if you want one

sliding_billy
01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Damn, that's a lot of scratch.

16Adams
01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
I think it would make a fantastic wedding or college graduation gift.
Screw hand towels and napkin holders. Let's light some coals and cook.

motoeric
01-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Is this thread an ad?

Eric

Smoking Bruin
01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Great idea at the wrong price. My Weber chims are solid.

kds9547
01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Wow. All these haters.

I have one myself and love it. Worth every penny for the quality and bottom dumping feature. Last chimney I will ever buy. Guess I'm lucky to be able to afford to purchase a quality product.

GoolsbyMD
01-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Wow. All these haters.

I have one myself and love it. Worth every penny for the quality and bottom dumping feature. Last chimney I will ever buy. Guess I'm lucky to be able to afford to purchase a quality product.

Lol it's not, not being able to afford it or being a "hater", look at the smokers in most peoples sig and thats obvious. I think its more about dollars per time being used amongst other many obvious trade offs. But since you said you like it and get good use out of it then enjoy it.

SmokinGrillz
01-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Wow. All these haters.

I've been looking at this for a couple of months now and will pick one up when the new smoker arrives. No more worrying about dropping hot coals out onto the deck.

Teleking
01-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Not hating but you can buy a Weber OTS, Weber starter, a bag of charcoal, meat, and beer for less.

cholloway
01-25-2014, 06:40 PM
It looks like a quality product if that's what you need or want. It's just not for me.

Bilestoad
01-25-2014, 06:40 PM
All I Wanted to do was give a thumbs up to a great product and manufacturer. My post was never meant as a challenge. If you don't like it or want it okay. :sad:

Fwismoker
01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
All I Wanted to do was give a thumbs up to a great product and manufacturer. My post was never meant as a challenge. If you don't like it or want it okay. :sad:
There is NO question it's a great product...just out of budget for what it is unfortunately.

kds9547
01-25-2014, 07:23 PM
I've been looking at this for a couple of months now and will pick one up when the new smoker arrives. No more worrying about dropping hot coals out onto the deck.

Just used mine less than an hour ago. You will love it.

scrub puller
01-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Yair . . . Typical "designer" screw up, you take something simple and make it complicated . . . who asked for such bull****.

Most folks I know understand how to turn a chimney upside town to tip . . . sheesh!

Cheers.

kds9547
01-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Yair . . . Typical "designer" screw up, you take something simple and make it complicated . . . who asked for such bull****.

Most folks I know understand how to turn a chimney upside town to tip . . . sheesh!

Cheers.

You pull a lever and the coals fall out. May be complicated for a moron but pretty simple for myself.

Teleking
01-25-2014, 07:50 PM
You pull a lever and the coals fall out. May be complicated for a moron but pretty simple for myself.

Makin friends? But us moreon-es still have $105 bucks in our pockets. I've had a Weber for 10 years and likely get another 10. Great concept and I'll give a $20 spot for one with a lifetime warranty.

And yes I have a $100 thermapen

kds9547
01-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Makin friends? But us moreon-es still have $105 bucks in our pockets. I've had a Weber for 10 years and likely get another 10. Great concept and I'll give a $20 spot for one with a lifetime warranty.

And yes I have a $100 thermapen

Got plenty of friends and I have two thermapens.

biker.chef
01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
You pull a lever and the coals fall out. May be complicated ...

That was way too much, man.

landarc
01-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Man, a guy finds a product he likes and lets everyone know. Everyone feels the need to jump on him because it is $120. Lighten up folks.

I can't afford a chimney for that price, and surely, I can see it is a nice product, that is out of my range. Unless this guy owns the company and is sneaking an advert in, why the angst?

Smith's Pig Pen
01-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing

ssv3
01-25-2014, 08:17 PM
It's a great quality product. If you've got nothing positive to say move along. If everyone bought a Weber then we we wouldn't have Langs, Klose, Yoders etc

I thought the PBC debates were bad. :shock:

Oh boy!

Offthehook
01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Cool design and a great product. Still a hard sell at that price point but I can see its usefulness.

