PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl BBQ Advice: Brisket + Pork Shoulder

Aztec1000
01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
OK, since I'm unlikely to get called up by either the Hawks or Broncos to play in the Super Bowl this year, I am doing the next hardest thing -- feeding friends. My hardware is a large Big Green Egg and twin electric wall ovens. I'm aiming for mealtime at 5pm.

Love to get your advice on my plan.

Brisket. I've tried hot/fast and it was so-so. Almost all my low/slow have turned out better. So, I'm thinking brisket goes on at midnight. Probably into the foil around 5am, as it usually does, and into the oven (and then into an Igloo loaded with tupperware full of hot water, until mealtime, 5pm-ish).

Pork shoulder. Never done one myself, other than inside a porchetta. I really like it without a crutch, because when pulled it's so much better with bark mixed in there. If I put it on the Egg (and re-fuel) at 5am-ish when the brisket comes off, is that enough time for a typical 10 pounder to finish by 5pm? Or do I need to crutch it to be sure?

FYI, my sides will be a dynamite potato salad and cole slaw (both adapted from Meathead G). Possibly a veggie lasagne to make the herbivores happy.

Redleg71
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Ok, people are going to disagree with this but I am convinced.......

Brisket is only about an hour a pound at 250, with the key of getting to 190 internal and probe tender, but after many so so sttempts I am absolutely convinced that doing one in the egg requires that the fat remain on and be placed facing up and that you have some water or beer in the drip pan to provide extra moisture. Every time I have added the water it turns out perfect and everyone loves brisket over pork. its just a fact.

Jason TQ
01-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Just crank the temp a little for that pork. Running 275-300 it would be done by 5pm with time to rest even without foiling more than likely. I like foiling or panning because I really like the juices at the end to mix back into the pork. But you could just put a pan underneath to grab the juices.

I don't start checking my briskets for doneness till close to 200. The hot water in tupperware seems like overkill in that cooler. I wrap with foil and a towel and it will hold for a long time.

Aztec1000
01-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I always end up at/above 200F for the best briskets. I leave plenty of fat on it, and use a pan below the grate (sitting on the platesetter) with water. All good. It's the combo of timing with pork that is the part I'm trying to figure out.

Diesel Dave
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Personally I'd go to the 275-300 range as well to be sure the pork is done on time.

snook806
01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
try this....you will never do your brisket another way.... courtesy of fellow brethren "Bludawg"

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2763058

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.