PDA

View Full Version : Venison hind quarter help

wladrules
01-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Got a venison hindquarter that I want to smoke. I want to keep it as moist and tender as possible. I've seen a bunch of recipes online but they are all so different that it makes me think nobody really has a tried and true recipe. Any suggestions? I have a stick burner and a uds. Thanks in advance!!

Firefighter
01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
The only advise I have is don't over cook it, 130* to 140* tops.

wladrules
01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
The only advise I have is don't over cook it, 130* to 140* tops.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

NRA4Life
01-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Debone it, dry rub it where you just pulled the bone out and then lay bacon in that same area. Roll it up so that bacon and rub is enclosed in the meat. Then dry rub the outside all over, set it in your smoker and lay more bacon on top of the meat. Smoke it like you'd smoke a chuckie, like maybe 250-265 until it has good color, maybe 5 hrs. Double wrap it in foil, or put in a foil pan and cover tightly with a cup or 2 of beef stock in the pan or foil. Put back on the smoker for about 2 more hours then check it to see if it will pull, if not, cover it back up and leave it on till it's done. I've done it that way and it's good!

wladrules
01-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Debone it, dry rub it where you just pulled the bone out and then lay bacon in that same area. Roll it up so that bacon and rub is enclosed in the meat. Then dry rub the outside all over, set it in your smoker and lay more bacon on top of the meat. Smoke it like you'd smoke a chuckie, like maybe 250-265 until it has good color, maybe 5 hrs. Double wrap it in foil, or put in a foil pan and cover tightly with a cup or 2 of beef stock in the pan or foil. Put back on the smoker for about 2 more hours then check it to see if it will pull, if not, cover it back up and leave it on till it's done. I've done it that way and it's good!

Awesome! So you pull it like a pork butt?

NRA4Life
01-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Awesome! So you pull it like a pork butt?

Yes, it'll pull/shred. It won't be as moist because deer doesn't have the fat that pork has but the bacon helps a little .

wladrules
01-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes, it'll pull/shred. It won't be as moist because deer doesn't have the fat that pork has but the bacon helps a little .

Gotcha.

Wolverine
01-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Yep what NRA said. I like to add Lipton onion soup (wet) to the beef broth

Firefighter
01-25-2014, 05:50 AM

I'm gonna have to try your method. It sounds pretty good I have never had it pulled before. I have had it over cooked tough and terrible before though....lol I like the idea of deboning and adding the bacon. That's why I like this place I learn something new on here every day.

NRA4Life
01-25-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna have to try your method. It sounds pretty good I have never had it pulled before. I have had it over cooked tough and terrible before though....lol I like the idea of deboning and adding the bacon. That's why I like this place I learn something new on here every day.

I like to cook the backstraps and tenderloins wrapped in bacon to about 125 deg internal temp, nice medium rare on them.

Hud
01-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Mix some Soy sause & Wesson oil or Olive oil together & paint it on for a sticker then put your rub on! I like to soak it a couple of days before I Q it in the barrel! Like they said, don't over cook it!