Teleking
01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Got plenty of friends and I have two thermapens.

Typical 1%. I'm better cause I got more... Awesome. Does the help use the brilliant stuff you order them to use. Epic fail on an obvious ad vert.

Cheers

smoke ninja
01-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Man, a guy finds a product he likes and lets everyone know. Everyone feels the need to jump on him because it is $120. Lighten up folks.

I can't afford a chimney for that price, and surely, I can see it is a nice product, that is out of my range. Unless this guy owns the company and is sneaking an advert in, why the angst?

Thank you bilestoad for the post.
Thanks landarc for pointing out we're duches.
My first post was un-ninja like. I will try harder next time.

Teleking
01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Not to mention any maroon can seem to light charcoal without entering the burn unit. Who's the maroon to actually need one of these? Again $20 bucks I'm in. $120 right!

kds9547
01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Typical 1%. I'm better cause I got more... Awesome. Does the help use the brilliant stuff you order them to use. Epic fail on an obvious ad vert.

Cheers

I have no connection to the manufacturer I'm simply saying it is an awesome American made product that will last a lifetime. You have no idea what you're talking about because you haven't seen or used one. So move on to something you actually know something about.

Sillius Sodus
01-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Not to mention any maroon can seem to light charcoal without entering the burn unit. Who's the maroon to actually need one of these? Again $20 bucks I'm in. $120 right!

Maroon? Twice, even in the same post? You'd probably better stick to completing seventh grade before you worry about trying to call someone out for their choice of a charcoal container.

Pappy
01-25-2014, 10:01 PM
You could modify a weber chimney to drop from the bottom ..... or just rotate your wrist.
Interesting design. Thanks for posting.

smileyman
01-25-2014, 11:06 PM
nice design and new twist on a old product. But the price stops me from buying one. Thanks for posting it, I enjoy seeing all kinds of BBQ "toys".

Fwismoker
01-25-2014, 11:20 PM
You could modify a weber chimney to drop from the bottom ..... or just rotate your wrist.
Interesting design. Thanks for posting. Just from a humor stand point this gave me a seriously good short laugh...thank you:biggrin1:

64Driver
01-25-2014, 11:33 PM
I didn't join this forum that long ago, but man....this is such a hostile thread. Here I thought this was supposed to be the best forum around. Some people need to lighten up.

Vision
01-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Typical 1%.

1. You don't know anything about him.

2. Other peoples money is not your business. Go make your own.

THoey1963
01-26-2014, 06:12 AM
I haven't been on this forum long, but this is the first time I have seen a thread like this.

I will agree that this is a cool item that is way over priced (in my opinion). But, then again, some of you have several smokers, any of which cost any where from the several hundreds to several thousands of dollars. I have a really nice "grill" that I can kinda smoke on and I am thinking of trying to build a cheap smoker to expand my cooking ability.

Fourty-four posts in this thread. Fourty-five including mine. If it ain't for you, ignore and move on. That's my motto. That's what I will do...

Oh, and it does seem like an ad...

Diesel Dave
01-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Wow!

This is the Brethren, not the I'll tell you what and how......you are :tsk:

HERE (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81360) and HERE (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123923) are a couple posts you need to read.
I'm not the most PC person around, but to slam on someone for posting something they like and find useful to them just isn't what this forum is about.

A quote from deguerre
Step back for a moment.

Take a breath.

RELAX.

Reflect on what you are about to say instead of merely reacting.

Be civil.

Treat others with respect regardless.

We are Brethren, this forum is for us, and is unique in that it embraces all who come to it.

Thanks for posting this, it is a great product and there are many members here who have them and seriously enjoy them.
I hope you enjoy yours and it gives you a lifetime of great use.

Schmoke
01-26-2014, 07:41 AM
All the slams ... at first anyway ... were about the price. No one slammed the OP, unless you call 'Is this an ad?' a slam. It was the *price* we have a problem with. Someone said 'That's a healthy profit margin!'. Ding! +1.

