PDA

View Full Version : Should clod or Chuck roll

DanB
01-23-2014, 10:37 AM
HI All What would be a better cut to smoke n slice? Is either one better to take apart for smaller cuts? Seen bout cuts at RD
Thanks Dan
PS Just looking for another cut besides Brisket, which has ben coming out tasty n tender but DRY.

sliding_billy
01-23-2014, 10:51 AM
I prefer clod mostly because of flavor. I find it has a much "beefier" flavor. At the point of probe tender, I also find that it still has the ability to be sliced more so than chuck roll. I have seen clod as small as 13 lbs at RD, BTW. I have never seen a chuck roll that small. I have also cut larger clods in half or even in thirds with no issues. The meat is pretty consistent from end to end. Honestly, both of them benefit greatly from braising.

DanB
01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi Wish I could find a 13 lb clod in RD. Last time I was there they had only 20+ lbs of clod. Maybe next I'll get lucky and find a smaller one. Some of the clod will also be ground into meat for meatballs/hamburgers. If I new hot to cut it I could also get some Flat Iron steaks out of it.
Thanks Dan

sliding_billy
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Here is a pretty good video on how to cut the flat irons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JckyA5jwZ60

fantomlord
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
HI All What would be a better cut to smoke n slice? Is either one better to take apart for smaller cuts? Seen bout cuts at RD
Thanks Dan
PS Just looking for another cut besides Brisket, which has ben coming out tasty n tender but DRY.

you might not be cooking your briskets long enough if they are dry...

DanB
01-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi fantomlord: I've tried smoking Brisket 8/10 times, using different methods, with the same results..They all come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side. I use the probe test to test for doneness.Tried foil/un foiled wrapped in butcher paper like Franklin does. You name it I've tried it.:sad:. The only way I did not try yet, is hot n fast 300/350*

sliding_billy: Good video on how to get too the Flat Iron steaks..Just might give it a try
Thanks Dan

DanB
02-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi I will see "IF" I can find a smaller clod at RD next time I go. If not just might have to try my luck with the bigger ones, maybe cut IT down to a more manageable size.
Would I be better off with the Chuck Roll or the Shoulder Clod? Just looking for a replacement for Brisket
Thanks Dan

Q-Dat
02-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Hi fantomlord: I've tried smoking Brisket 8/10 times, using different methods, with the same results..They all come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side. I use the probe test to test for doneness.Tried foil/un foiled wrapped in butcher paper like Franklin does. You name it I've tried it.:sad:. The only way I did not try yet, is hot n fast 300/350*

sliding_billy: Good video on how to get too the Flat Iron steaks..Just might give it a try
Thanks Dan

Tough and dry means undercooked brisket.

Tender and dry means overcooked brisket, or that it wasn't rested properly. You may be overshooting probe tender. It will probe easily when its over cooked just like when its perfectly done. You might want to start probing sooner and if its not ready start sticking it every 30 minutes for tenderness.

BBQ_MAFIA
02-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Hey Dan:
Watch this video. He does a real good job of breaking the meat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvfTV7cunhI

I love the Shoulder Clod.
I hope things work out for you.

sliding_billy
02-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Neither is a replacement for brisket, but as I mentioned I think clod slices better. Also, clod is fine to cut in half. There isn't a big difference in one side or the other like a brisket flat and point. I normally cut mine in half or thirds (to 7-9 lbs) depending on how big a clod I buy. If you are having problems with dry brisket, I don;t think that the chuck or clod is going to solve it. They are both very lean for starters. You might as well do pulled brisket (if it is just moisture that you want) at a much cheaper price point.

DanB
02-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi All My thought was that either the Chuck Roll or Clod would be a little more forgiving than a brisket. My Briskets so far have come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side.After the 1st dinner, Im usually snack on the cold brisket, while watching TV.Taste even better cold and the next day.
Thanks DanB

sliding_billy
02-06-2014, 02:22 AM
I think it is the opposite to be honest. Sliced chuck or clod can turn out REALLY dry if not cooked right, while brisket tends to be a LITTLE dry as long as it is close (having a fatty point helps of course). The window of doneness on brisket is actually a lot better, IMO.

DanB
02-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Tough and dry means undercooked brisket.

