PDA

View Full Version : The Good-One Cooker

Ron_L
05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience with The Good-One Model 42 (http://www.thegood-one.com/)cooker? There is a lot of info on the BBQ Forum and the National BBQ News forums, and 95% of it is good, but I am wondering if any of the Brethren have used one or seen one.

Thanks!

wishinfishin
05-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Yes, I have one...I have the patio model, but they all work the same way. The one I have is rather small for cooking more than one or two racks of ribs, one briskett or 2 butts...2 chickens. The model your looking at is much larger than what I have. They have good concept on heat and smoke rises up thru the meat, not across. In my opinion, I would do some price comapring to say a Backwoods Smoker, or something similar. I don't have anything bad to say about them. Mine works great for the backyard.

Doorbusters
05-25-2006, 06:56 AM
There is one on Ebay right now. I will post a link in awhile.

Doorbusters
05-25-2006, 07:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-BBQ-Good-One-Smoker-Grill-Model-42_W0QQitemZ4465078870QQcategoryZ20723QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Here you go! From what I have heard, the design is pretty good, but very light gauge steel. My .02 worth.

Ron_L
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah... That's the one I am considering. Shhh... Don't tell anyone that its there... :-D I'm waiting for the owner to either post or send me some pictures of the actual cooker. The pic in the listing is a stock photo.

The thin steel is a concern, but I've exchanged messages with a few guys off of the BBQ forum and the National BBQ News forum who own one of the Good-one backyard cookers and no one has had problems in cold weather cooks (even with Chicago winter temps). Besides, I will still have my Cookshack for the really cold weather cooks. It has 1000 degree insulation, so it laughs at below zero air temps! The biggest complaint I've seen so far is the temperature differential from the lowest to the highest racks, and this seems to be controllable by proper adjustment of the intake vents and the baffle.

I have looked at a lot of cookers, and in order to stay within my budget, I'm most likely going to buy used, and even then it will have to be close enough for me to pick it up. Shipping from Texas (for example) will kill me. This guy is willing to meet me at about the half-way point, about two hours drive, so that's not bad. I'd love to grab the BYC that's on eBay right now, but I can't justify driving 900 miles one way to pick it up (even though YFF did that for his).

kcquer
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
but very light gauge steel. My .02 worth.

At the "buy it now" price that's not too bad a deal. At retail I'd say your paying Klose prices for a Bandera built cooker. The other real bummer is that you can't burn logs in it, I hear they love lump so plan on breaking out your checkbook later for fuel.

Jeff_in_KC
05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Scott, we used splits in the Good-One we had at the Royal but it was small like from Fairlane Wood and the real logs as I suspect you're talking about would not fit. I was told by the owner that lump is the way to go. He was shocked to find out he could extend his burn time by using Kingsford! LOL! We got about three hours on a burn before adding fuel. It was the damnest thing I ever saw! Fire control was so easy it was practically child-friendly!

NorthernQ
05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I use a Good One clone 30" x 60" shelves. I used 7 ga steel throughout and insulated the firebox. The design is good and it is a real fuel mizer. I cook a 110 lb hog and a lot more on 40 lb of lump.
Log burning is not a problem for me.