The personals started when the 'I guess you can't afford it then' subtopic began.

The price is ridiculous. Absurd. That's where it ends.

smoke ninja
01-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Every post til landarc s "was dang that's expensive" (even mine). I have seen my error, yall should to. Everyone with a thermopen should take a look in the mirror if they think 120 for a chimney is a lot. I could do a comp (not that I do) with one wsm 18. That doesn't mean a jambo is a waste of money.
It's not what was posted, it's the tone of your voice.

Schmoke
01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
I think folks are confusing 'I can't afford that', with 'I'm not paying $119 for that'.

BIG difference.

superdan
01-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I can't believe I missed all this action yesterday! Sorry it took me so long to jump in.

OK, let me throw out a couple of things then I'll give you the low down on all of it (sorry it's gonna be so long, but the whole story is even so much longer!):

1. This was not an ad. The original poster has no interest in these things except that he bought one and likes it.

2. I make these out of my garage as a hobby.

3. I'm not at all upset by any of this - Just want to throw that out there. I'm a big fan of healthy debate.

4. Not sure why I feel compelled to give the whole story but I guess it's because I feel part of this community and don't want anyone to think somebody is trying to "screw" anybody. Believe me, that is not my goal at all.

Some of you guys know more about how these came to be than others but essentially what happened was 4 or 5 years ago I had an offset that's firebox was too small to flip my Weber chimney over in. I scoured the internets looking for a chimney that would let me pull a lever to drop the bottom out and couldn't find one.

Me and my buddy (who used to work in sheet metal design) figured we could make one and get myself one. So we drew one up and spent way too much money having a metal guy cut me cold rolled steel for it. Why? Because it was a cool idea and I really wanted one. I guess I like my toys. Well, the first one was messed up and at that point, not willing to give in to defeat, we modified it using various power tools and a buddy's welder with some re-bar and made it work.

Then my buddy who loaned me his welder (who happens to like toys as much as I do) mentioned how much he liked it. His wife happened to be around and since he has like 5 weber kettles she emailed me and said "Do you think you could make two of these for my husband for Christmas?" My initial thought was there's no way, it'll cost way too much but I figured we'd fix the design and see what we could get material for.

So I sent the specs back to the metal guy and he says another obscene amount of money to make two of them. Literally like 250 in material (I don't remember exactly it was many years ago). So just for kicks I ask him about making 25. For the cold rolled, the material on that was around 50 some bucks a piece, just in material. I then check with about 20 other metal places. Many of whom told me what a waste of time it is. One guy literally laughed at me. But that's besides the point.

I go back to the local guy here and we talk a bit - he says to me, you know, if you're going to spend this much money, you may as well just go stainless - I've already set the requirement for all American material and he says the US Stainless is awesome. The material cost is more (pushes the metal cost up to about 70 bucks) but it'd be way cooler and last forever. So I said, what the heck and dished out a bunch of cash to get 25 cut and bent. Then I bought all the nuts, bolts, springs, etc. and used my father-in-laws little wood shop to knock out some handles and bought 25 boxes for them.

So then I had a guy at works high school son put up a web page and the rest is history. Little did I know how much shipping costs were going to be (I'm in Sacramento and the vast majority are shipped to the South-East. Roll Tide!) and all I was doing was going into the UPS store and paying them to send them.

Fast forward a while and the guy from Mad Cow Cutlery was kind enough to let me sell them through his store taking advantage of his shipping contract. Maybe that's a trade secret or something, but whatever. And here we are today.

I really don't know that there was much of point to this long rambled post but to say there isn't some huge profit I'm making on these. To be honest, it's a horrible business model in the tiny quantity I do.

It's really just a hobby on a toy I thought was cool. If someone else is in the position to buy one and likes it, that makes me happy. If I was looking for a money making business, this would not be it. I'll probably never recoup the cost of the original one I made. I just love BBQ and BBQ toys and figured if anyone else found it useful or fun to have, they can have one.