Tender and dry means overcooked brisket, or that it wasn't rested properly. You may be overshooting probe tender. It will probe easily when its over cooked just like when its perfectly done. You might want to start probing sooner and if its not ready start sticking it every 30 minutes for tenderness.

I've always probed my briskets,sooner/later with the same results. Always rested and so forth..Did "ALL" the right things, they do come out tender n tasty but dry.
Taste really good cold on the next night.
DanB
PS The only thing I haven't tried yet was the hot n fast method. The only trouble with H n F is I will have a short window, to get it right..

bbqgeekess
02-09-2014, 11:38 AM
This sliced beef clod was tasty :

http://i58.tinypic.com/33uafzd.jpg

Q-Dat
02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I've always probed my briskets,sooner/later with the same results. Always rested and so forth..Did "ALL" the right things, they do come out tender n tasty but dry.
Taste really good cold on the next night.
DanB
PS The only thing I haven't tried yet was the hot n fast method. The only trouble with H n F is I will have a short window, to get it right..

Do you mind if i ask where you are getting your briskets and what the grade is? You might be a victim of poor brisket quality. Cooking hotter might help like you are saying. I keep it at around 300 when I cook brisket. Also what are you cooking on?

I don't mean to hijack this and make it about brisket, but it sounds like you would really like to nail it and that you're probably pretty close.

DanB
02-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Do you mind if i ask where you are getting your briskets and what the grade is? You might be a victim of poor brisket quality. Cooking hotter might help like you are saying. I keep it at around 300 when I cook brisket. Also what are you cooking on?

I don't mean to hijack this and make it about brisket, but it sounds like you would really like to nail it and that you're probably pretty close.

Hi I started getting my Briskets at Walmart, they were choice.Then I joined Restaurant Depot and have been getting CAB Briskets from them.
I started smoking with a Master Forge Vertical Smoker, now I have COS Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit..Cooking times have been from 225-275.
Thanks DanB

Q-Dat
02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi I started getting my Briskets at Walmart, they were choice.Then I joined Restaurant Depot and have been getting CAB Briskets from them.
I started smoking with a Master Forge Vertical Smoker, now I have COS Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit..Cooking times have been from 225-275.
Thanks DanB

Ahh ok those COS while perfectly capable of producing good Q have a lot of air moving through them. it could be that you are losing moisture that way. Do you wrap during the cook?

DanB
02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Ahh ok those COS while perfectly capable of producing good Q have a lot of air moving through them. it could be that you are losing moisture that way. Do you wrap during the cook?

Hi Some times the brisket is wrapped. Two things I haven't tried yet is.
1. inject
2. Hot n Fast.
I really don't want to inject. I"d just like to taste the beef flavor.
Thanks Dan
PS Snow is forecasted for all day on Thursday. So I'm thinking, if I'm going to be home all day, why not do and oven Brisket.
Thanks Dan

Q-Dat
02-11-2014, 10:40 AM
PS Snow is forecasted for all day on Thursday. So I'm thinking, if I'm going to be home all day, why not do and oven Brisket.
Thanks Dan

Speaking of the oven, have you tried or heard of Pitmaster T's Night Train brisket experiment? It involves cooking a brisket in the oven. Its designed to teach someone who is unfamiliar with cooking brisket what end result they are looking for in terms of texture and moisture. I used to struggle pretty bad with brisket inconsistency. The Night Train was the single most important thing I ever did to learn what I was shooting for.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5781QUOTE=DanB;2800060]

If you're planning to cook one in the oven anyway.....

DanB
02-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Q-Dat The link did not work?

I was at Restaurant Depot today Angus Chuck Rolls and Clods were 22 lbs and over. Way to big for me right now, plus with more snow coming 6"-12", it will be awhile before I can get to my smoker.

I did pick up a a 11 lbs Brisket. I will use some of the brisket for ground meat. The rest will go into the oven, either Weds night or Thursday morning.
Thanks Dan
PS I do see Beef prices going up a lot.

Q-Dat
02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
OK looks like I screwed up while copying and pasting the link. This one should work.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57815&highlight=night+train

DanB
02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi All Here is a link to lastest brisket try.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181610
DanB