I would LOVE to sell them for 20 bucks a piece. Hell, I'd love to give them away. If anyone out there knows some steel fab guys in America who can get me all US Stainless (and I do require it to be all American) for a good price where I don't have to buy 10,000 of them (since I do want to park in my garage) I would love to know. And I'm completely serious on that since the guy that does mine gives me a great deal doing it as fill work when his machines are idle just because he is trying to help me out.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Have a great weekend all! I think I'll go cook some pork chops ;)

dan
charcoal.chimney@gmail.com

16Adams
01-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Now I heard our President say this story is BS. No one takes an idea, turns it into a business without the governments help !!!

Just kidding. Those of us that have started up and own a business know how stupid that remark was. I am extremely proud if you taking an idea, putting your stamp of improvement and attempting a go of it.

Like I posted earlier. This cool idea will make a great and unique college graduation or wedding gift. After I get one for myself.

Smoothsmoke
01-26-2014, 11:05 AM
The bottom trap door is cool man. Better patent that!

Ron_L
01-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Mod Note:

I am appalled at what I just read! A member comes on here to tell us about a product that he has purchased, used and is excited about and he is accused of posting an ad and a maroon for using the product! Others express their opinion about the product and they are called morons and maroons (Bugs Bunny much? :) ).

Stop the personal attacks and name calling! Treat each other like adults and with some respect! There is nothing wrong with posting about a product that you have used and enjoyed. There is also nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about the product, price point, design, etc, but do it with some civility!

We've said this before. If you can't add value to a conversion, or can't comment in a polite, respectful manner, move on. Go read another thread or step away for a few minutes and come back and try to post again.

If you see a post that you feel violate our rules (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685), use the report post button and let the moderators deal with it. That's why we're here.

deguerre
01-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks Ron. I like the design, ever since it was a prize in a raffle here some time back. Had to leave this thread alone after page one though.

superlazy
01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Yikes!! I'll stick to my $15 Weber

motoeric
01-26-2014, 04:19 PM
No one slammed the OP, unless you call 'Is this an ad?' a slam.

That was me. I saw the OP and that he had something like 6 posts and was concerned that it was a sock puppet. That was a mistake. Not the assumption, but that I made an assumption at all. Even if I thought that it was an ad and I had some evidence to back it up, it's not my position to comment. I should have alerted a mod about my suspicions.

I apologize to the OP and to Dan for adding to the negativity of the thread. It was an error in judgement and the fault is mine.

Eric

superdan
01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
That was me. I saw the OP and that he had something like 6 posts and was concerned that it was a sock puppet. That was a mistake. Not the assumption, but that I made an assumption at all. Even if I thought that it was an ad and I had some evidence to back it up, it's not my position to comment. I should have alerted a mod about my suspicions.

I apologize to the OP and to Dan for adding to the negativity of the thread. It was an error in judgement and the fault is mine.

Eric

No need to apologize to me but I will graciously accept it. Really it's all good with me. BBQ is fun and I love reading this site because we are all passionate about it.

landarc
01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Motoeric is class all the way, I know this personally.

And I would note, this is apparently an all-American, stainless steel (American stainless steel) product, made of quality stuff if I am to believe the reports. WTH, I still can't afford one, but, this appears to be what a lot of folks want. If I owned a Jambo or Klose, you can bet I would also own one of these.

Chef Jim
01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't use a Chimney any longer. Weed eater is much faster. Try one and you'll never go back.

superdan
01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't use a Chimney any longer. Weed eater is much faster. Try one and you'll never go back.

How much string does that take?

Just kidding!!! I know you meant weed burner, I just couldn't help lightening things up (pun intended ;)

SmokinJohn
01-26-2014, 07:15 PM
12 bucks for my chimney that is 10 years old.
107 for meat.

Pass.....

But I think the idea is great, given the flames of hell that shoot out of mine.

Chef Jim
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
This should never happen. "Too many Maroon's I guess."

This is what my first thought was. But that should not happen either. Lord knows I don't spell that well.

My first day back in a long time, and yes I said weed eater instead of weed burner and only got a joke about it. That's what should happen.

Jim